Taking the DAT without Organic chem II advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LidocaineMane32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I’m a full time Dental Hygienist and have to take evening classes due to my work schedule (limited class offerings during most semesters). I’m strongly considering taking the DAT around April 2020 and have not taken Orgo II yet (made an A in Orgo I). I’ve made an A in all of my other prerequisites but have to devote a lot of time to make that happen. For those who’ve taken the DAT or have been preparing, what advice can you give before I begin this difficult/rewarding journey?

Also, any recommendations on DAT prep materials? Finances are not an issue and I’m considering Prepping with DAT Bootcamp, PAT Booster, possibly DAT Destroyer and any other prep materials that could help. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I personally believe you should never take the DAT until all of the prerequisite courses for the DAT are complete, especially general and organic chemistry. You always need to know the concepts behind the questions before hopping into practice questions or the exam itself.

As for prep materials, I stuck to strictly the Destroyer materials + PATBooster and did pretty well. No one does poorly using those two resources, as has been mentioned in many threads before. If you do decide to go into the exam without completing Orgo II, which I suggest against again, the Destroyer OC section is an absolute must (as are all of the sections, quite honestly). Feel free to check out my breakdown (in my signature) for how I studied specifically.

Best of luck!

It honestly just depends on how much time you're going to have to study. I just took my DAT in August without OCHEM2 and did fine. I did nothing but study 8-12hrs a day, 5 days a week for 2.5 months though. You'll be the only one that can decide if you can do it. I used dat Boot camp exclusively without having taken any biology courses or chemistry courses for 13 yrs. It is adequate if you put in the effort.

Plus it makes ochem2 so much easier when you do take it.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s completely doable. I took it over Christmas break between Organic 1 & organic 2, so I did have organic 1 fresh in my mind. I got a 26 on the organic section. For my test, I may have gotten a little lucky that there wasn’t a ton of organic 2, but I felt prepared for it had there been. You have all the basic concepts already from organic 1, so you really just have to memorize additional reactions. I used Bootcamp & went through the destroyer questions. I also watched YouTube videos for some of the reactions that were throwing me off.

So, again, I don’t think it will be a problem as long as you give the organic 2 materials from bootcamp (or whatever resource) enough attention. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s completely doable. I took it over Christmas break between Organic 1 & organic 2, so I did have organic 1 fresh in my mind. I got a 26 on the organic section. For my test, I may have gotten a little lucky that there wasn’t a ton of organic 2, but I felt prepared for it had there been. You have all the basic concepts already from organic 1, so you really just have to memorize additional reactions. I used Bootcamp & went through the destroyer questions. I also watched YouTube videos for some of the reactions that were throwing me off.

So, again, I don’t think it will be a problem as long as you give the organic 2 materials from bootcamp (or whatever resource) enough attention. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I know it’ll be tough but I’m glad to hear that someone had succeeded without it.

Anything is doable, but you will have to put in a lot more effort, I assure you there is a fair amount of Orgo 2 on the DAT exam, more on some less on others, but the only want to avoid a retake it to go in fully prepared,, overkill, perhaps, but the goal is a 30! Competition is fierce in most schools especially state schools, where it's cheaper. You can find a lot of free Orgo Videos online.

Wishing you the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
It honestly just depends on how much time you're going to have to study. I just took my DAT in August without OCHEM2 and did fine. I did nothing but study 8-12hrs a day, 5 days a week for 2.5 months though. You'll be the only one that can decide if you can do it. I used dat Boot camp exclusively without having taken any biology courses or chemistry courses for 13 yrs. It is adequate if you put in the effort.

Plus it makes ochem2 so much easier when you do take it.
What score did you end up getting on orgo?

I would not take the dat without taking orgo. Orgo is the easiest to score a 30 on because they dont go in depth on the mechanism and is pretty basic in comparison to actually taking the class. Taking an orgo class would make that section cake.