The discussion was about the ethical problem of letting a patient assume risks for herself. I am a libertarian by nature, so my vote goes to yes. Self-determination means that, if given all data, any adult should be allowed to decide the amount of risk s/he wants to take.
When we let people jump out of airplanes with parachutes "for fun", we ask that they sign a waiver, and that's it, although they could DIE! Why can't this happen in medicine: "I accept I could have a heart attack and even die on the table, if I undergo this surgery just 3 months after my stent placement. Signed: Patient John Doe"? What's the big philosophy here? Why doesn't a document like this waive any rights to sue for malpractice, in case of complications (such as death), except for egregious incompetence? Because that's how it would happen in 90+% of the countries in this world. Just sayin'...