Cardiology fellowship application 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bm2001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are things going to work this year with COVID?

Members don't see this ad.

Im hearing strong rumors about large portion of virtual interviews, has anyone else heard similar? Also, for people who had away rotations canceled, how are you handling it with your application?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Would be helpful start getting some thoughts and data points here. Seems to moving toward virtual. Any word on application submissions, timing, structure of interviews? Website still listing timeline for last year

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that match date will be the same, so just a compressed cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any thoughts on how this might impact our cycles? Wondering if people will be likely to interview more people. Also heard rumors that places are going to be more likely to take their own

Reactions: 1 users
Our program will be conducting all interviews through Zoom or similar virtual format. There will be 1-2 dates later on in the season (hopefully) for people who want to come visit - meet the fellows, perhaps faculty, then head out, this part would be purely voluntary and may not even occur depending on hospital policy regarding visitors.

Programs will be more likely to take in house applicants than someone who they never met in person. It’s time to strengthen that relationships with home program PD.

^..........what if you don't want to match at your home program...aka you've been doing long distance since medical school and this was your chance to end it :(

Obviously this is n=1 so it varies from program to program. The other thing to keep in mind is that because there won’t be any travel involved, I would imagine applicants will be applying many more programs than in the past years just to see what happens.

As junior faculty, my suspicion is more programs will lean towards known commodities this cycle.

Will be an interesting cycle for sure this year. From sounds of it, seems like most programs are considering leaning on internal applicants if they can, but obviously this won't meet quotas for everyone everywhere. Agree with some of the prior posters in that I'm sure there will be pretty heavy spamming of applications given there won't be associated travel costs now with interviews. Anyone heard any wind from their program on if they'll be trying to interview more or less people? Ours sounds like its very up in the air at this point.

All that being said, best of luck everyone!

^..........what if you don't want to match at your home program...aka you've been doing long distance since medical school and this was your chance to end it :(

take a year off, not the end of the world and 1 year doesn't hurt your competitiveness too much, bang out a couple **** reviews to stay relevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I hope you all are doing well and staying safe.

I was wondering if anyone has a list of cardiology fellowship programs that are usually friendly to IMG's. Does not have to be a full list but maybe people can name few from personal or other's experience.

Thank you

Hello guys,

does it make a difference if I send my application July 1st vs August 12th ! since ERAS changed timeline for this season. Thanks

I know my home institution will lean heavily towards taking our own applicants.

Hello everyone, I am new to this great website and I have a question:

For original research, case reports, brief reports publications, and published abstracts what is the most appropriate section they should be listed under?
- Peer-reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts
- Peer-reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts(other than published)
- Peer-reviewed book chapter
- Scientific monograph
- Other articles
- Poster presentation
- Oral presentation
- Peer-reviewed online publication
- Non-Peer-reviewed online publication

Many thanks in advance

Haider

Anyone have any advice on common fellowship interview questions/how to prep for interviews??

Anyone have any advice on common fellowship interview questions/how to prep for interviews??

Is it hard to reach COCATS level 2 all things?
How's the mentorship?
How do you feel about didactics?
What do most fellows do after fellowship?
Are their alumni that I can talk to? (to talk about if they feel adequately trained)
Do you feel supported but the leadership? The program director? The chair?
I am interested in XYZ research, what sort of support can I obtain to do XYZ?
If transplant/VAD program- How many transplants do you do a year? How many VADs do you do a year? (honestly, see my other post in the low step 1 score thread, I believe a solid HF program is the key to good training)
Are fellows first to call on patients or do house staff cover the cardiology services? (this will dictate what sort of fellowship you have; will you have mainly a supervisory role through out or more of a hands on experience).

I'm sure there are more. But you've interviewed for med school and residency. You'll figure out the rest.

Ask the faculty why they chose this job and if it’s a leadership role faculty ie chief or director, ask them what’s their vision for the dept and what limitation they see

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows any information about ETSU cardiology fellowship program ? Thank you

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows any information about ETSU cardiology fellowship program ? Thank you
3 fellows a year. nice people. rotate at large hospital and VA. Very little advanced heart failure exposure. Any specific questions?

3 fellows a year. nice people. rotate at large hospital and VA. Very little advanced heart failure exposure. Any specific questions?
Thank you so much your response.
I really really want to end up there as my fiance has started residency there. So, i was wondering how competitive it is to get in. I am from a university program from new jersey.

Send out time coming up. How fast are we thinking programs will turn around interview invites this year?

Send out time coming up. How fast are we thinking programs will turn around interview invites this year?
I imagine sooner rather than later. 1-2 weeks? The whole cycle this year is so abridged. There is less than three months til ROL being due.

I imagine sooner rather than later. 1-2 weeks? The whole cycle this year is so abridged. There is less than three months til ROL being due.
That's kind of what I figured. Will be very odd cycle and makes it a little harder to get an idea of when interview offers will go out and when interview dates will occur.

And man when you list it that way, this is absolutely a crazy timeline for all this

I really don't think it will be as quick as 1-2 weeks. We will start hearing from them in 1-2 but I believe it will extend up to 1 month. It is really hard to review applications, select candidate, and send all requests in 1-2 weeks.

I have a question:

Is it mandatory to submit the MSPE for the purpose of fellowship -- ERAS website highlighted that it is not necessary required by all programs.
I'm asking cause I'm expecting my MSPE to be delayed -- so can I still submit without it?

