Cardiologist with decent work hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Cardiologists work hard. But is it possible to keep the work hours around the 45-55h (like EM) mark without having the salary go below 300k $/year? I'm asking for both simple (general) cardiology and cardiology with the various fellowships.

Could a fellowship reduce the work hours or is a cardiologist, no matter whether a fellowship is done or not, doomed to work 60+ hours per week?

EM seemed to be the perfect specialty but I'm afraid the SLOE:s can become an issue to get as an IMG.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think as physicians its important for us to keep in mind that only you can decide how many hours to work. I know one cardiologist who only works 5 hours a day 5 days a week. I doubt they make >300k, but at least they have a schedule that fits their lifestyle and preferences. None of us are "doomed" to work 60+ hours a week, and most attendings at my program def don't work that many hours, more like 8-4 Mon - Fri, with the exception of the times they are on call. But even on call they just answer the phone at home, they are not running around like a fellow/resident.

Then, and I know this may not be fashionable thinking these days, but if you go private practice you have even greater choice in the hours you work, in cardiology or any specialty of medicine.

What residents and Med students think about is 8am-5pm hours even if it is possible does not take into consideration the brutal call.

Elevated tropins from ER and Hospitalists get automatic consults. When a cardiologist is on call they get a lot of volume of consults.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What residents and Med students think about is 8am-5pm hours even if it is possible does not take into consideration the brutal call.

Elevated tropins from ER and Hospitalists get automatic consults. When a cardiologist is on call they get a lot of volume of consults.

Depends on the job. In an academic center, your call might not be more than staffing a couple of complicated patients. In private practice, some don't take hospital call. If you're in a competitive climate with multiple contracted cardiology groups at each hospital, first to answer gets the consult - so it can be rough as you try to keep up. But if your group is the only one contracted with the hospital, much of the stuff you can handle over the phone, e.g. a trop elevation without ECG changes who is hemodynamically stable with chest pain relief on a stable and low nitro drip rate - can probably wait to see until the morning. It's very, very dependent on the group you join. Call doesn't have to be brutal, and often isn't, but that's something you have to ask about when you are looking at a job.

Agreed, you may get "off" at 5pm, but that pager (if you're on call) will not stop. Every + tropinin... even in chronic elevations at baseline, many afib with RVR, and nearly every patient who was seen by cardiology recently will get an "auto" consult regardless of what they are coming in for. Not to mention the nursing pages once you get added to the treatment team. Make sure to have a PA/NP or fellow on call for primary floor concerns or you will get no rest.

Depends on the job. In an academic center, your call might not be more than staffing a couple of complicated patients. In private practice, some don't take hospital call. If you're in a competitive climate with multiple contracted cardiology groups at each hospital, first to answer gets the consult - so it can be rough as you try to keep up. But if your group is the only one contracted with the hospital, much of the stuff you can handle over the phone, e.g. a trop elevation without ECG changes who is hemodynamically stable with chest pain relief on a stable and low nitro drip rate - can probably wait to see until the morning. It's very, very dependent on the group you join. Call doesn't have to be brutal, and often isn't, but that's something you have to ask about when you are looking at a job.
Not many academic centers pay their junior cardiologists >300k. I mean, it's out there, but you're probably looking at south of that.