Carbonyl Compounds I, II, III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSABeach

Got a Dream Go Get it!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a HUGE issue of getting this all down. I am sort of getting Carbonyl I, C=O and is nuccleophilic. Carbonyl II is not nucleophilic Aldehydes and ketones sorta of understanding not completely. Carbonyl III Not getting it! Anyone good with this area of giving me crash course on this huge exam tomorrow. help:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a HUGE issue of getting this all down. I am sort of getting Carbonyl I, C=O and is nuccleophilic. Carbonyl II is not nucleophilic Aldehydes and ketones sorta of understanding not completely. Carbonyl III Not getting it! Anyone good with this area of giving me crash course on this huge exam tomorrow. help:scared:

I dont know what I,II and III mean but in a nutshell,
Aldehydes and Ketones follow nucleophilic addition reactions while carboxylic acid/derivatives follow nucleophilic substitution reactions. The mechanisms for these can be found in any college organic chem text.

Class I Carbonyl compounds can be divided into two classes. Carbonyl compounds I are those in which the acyl group is attached to an atom or a group that can be replace by another group. Carboxylic acids, acyl alides, acid anhydrides, esters, -Cl, -Br, -O(CO)R, -OR, -NH2, -NHR, or -NR2 that can be replaced by a nucleophile. Acyl halides, acid anhydrides, esters, and amides are all called carboxylic acid derivatives because they differ from a carboxylic acid only in the nature of the group that has replaced the OH group of the carrboxylic acid.

Class II carbonyl compounds are those in which the acyl group is attached to a group that cannot be readily replaced by another group. Aldehydes and ketones belong to this class. The -H and alkyl or aryl (-R or -Ar) groups of aldehydes and ketones cannot be replaced by a nucleophile.

Class III carbonyl compounds Reactions at the a-Carbon. Having a tough time ... here. aldehydes, ketones, esters, and N,N-disubstituted amides have a second site of reactivity. A hydrogen bonded to a carbon adjacent to a carbonyl carbon.

Just getting all the reactions together with whom and where???

Ya ive never heard of Carbonyl I, II, and III

Members don't see this ad :)
Class I Carbonyl compounds can be divided into two classes. Carbonyl compounds I are those in which the acyl group is attached to an atom or a group that can be replace by another group. Carboxylic acids, acyl alides, acid anhydrides, esters, -Cl, -Br, -O(CO)R, -OR, -NH2, -NHR, or -NR2 that can be replaced by a nucleophile. Acyl halides, acid anhydrides, esters, and amides are all called carboxylic acid derivatives because they differ from a carboxylic acid only in the nature of the group that has replaced the OH group of the carrboxylic acid.

Class II carbonyl compounds are those in which the acyl group is attached to a group that cannot be readily replaced by another group. Aldehydes and ketones belong to this class. The -H and alkyl or aryl (-R or -Ar) groups of aldehydes and ketones cannot be replaced by a nucleophile.

Class III carbonyl compounds Reactions at the a-Carbon. Having a tough time ... here. aldehydes, ketones, esters, and N,N-disubstituted amides have a second site of reactivity. A hydrogen bonded to a carbon adjacent to a carbonyl carbon.

Just getting all the reactions together with whom and where???

I asked my teacher about different classes of carbonyl's and she never heard of em...looked in the text book and it mentioned nothing about em. Seems kind of redundant to lean how each of the reactions work then putting them in classes. You should know how the different carbonyl's are related just by how they react.

I'm taking Organic II it's out of the Organic Chemistry fourth edition By Paula Yurkanis Bruice book. It's how my professor is teaching us and he is not good at it ! 35 yrs or not ... he talks to himself looking at the board. He writes reactions on the board and erases before you can see it and write it down. So, I was looking for some help and guidance here. Not doing so hot in his class:(

I asked my teacher about different classes of carbonyl's and she never heard of em...looked in the text book and it mentioned nothing about em. Seems kind of redundant to lean how each of the reactions work then putting them in classes. You should know how the different carbonyl's are related just by how they react.

I'm taking Organic II it's out of the Organic Chemistry fourth edition By Paula Yurkanis Bruice book. It's how my professor is teaching us and he is not good at it ! 35 yrs or not ... he talks to himself looking at the board. He writes reactions on the board and erases before you can see it and write it down. So, I was looking for some help and guidance here. Not doing so hot in his class:(

Personally, I think it would be more beneficial to learn each of the reactions rather than worrying what type of carbonyl might be involved. Now I dont know whats on the DAT. I personally hope they wont ask questions like "Which one of these is a class I carbonyl?" I got lucky and my teacher is pretty good ...she will show you the mechanism of a particular reaction and also simplifies why it does what it does...but I still have to do a lot of the work on my own outside of class.

If your prof. sucks I would say go through it on your own. If you understand why the reactions are happening the way they are, its easier to sort of reason your way through a reaction that you may not have seen much of. If your book sucks too...well you might need to get a different book. I have "Organic Chemistry" 6th Edition by L.G. Wade, Jr. (Really creative with the titles eh?:laugh: )

I was a gen chem idiot, but I find Orgo to be much more logical.

My professor was very grouchy tonight! He said, he was not going to give us an outline sheet anymore for a study guide for up coming test because he's been doing us a disservice by doing that... etc. He mumbles all the time ... I will have to learn this on my own. I was thinking about buying the Organic24 program it says, you can learn organic in 24 hours ... I could go for that!
Anyone hear or had the product that could give some objective on?

http://www.chemistry24.com/

Personally, I think it would be more beneficial to learn each of the reactions rather than worrying what type of carbonyl might be involved. Now I dont know whats on the DAT. I personally hope they wont ask questions like "Which one of these is a class I carbonyl?" I got lucky and my teacher is pretty good ...she will show you the mechanism of a particular reaction and also simplifies why it does what it does...but I still have to do a lot of the work on my own outside of class.

If your prof. sucks I would say go through it on your own. If you understand why the reactions are happening the way they are, its easier to sort of reason your way through a reaction that you may not have seen much of. If your book sucks too...well you might need to get a different book. I have "Organic Chemistry" 6th Edition by L.G. Wade, Jr. (Really creative with the titles eh?:laugh: )

I was a gen chem idiot, but I find Orgo to be much more logical.

My professor was very grouchy tonight! He said, he was not going to give us an outline sheet anymore for a study guide for up coming test because he's been doing us a disservice by doing that... etc. He mumbles all the time ... I will have to learn this on my own. I was thinking about buying the Organic24 program it says, you can learn organic in 24 hours ... I could go for that!
Anyone hear or had the product that could give some objective on?

Hmm that 24 hour stuff looks pretty cool....would take way more than 24 hours if it was your first time learning it, but might be a nice review for DAT. I may give it a stab.

If you need any help with Orgo let me know and I will try and help you out (unless its about Classes of carbonyl's lol). Orgo is my strong suit...gen chem, not so much :laugh:

LOL, OK no class I, II, III's. I think I am going to take a stab at the 24 hour organic and chemistry program online and start going over the concepts, again, and again. Then, hit the reactions the text book. Professor is just not showing us how to setup reactions/mechanisms ... etc.

If this was the case the college should make this a online lecture course instead.:mad:

Hmm that 24 hour stuff looks pretty cool....would take way more than 24 hours if it was your first time learning it, but might be a nice review for DAT. I may give it a stab.

If you need any help with Orgo let me know and I will try and help you out (unless its about Classes of carbonyl's lol). Orgo is my strong suit...gen chem, not so much :laugh:

I paid for the online organic course tutorial it's really great! I learned more in 45 mins. about carbonxylic acids than, in the last two weeks of reading my text and professor.