How many programs should a below average applicant apply to? Everyone seems secretive and no close friends are applying this cycle.

Below-to-average step scores with upward trend pass all on 1st attempt, US grad PGY-3, university affiliated satellite IM residency on east coast without in house fellowships, 5-10 poster/oral presentations including ACC & AHA, a few of online published abstracts. No other awards or chief year to mention, but numerous compliments from faculty on teaching abilities. LOR will not be as strong due to COVID canceling most electives.

Other than applying broadly, anything else to improve chances? Not expecting to match this year because of subpar research and no strong connections, any backup plans that would significantly improves chances? Thanks everyone

My PD letter is still pending. Can I go head and apply with 3 other letters on 12 th and leave a slot open to add the PD letter when it arrives. Can it be added later? will that make my application incomplete? Thank you

How many programs should a below average applicant apply to? Everyone seems secretive and no close friends are applying this cycle.

Below-to-average step scores with upward trend pass all on 1st attempt, US grad PGY-3, university affiliated satellite IM residency on east coast without in house fellowships, 5-10 poster/oral presentations including ACC & AHA, a few of online published abstracts. No other awards or chief year to mention, but numerous compliments from faculty on teaching abilities. LOR will not be as strong due to COVID canceling most electives.

Other than applying broadly, anything else to improve chances? Not expecting to match this year because of subpar research and no strong connections, any backup plans that would significantly improves chances? Thanks everyone

You will be fine. It’s almost unheard of these days for AMG to not match unless you are douchebag and have disciplinary actions.

My PD letter is still pending. Can I go head and apply with 3 other letters on 12 th and leave a slot open to add the PD letter when it arrives. Can it be added later? will that make my application incomplete? Thank you

I have the same question. 2 of 4 letters are to uploaded tomorrow. So they will be still under processing by the time of the application (August 12th). Not sure what to do either!

I have the same question. 2 of 4 letters are to uploaded tomorrow. So they will be still under processing by the time of the application (August 12th). Not sure what to do either!

I would just apply. I believe if your Pd letter isn’t there it will just be incomplete until the letter arrives but the app will be in the file

I would just apply. I believe if your Pd letter isn’t there it will just be incomplete until the letter arrives but the app will be in the file

I think there's a good chance it will be processed by the 12th if uploaded today no?

For the ERAS application, there is no option to provide information about non-ACGME program training. Where to mention that in application?
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Is it necessary to apply the day the application opens to get a descent change of your application being reviewed? What happens if you apply few days late?

Is it necessary to apply the day the application opens to get a descent change of your application being reviewed? What happens if you apply few days late?

I read or hear mixed things, take it with a grain of salt. It sounds program dependent. Some won't start reviewing applications for a week or two. Some will start the first or second day. Some using rolling apps (review in the order they receive them), some don't.

In other words, it's ideal to have everything ready and released Aug 12. It's hard to say what the consequences are, if any, to submitting a few days late. An IMG who needs a visa coming from a community program with below average board scores would likely need that little extra advantage of having everything in on time, versus say an AMG with above average board scores coming from a university program who can probably afford a week of delayed documents. For that IMG, all it takes is one program that might have interviewed them but uses rolling admissions and tossed their app in the "incomplete app" pile and won't look at that pile for say few weeks.

On that note, does the photo usually upload same day? Or does it take a few days like reference letters?

Thank you for your response.
I uploaded my photo at night and the following day, It was uploaded.
If someone uploads on monday, it should be available on Wednesday morning.

I have almost no volunteering experiences as a resident. Anyone else in the same boat?

I have almost no volunteering experiences as a resident. Anyone else in the same boat?

Doesn’t matter. You’re not applying to medical schools.

Doesn’t matter. You’re not applying to medical schools.
Thanks.

Another question I have is should I list research experience on a project that I have already listed under the poster presentation section and am currently writing the manuscript? It feels like me double posting. My gut says no.

Can someone guide? Where to put in non accredited fellowship experience in eras application? Training or experience? There is no option for non accredited fellowship in training section?

Can someone guide? Where to put in non accredited fellowship experience in eras application? Training or experience? There is no option for non accredited fellowship in training section?
Says for accredited only under training, it answers the question for you

Put a non-accredited fellowship under work-experience in the experiences section.

Thanks.

Another question I have is should I list research experience on a project that I have already listed under the poster presentation section and am currently writing the manuscript? It feels like me double posting. My gut says no.

The way I played it was in the experiences section, I grouped all of my research experiences by mentor. I mentioned that I was writing a manuscript in the blurb. In the publications section, I only put published articles/abstracts, submitted articles, and orals. Most posters are published as abstracts in supplements of society journals, so in that case I listed them as published abstracts rather than posters.

Also, I ended up having a lot more abstracts than pubs, so I actually took some of the abstracts that I wasn't first author on or hadn't resulted in manuscripts off the list, because I don't want to look like I can't finish my projects. I also only want to talk about projects I care about on my interview. I would only do this if you have a lot of abstracts (I'm applying for EP so I've had much longer to accumulate them then you guys applying for gen cards).

What is the deal with the MSPE? Mine was uploaded few days ago but it is still processing. Is it mandatory to be there before programs would start reviewing my application? Any thoughts on this?

What is the deal with the MSPE? Mine was uploaded few days ago but it is still processing. Is it mandatory to be there before programs would start reviewing my application? Any thoughts on this?

It can take some time for them to process it through the EFDO, the same as for the LORs. Programs can still review you or they may choose to wait. Depends on the program