Cardiology 2009-2010 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tona1981

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
Lets start our Dec 2009 cardio application thread guys:) Let me start by saying that I am an IMG with Green card, R2 in a University affiliated Community based hospital in the North-East. Very good USMLE Step 1 and 2, preparing to take Step 3 in October. Only 1 publication in a reputated journal so far, with a couple more in the pipe. No real "academic research" opportunity so far.... no Godfather! Even though there is a cardiology fellowship in my own University, I am not too hopefull due to the politics involved:( Hoping to apply in the northeast/east/california most likely. Still a little confused about the application procedure. I have 2 questions:-
1. For the Dean's letter is the previous one (2007) which I used for the Residency application still valid? I mean do I need a NEW one??? Also will it be sent to the program through ERAS?
2. For the transmission of the USMLE transcripts do I have to use ECFMG or FSMB ???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!
Lets start our Dec 2009 cardio application thread guys:) Let me start by saying that I am an IMG with Green card, R2 in a University affiliated Community based hospital in the North-East. Very good USMLE Step 1 and 2, preparing to take Step 3 in October. Only 1 publication in a reputated journal so far, with a couple more in the pipe. No real "academic research" opportunity so far.... no Godfather! Even though there is a cardiology fellowship in my own University, I am not too hopefull due to the politics involved:( Hoping to apply in the northeast/east/california most likely. Still a little confused about the application procedure. I have 2 questions:-
1. For the Dean's letter is the previous one (2007) which I used for the Residency application still valid? I mean do I need a NEW one??? Also will it be sent to the program through ERAS?
2. For the transmission of the USMLE transcripts do I have to use ECFMG or FSMB ???

1. I'm an AMG who matched at a University based cards program last year. For Dean's letter, I had my med school send a copy of the dean's letter from medical school. No changes.

2. Forgot about FSMB

As general advice, I'd recommend applying widely and to areas that few people apply to. This includes small community programs in midwest. Oftentimes, it may be more challenging to get into a program in large cities like boston, nyc, los angeles, san francisco, philidelphia, etc since everyone wants to go there.

Thank you bulldog. Even though I dont really really want to go back to the the midwest (am from Ohio) again, but I guess I cant afford not to apply there :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go apply EVERYWHERE !!. I am an FMG and I know people who have applied to over 150 programs and ended up with 2 interviews...you never know. I know it is expensive but this will ensure you have a greater chance of matching.

this should be made a sticky.

Yes, you use the same Dean's letter you used to apply for residency. Some programs do not require a Dean's letter, so if they don't ask for it then don't send it to them.

You can sometimes get the dean's letter from your program director and just scan it in as a PDF file, then scan a picture of yourself as well. Not due until December though!

I would work on getting all your letters lined up and in ASAP as there's only about 6 weeks left before programs start downloading applications. Those are more limiting than anything else.

About me: I'm a PGY-2 at a PDG (pretty darn good) program on the West Coast. I'm getting scared about not matching. I have great USMLE scores (except step III which I didn't study for), have 3 papers in good journals (none first author), and am currently working on a first author paper with a well known cardiologist. My program has had a 100% match rate for quite a while and I'm scared to be the first one not to match! Eek!

Okay Guys, here is what I did.
All LORS uploaded in EFDO, I uploaded online myself the Med Schol Transcripts/Pic/Dean's letter(the same old one that I used for Residency application in 2007!). Now trying to write a PS:idea: and working on some projects:scared:

When asking for a LOR, what else have you all given in addition to the face sheet from ERAS. CV? Personal statement? Golden stethoscope?

Okay Guys, here is what I did.
All LORS uploaded in EFDO, I uploaded online myself the Med Schol Transcripts/Pic/Dean's letter(the same old one that I used for Residency application in 2007!). Now trying to write a PS:idea: and working on some projects:scared:

Do you when do the programs start downloading our application?

You can sometimes get the dean's letter from your program director and just scan it in as a PDF file, then scan a picture of yourself as well. Not due until December though!

I would work on getting all your letters lined up and in ASAP as there's only about 6 weeks left before programs start downloading applications. Those are more limiting than anything else.

About me: I'm a PGY-2 at a PDG (pretty darn good) program on the West Coast. I'm getting scared about not matching. I have great USMLE scores (except step III which I didn't study for), have 3 papers in good journals (none first author), and am currently working on a first author paper with a well known cardiologist. My program has had a 100% match rate for quite a while and I'm scared to be the first one not to match! Eek!

Are you AMG or IMG? Did you begin applying?

Yes, you use the same Dean's letter you used to apply for residency. Some programs do not require a Dean's letter, so if they don't ask for it then don't send it to them.

How many programs did you apply last year? What is the good number to apply? Me: IMG, PGY3, planning to do a research for a year, USMLE in 90`s, and Decent community program. Few abstracts and few book chapters. What is your advise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Friends....Iam a new memebr. Congratulations to all of you and Goodluck for this year application process!

ERAS process opened up on 15th Nov. When do you think the deadline is for applying? ERAS states that programs download applications from Dec 1st. So, do we have time until Dec 1st?

Thanks.

yes, you should have everything up on ERAS by December 1st.

Hey people :)

Where is everybody?? I guess everybody is busy with the applications... well I just finished applying to about 2/3 of the total list I had in mind.... some programs(MI ) havent even started to download my application....:rolleyes:

any news?

Hey people :)

Where is everybody?? I guess everybody is busy with the applications... well I just finished applying to about 2/3 of the total list I had in mind.... some programs(MI ) havent even started to download my application....:rolleyes:

any news?

