Cardiology Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biers6

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long are cardiology fellowships? I know the standard answer is three years, but I've heard that that's jsut academic places and community places are two. Can you do an interventional fellowship off a community cards fellowship? Basically, I'm wondering whether there's any way for me to do intervnetional cardiology in under 7 years. And why isn't there a quicker way to do cards than 6 years!? Like one can do combined residencies in non-IM fields and save a year, but not in IM specialties!? Ridiculous!

Also, how much exposure will I get to interventional in a cards fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to become board-certified as a cardiologist, you must do 24months of clinical cardiology and 12 months of elective. If you want to to a fellowship beyond that (like interventional/EP which are 24 months) , you can spend your 12 months of elective on that specialty so you'll only have another 12 months to get boarded in the sub-specialty.

Thus, you can then be certified in cards at the end of your 3rd year and certified in interventional in your 5th year.

Still 6-7 years. I can't think of many sub-specialties that you can do in less than 6 years.

As for exposure to interventional, it all depends on the program that you go to. If the hospital has no cath lab, i doubt you'll see many interventional procedures! Some have cath labs without people certified to do PCI. Some do EP some don't...etc...etc..

biers6 said:
How long are cardiology fellowships? I know the standard answer is three years, but I've heard that that's jsut academic places and community places are two. Can you do an interventional fellowship off a community cards fellowship? Basically, I'm wondering whether there's any way for me to do intervnetional cardiology in under 7 years. And why isn't there a quicker way to do cards than 6 years!? Like one can do combined residencies in non-IM fields and save a year, but not in IM specialties!? Ridiculous!

Also, how much exposure will I get to interventional in a cards fellowship?

Thanks for the info. When you say certified in interventional in your fiftth year then, you mean after IM correct? But you can do it in four after IM if you do 12 mo. of interventional electives in cards, if I understood you correctly?

lurkerboy said:
In order to become board-certified as a cardiologist, you must do 24months of clinical cardiology and 12 months of elective. If you want to to a fellowship beyond that (like interventional/EP which are 24 months) , you can spend your 12 months of elective on that specialty so you'll only have another 12 months to get boarded in the sub-specialty.

Thus, you can then be certified in cards at the end of your 3rd year and certified in interventional in your 5th year.

Still 6-7 years. I can't think of many sub-specialties that you can do in less than 6 years.

As for exposure to interventional, it all depends on the program that you go to. If the hospital has no cath lab, i doubt you'll see many interventional procedures! Some have cath labs without people certified to do PCI. Some do EP some don't...etc...etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
biers6 said:
Thanks for the info. When you say certified in interventional in your fiftth year then, you mean after IM correct? But you can do it in four after IM if you do 12 mo. of interventional electives in cards, if I understood you correctly?

Yes, i made a mistake, you are right.

3 yrs IM
+
2 of 3 yrs CV
+
2 yrs as EP or interventional fellow (1 yrs =3rd CV year, plus 1 EP/Invasive fellow yr)

= 7yrs total

Thanks!

lurkerboy said:
Yes, i made a mistake, you are right.

3 yrs IM
+
2 of 3 yrs CV
+
2 yrs as EP or interventional fellow (1 yrs =3rd CV year, plus 1 EP/Invasive fellow yr)

= 7yrs total