-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Cardiology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cardiology 2009-2010 application thread
Started by tona1981
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wow, IV from UCLA. You must be a super strong candidate. Congts!UCLA (main program) invite today, via ERAS.👍
UCLA cardiology PD works very hard, sending IV on weekend. 🙂
This forum becomes a little more active now! Over 6 thousands view. I guess more people will participate in info sharing and discussion next week when we hear or get more messages from programs.
Have a great weekend.
UCLA cardiology PD works very hard, sending IV on weekend. 🙂
The invite came in late friday afternoon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
got first rejection from Uni of Michigan Ann Arbor....
Congrats to NDESTRUKT and NYMd2008 for their UCLA interview....Can you please share your credentials also...
Can you please share your credentials also...
Undergrad: Unknown, small liberal arts college in NY
Grad School: Initially PhD, but then converted to MD after a year of being miserable, finished with a M.S., 4 orig articles in respected journals, many abstracts.
Med School: "Mid-Low Tier" Med School in NY, AOA
Residency: "Top Tier" program in west coast
Steps I 99, Step II 99, Step III 89 (forgot what to do with all the vag bleeders and crying kids, plus only had a weekend to do practice ?s).
Research during residency: working on a chart review with one of the cardiologists at my program, abstract at meeting this year with manuscript hopefully to follow.
Letters: 1 PD, 1 research mentor (not a well known name in cards yet but has a lot of influence at home institution), 2 strong letters from powerhouses in field of cards (one is godfather in heart failure, other is high up at ACC: writes all the guidelines.)
Invites Thus Far:
UCLA
Stanford
Rejects:
None Yet
Waiting:
UC Davis
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
NYU
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Montefiore
Penn
Duke
Texas Heart
UTSW
Baylor
You have very strong background both from your own and from those wrote letters for you. I bet you will get in a top notch cardio program.
Undergrad: Unknown, small liberal arts college in NY
Grad School: Initially PhD, but then converted to MD after a year of being miserable, finished with a M.S., 4 orig articles in respected journals, many abstracts.
Med School: "Mid-Low Tier" Med School in NY, AOA
Residency: "Top Tier" program in west coast
Steps I 99, Step II 99, Step III 89 (forgot what to do with all the vag bleeders and crying kids, plus only had a weekend to do practice ?s).
Research during residency: working on a chart review with one of the cardiologists at my program, abstract at meeting this year with manuscript hopefully to follow.
Letters: 1 PD, 1 research mentor (not a well known name in cards yet but has a lot of influence at home institution), 2 strong letters from powerhouses in field of cards (one is godfather in heart failure, other is high up at ACC: writes all the guidelines.)
Invites Thus Far:
UCLA
Stanford
Rejects:
None Yet
Waiting:
UC Davis
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
NYU
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Montefiore
Penn
Duke
Texas Heart
UTSW
Baylor
Med school - lower top tier Midwest program
Residency - "top tier" west coast program
Research - 3 papers - none first author, working on one first author now (far from ready!)
Letters - one big name researcher, 2 relatively well known clinical cards
Residency - "top tier" west coast program
Research - 3 papers - none first author, working on one first author now (far from ready!)
Letters - one big name researcher, 2 relatively well known clinical cards
Undergrad: Unknown, small liberal arts college in NY
Grad School: Initially PhD, but then converted to MD after a year of being miserable, finished with a M.S., 4 orig articles in respected journals, many abstracts.
Med School: "Mid-Low Tier" Med School in NY, AOA
Residency: "Top Tier" program in west coast
Steps I 99, Step II 99, Step III 89 (forgot what to do with all the vag bleeders and crying kids, plus only had a weekend to do practice ?s).
Research during residency: working on a chart review with one of the cardiologists at my program, abstract at meeting this year with manuscript hopefully to follow.
Letters: 1 PD, 1 research mentor (not a well known name in cards yet but has a lot of influence at home institution), 2 strong letters from powerhouses in field of cards (one is godfather in heart failure, other is high up at ACC: writes all the guidelines.)
Invites Thus Far:
UCLA
Stanford
Rejects:
None Yet
Waiting:
UC Davis
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
NYU
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Montefiore
Penn
Duke
Texas Heart
UTSW
Baylor
Hey! buddy I just looked into all of your posts and apparently you matched in Stanford last year and got good no. of calls from top tier programs in 2007....what's going on?
couldn't that just be from matching into internal medicine?? how embarrassing for you
hehecouldn't that just be from matching into internal medicine?? how embarrassing for you
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
🙁 same for mecongrats on the interviews! I still have not heard from any programs .... but patiently waiting! 🙂

Hey EaglesPA,
How did you hear about Emory, through ERAS? Also, which track did you apply to?
Thanks!
Notification by email. They did not send it to the ERAS mailbox. Applied Research Track.
did anyone else who got a UCLA interview hear back from them when you responded to schedule? I got the interview mid last week and still havent had a response about scheduling, worried they didnt get it, but also dont want to pester. Thanks!
University of Rochester today.
👍 Vermont
Interviews received today:
Northwestern
Feb 5th,16th
March 9th,19th,26th, April 6th, 23rd
University of Pittsburgh
Feb: 11/23
April: 6/16/20
Interviews:
Stanford
Northwestern
Pittsburgh
Pending:
17
Northwestern
Feb 5th,16th
March 9th,19th,26th, April 6th, 23rd
University of Pittsburgh
Feb: 11/23
April: 6/16/20
Interviews:
Stanford
Northwestern
Pittsburgh
Pending:
17
Last edited:
Hey all, just wondering if we can tell our backgrounds along with our interviews so we know if we have a chance.
R3, University hospital, 8 publications (a few first authors) in cards, 2 other cards abstracts, 2 non-cards abstracts. I applied to 20 places. Now I'm waiting with bated breath.
Good job on the Stanford interview. I haven't heard from them. At least I'm not rejected yet!
R3, University hospital, 8 publications (a few first authors) in cards, 2 other cards abstracts, 2 non-cards abstracts. I applied to 20 places. Now I'm waiting with bated breath.
Good job on the Stanford interview. I haven't heard from them. At least I'm not rejected yet!
Hi everyone,
good luck to those applying for card! I just finished applying to card, its sooooo late, but taking my chances. just wondering how many programs do average applicant apply lets say a US grad from ok-good university IM program?
thanks guys.
good luck to those applying for card! I just finished applying to card, its sooooo late, but taking my chances. just wondering how many programs do average applicant apply lets say a US grad from ok-good university IM program?
thanks guys.
Last edited:
I am FMG. Doing PGY-3 at one of the very good university based community programs. Good USMLE scores. 2 Publications in ACC/JACC. 3 poster/abstract in ACP. Have research background during residency and got a letter of recommendation too from well known cardiologist. Not sure how strong letter was. Applied to 25 programs all in California + few other places. No interview so far. Loosing hope now????
Did any body get IV from West coast other than Stanford .UCLA
Did any body get IV from West coast other than Stanford .UCLA
Hi everyone,
good luck to those applying for card! I just finished applying to card, its sooooo late, but taking my chances. just wondering how many programs do average applicant apply lets say a US grad from ok-good university IM program?
thanks guys.
I just finished applying to my remaing 1/4 list today, so now I am done...yeah so late....havent heard anything from anybody so far.....

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
University of Tennessee, Memphis today. Any input about the program ?
University of Tennessee, Memphis today. Any input about the program ?
Thanks for your input, Pitavastatin..but can you please share some more specific information about the program ?
anyone else conserned about entering this field with the impending cutbacks illustrated on acc.org being phased in now over the next 4 yrs. the active cardiology attendings i speak with are pretty bumbed. This field will no longer be the goldmine it was. Everyone will of course jump on me for mentioning salary as a motivation to do cardiology but is the 3 yrs of training and all that call really worth what may become salaries the likes of 250-300K for noninvasive? Its not like everyoen can go on to interventional, and try finding a job in EP. Are you all of the opinion that you just dont care about money or are you living i nthe past and still think cardiology is the motherload? Check Jackson and Cockers new 2010 survey and see what Optho is making!
I would be remiss to say I do not care about the salary of future Cardiologists. Of course I care with $300,000 private medical school debt! Ouch! I know it sounds cliche, but I really do enjoy the work in Cardiology. You have to enjoy your work. I see it as I have two options: 1) Working as a hospitalist for $200K/year and suffocating myself in the endless pop-drops, incompetent surgery consults and social work night-mares... OR.... 2) Go to work and feeling truly engaged, energized, and full of adoration. Hey, maybe it will wear off, but I think it's pretty bad-A right now. Hope this helps.
Its frustrating being an IMG. Eventhouh ur CV is much better than fellow AMG`s ur application is turned down just becos ur on j1 or H1 more so.!!!
👎
Oregon Health & Science University
KP, LA ...👎Its frustrating being an IMG. Eventhouh ur CV is much better than fellow AMG`s ur application is turned down just becos ur on j1 or H1 more so.!!!
Oregon Health & Science University
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is Oregon Health & Science University? I didn't apply there..but just wondering?👎
KP, LA ...👎
Oregon Health & Science University
Lot of scut work, unsafe city and hospital parking, terrible faculty and teaching...Thanks for your input, Pitavastatin..but can you please share some more specific information about the program ?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 10K