All, but two, of the programs I applied to have uploaded my application.
I'm not expecting to hear about interviews until mid-January.

Hi all,
Im new to this, but Im an IMG, R-2 at a university based hospital in the south applying this year. I have pretty good scores on all three steps but definately not 99s, and as far as research i have one being published soon, and really couple of posters, an oral presentation and a case report. Unfortunately not much research available here :(. I got some great letters of rec from guys that will hopefully be able to open some doors for me, but I know my chances are slim compared to some of those highly qualified applicants out there. I applied to over a 100 programs and hopefully i will come away with a few interviews :xf:.

Either way im prepared for the worst and looking ahead to see what I can do to improve my chances the next time around should I not be so lucky this year. Not a pessimist by any means but always a good idea to have a plan B. This is definately what I want to do so as far as im concerned I will do what I have to and wait as long as i have to, to be able to do what i love. Any tips or suggestions guys/gals?

Best of luck to you all!! :xf:

Hey folks. PGY-1 here applying for cardiology fellowship. I am targetting very specific programs (<5). A long shot, I know. All of them have downloaded my file. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Hey folks. PGY-1 here applying for cardiology fellowship (ABIM research track). I am targetting very specific programs (<5). A long shot, I know. All of them have downloaded my file. Good luck to all!

Are you limited by location?
Otherwise, apply broadly then narrow as you get interviews.

All, but two, of the programs I applied to have uploaded my application.
I'm not expecting to hear about interviews until mid-January.

These progs have not yet downloaded my application :

Aurora Health Care Program, WI
Winthrop-University Hospital Program, NY
SUNY Upstate Medical University Program, NY

anyone else in the same boat?:confused:

Plenty of programs wait to D/L apps. Some of mine didn't download my stuff until late January. Remember, Dec 1 is the first day that programs CAN download your stuff, they don't have a deadline. If they don't start interviews until late Feb or March, they might not have any need to review apps for weeks.

Plenty of programs wait to D/L apps. Some of mine didn't download my stuff until late January. Remember, Dec 1 is the first day that programs CAN download your stuff, they don't have a deadline. If they don't start interviews until late Feb or March, they might not have any need to review apps for weeks.

thanks. Thats good to know:xf:

Hi Guys, m 2nd yr resident from university affiliated comunity prog, applied for cards, am FMG on J1 visa, good scores in USMLE, 2 case reports presented at state level, sumitted 3 case reports for cards journal publication, applied on Dec 16th. any updates from prog?? i havent heard anything so far??

Nothing heard so far from any program.

About me: I am a FMG. Currently PGY 3 in not very much well known University program in New York. USMLE step 1,2,3 scores around 95s. US citizen. One review article, 7 manuscript accepted for publications, one abstract presented to AHA meeting, one oral presentatinon and 8 posters at CHEST meeting, One accepted at ACC meeting 2010. Looking forward to hear from any program from anywhere

You will not hear anything from most programs until mid-January. From then until the end of February you will get most of your invites and rejections. A few places will wait until March,and a few may ignore you and you might never hear back at all (but most will eventually reject you formally).

hi, guys,
It is too quiet this year. Cardio become less competitive after new medical bill? ;)
Here are what I got so for from eras message center. John Hopkin informed that that they will send IV at Feb if I am the chosen one; Baylor St luke and U washington thank me for applying there. How about you guys? Any news?

hi, guys,
It is too quiet this year. Cardio become less competitive after new medical bill? ;)
Here are what I got so for from eras message center. John Hopkin informed that that they will send IV at Feb if I am the chosen one; Baylor St luke and U washington thank me for applying there. How about you guys? Any news?

I didnt get anything so far....and am still thinking of applying to the remaining ones in my list by mid Jan(before deadline):confused:
any of you guys still applying/will be applying until Jan??? is it worthwhile to apply late?
BTW 3 progs have still not downloaded my appliation....:eek:

Hi, Tona 1981, you are not alone. I also have around 4-5 programs have not downloaded my application.

Expecting more activity starting middle to end of January when a lot of the interview offers will start coming in.
Only major program I know of is BMC (Boston) that started sending out interview invites today.

Expecting more activity starting middle to end of January when a lot of the interview offers will start coming in.
Only major program I know of is BMC (Boston) that started sending out interview invites today.

Thanks for your info. That is the 1st cardio program I heard sending IV so far.

Hi everyone. Happy New Year. I just joined and it's great that we have a forum to share our trials along the way. It seems like things have been really quiet for Cardiology so far this year. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad or usual thing but whatever it is, it's unnerving. Hopefully this week will be better for us all. Let's keep the positive energy flowing....Good Luck!

Stanford sent out interview invites today the dates offered were feb 11 and 18.

MSU ? or University of Michigan(Ann Arbor)?

Its getting tensed already for me:scared: and its just the beginning

Its getting tensed already for me:scared: and its just the beginning

Take a deep breath in, slowly let it out and repeat after me "I will be fine". "I will be fine", "I will be fine"

Take a deep breath in, slowly let it out and repeat after me "I will be fine". "I will be fine", "I will be fine"

I did not get any IV or Re yet. Guess it is still early for cardio programs. My co-residents have got several nephro or endo IV already. It really create some tension, but let us relax for now.

I did not get any IV or Re yet. Guess it is still early for cardio programs. My co-residents have got several nephro or endo IV already. It really create some tension, but let us relax for now.

Yes, Cards are usually last to send out invites. Only major programs I know to have sent out IVs are BU and Stanford. Most of the activity will be between Jan 15 and Feb 15.