Do preceptor docs get help paying for their malpractice insurance from med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a preceptor who frequently complains that she never wanted to take medical students. I'm just going to assume she's not making these comments because she hates me.

I'm too afraid to ask her, but I heard a doc one time say she teaches lectures at our med school and takes students because they pay her mal practice and as an OBGYN, that is a butt load of money she saves. Anyone know if this is the case for preceptors who just take students? Cause if that's the case then I'd be all about taking students. I have to imagine they get some kind of compensation for their time, I'm literally with this doc 12+ hours a day. Maybe not though, I could see it going either way.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t get anything to take students. But I also don’t pay malpractice insurance premiums myself.

I have a preceptor who frequently complains that she never wanted to take medical students. I'm just going to assume she's not making these comments because she hates me.

I'm too afraid to ask her, but I heard a doc one time say she teaches lectures at our med school and takes students because they pay her mal practice and as an OBGYN, that is a butt load of money she saves. Anyone know if this is the case for preceptors who just take students? Cause if that's the case then I'd be all about taking students. I have to imagine they get some kind of compensation for their time, I'm literally with this doc 12+ hours a day. Maybe not though, I could see it going either way.
My school provides a pitiful amount of malpractice coverage for myself (like below 10k) and pays the preceptors a bit over a 1k for 4 weeks. The away rotation I am at somehow provides a million in liability for visiting students. And I assume my school doesn't pay them for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school provides a pitiful amount of malpractice coverage for myself (like below 10k) and pays the preceptors a bit over a 1k for 4 weeks. The away rotation I am at somehow provides a million in liability for visiting students. And I assume my school doesn't pay them for it.

That’s messed up. My school carried $2million on each of us as a student.

That said, in a law-suit scenario; you’re basically never gonna get named in a suit as a medical student or resident.

Last edited:

That said, in a law-suit scenario; you’re basically never gonna get named in a suit as a medical student or resident.

Really? I know a few residents that have had medical malpractice cases against them. One case the resident was essentially the main defendant (just had to testify in court recently) because the attending didn’t even see the patient. (The attending didn’t do anything wrong, in the outpatient setting they don’t have to see every single patient).

Residents can definitely be named in malpractice cases. Plaintiffs tend to name as many involved as possible. Depends on the level of involvement with the case as to how far it goes.

Of course residents CAN...I didn’t say that you couldn’t be sued as a resident. Just that it’s not common.

I am peripherally involved as a fact witness in a case where a resident is being sued at the moment. But it’s far from the norm. The attending; the attendings medical group, and the hospital are also named.

Usually they just go after the attending, and the hospital/HCO. The hospital is the party with the truly deep pockets, so they usually focus on trying to prove the hospital/policies were at fault.

Last edited: