Cardio Physiology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LubDub0824

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been getting myself confused about diastolic versus systolic blood pressures.

Alpha-1 agonists cause smooth muscle contraction and increase vasoconstriction, which increases diastolic blood pressure; meanwhile, beta-1 agonists increase chronotropy + ionotrophy, which increases the systolic BP. However, as age increases, there is a decrease in arterial compliance and this increases systolic blood pressure leading to a widened pulse pressure.

Am I understanding this correctly? And if so, can someone please explain how decrease compliance of a vessel and vasoconstriction are different and affect systolic and diastolic BPs respectively?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Blood pressure is your:

Systolic (alpha 1, beta 1 receptors) -> Due to changes in pressure
----------
Diastolic (alpha 1, beta 2 receptors) -> Due to changes in volume (the value your concerned about more that leads to mortality vs. systole.)

The increase in blood pressure as you age is due to stiffening of the aorta I believe, which causes more resistance and would increase your systolic value and pulse pressure as you said.