Cardiology after DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wanted to gauge the likelihood of pursuing cardiology with a subspecialty fellowship after receiving a DO degree. Will most likely attend one of the better DO schools in terms of matching? (between CCOM, KCU, DMU, etc.) Definitely looking to pursue research and academia later on and will want to specialize in cardiology.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's feasible. My co-residents who are DOs matched cardiology. Where you do your residency, LORs, and research are going to matter a lot more than being a DO.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not as uncommon as people think. The thing is, most people don't want to do what it takes to get there. First, you need to match an academic center, then you need research projects and finally strong letters of recommendation

Most people get to residency ready to put in their 3 years and get out. Many also have a passion for other fields or figure out they like something else. For example, i never expected to really enjoy critical care. Almost applied to it

It's not as uncommon as people think. The thing is, most people don't want to do what it takes to get there. First, you need to match an academic center, then you need research projects and finally strong letters of recommendation

Most people get to residency ready to put in their 3 years and get out. Many also have a passion for other fields or figure out they like something else. For example, i never expected to really enjoy critical care. Almost applied to it
Yes totally. I've seen a good amount of cardiologists with DO degrees in all sorts of sub-specialties. I figured it was a field attainable with the right attitude. Thank you!

Same data:

In the 2022 appointment year 132 DO graduates matched cardiovascular disease fellowships.

Overall match rate to cardiology was 70.3%.

I can’t seem to find the match rate for DO graduates but it has previously been ~60-65% for cardiology, just a hair below the overall match rate.

Some DO programs have their own in house cardiology fellowships, I think OK State has their own interventional super fellowship as well.

It’s possible.

I work with a DO cardiologist who matched IM out of med school and then did a fellowship