Carbonic anhydrase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that carbonic anhydrase catalyzes both the forward and reverse reaction of CO2 and bicarbonate, but what are the physiological changes associated with a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor?

Also, the pH doesn't change when carbonic anhydrase is added/taken out of a solution, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Carbonic anyhdrase inhibitors could be used to treat ulcers since inhibiting CA would result in a lower acidity of the gastic juice. It's also used for treating things like glaucoma and epilepsy. That's as much as I know about CA inhibitors.

Taking CA out of solution wouldn't affect pH I don't think. CA just speeds up the reaction and shouldn't affect which way it proceeds predominantly.

the rate of gas exchange in the lungs would decrease with a CA inhibitor. But remember that we also cant increase the rate of gas exchange because this is based upon concentration gradients and we cant alter the amount of O2 in the air, unless we go up to the top of a mountain where the O2 concentration will be much lower. Then we will also decrease the rate of gas exchange.

Anyone know if there are any others?

Carbonic anyhdrase inhibitors could be used to treat ulcers since inhibiting CA would result in a lower acidity of the gastic juice. It's also used for treating things like glaucoma and epilepsy. That's as much as I know about CA inhibitors.

Taking CA out of solution wouldn't affect pH I don't think. CA just speeds up the reaction and shouldn't affect which way it proceeds predominantly.

if an inhibitor increases the pH, why does taking CA not affect pH?

What CA does is that it converts CO2 and H2O into H+ and Bicarbonate and vice versa. My guess is that CA inhibitors will just ****** the body's response to a pH change.