Handpieces/burs suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S_Diamond_DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to purchase the following handpieces/parts as well as burs, any suggestions?

Air driven High Speed, Slow Speed, Motor, Coupler, Straight, burs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I need to purchase the following handpieces/parts as well as burs, any suggestions?

Air driven High Speed, Slow Speed, Motor, Coupler, Straight, burs

I’m starting a peds residency if that makes a difference.

Get an electric handpiece that connects to airwater. Faster, more efficient, and you don't need a slow speed attachment. NSKs make good electric handpieces, and pretty cheap too. Burs for peds are your preference. I like 830-008 diamonds for ultraconservative ped-preps. However, I am phasing out all pediatrics in my office soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Get an electric handpiece that connects to airwater. Faster, more efficient, and you don't need a slow speed attachment. NSKs make good electric handpieces, and pretty cheap too. Burs for peds are your preference. I like 830-008 diamonds for ultraconservative ped-preps. However, I am phasing out all pediatrics in my office soon.
lol Tanman what will you have left? no removable, no pedo...just gonna do RCT/BU/Crowns/Fillings and occasional implants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice I’ll look into it! Unfortunately my residency is only set-up for air driven, would you still suggest NSK products?

lol Tanman what will you have left? no removable, no pedo...just gonna do RCT/BU/Crowns/Fillings and occasional implants?

Yep, cutting out the unproductives in the office. RCT/BU/Crn/Fills/Implants/Hyg/LANAP. I'm filled to capacity many times and I need more room for productive procedures.

Thanks for the advice I’ll look into it! Unfortunately my residency is only set-up for air driven, would you still suggest NSK products?

That's the beauty of NSK electrics. Those air driven units are easily convertible to electrics - literally plug and play with the same rheostat and everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Those air driven units are easily convertible to electrics - literally plug and play with the same rheostat and everything.

Cool, I would prefer electric. How do I convert an air driven unit to electric?

Been working with $20 handpieces from China the last 3 years. Boss buys them from MadeInChina.com. SeaSky I believe. Basically disposable. They cut with a little muscle.

Would not recommend.

Reactions: 1 users
Cool, I would prefer electric. How do I convert an air driven unit to electric?

Here's a picture of the back of an NSK unit:
electrics - Copy.jpg

Top is AC plug, middle is the electric handpiece cord, bottom is normally where the 5/6 hole coupler goes. The rheostat controls the bottom that controls the speed of the electric in the middle.

Here's a picture of the back of an NSK unit:
View attachment 337484

Top is AC plug, middle is the electric handpiece cord, bottom is normally where the 5/6 hole coupler goes. The rheostat controls the bottom that controls the speed of the electric in the middle.
Awesome. Thank you!