Cardiology Text Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vir0n

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 going to take cardiovascular course in the fall. I was curious what text you professionals recommend. Of course Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" has been brought to my attention. I have also been told that Thaler's "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" is just as good and makes up for some lapses in Dubin's text. Any opinions? Any other textbooks you recommend?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Leonard Lilly's Pathophysiology of Heart Disease is a great, fairly concise book that is sort of the gold standard at the second year pathophys course level.

M2 going to take cardiovascular course in the fall. I was curious what text you professionals recommend. Of course Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" has been brought to my attention. I have also been told that Thaler's "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" is just as good and makes up for some lapses in Dubin's text. Any opinions? Any other textbooks you recommend?

thanks

EKG is only a small part of the overall scope of CV physiology/pathophysiology. I would not make it a priority as an M2. It WILL be very high yield on the wards, however. The Lilly recommendation is spot on.

Members don't see this ad :)
For quick reference, I found the Washington Manual subspecialty series in cardiology extremely valuable. It includes many of the pertinent trials and references.

For formal reading, you can't go wrong with Braunwalds Heart Disease. Although it can be intimidating, I found the chapters extremely readable from beginning to end (I found Harrison's extremely dense in comparison).

agree w/above comments about the Lilly book.
it's what we used.
I think for the wards (more like 4th year and internship) another good book is Cleveland Clinic Manual of Cardiology. It's a handbook but kind of a fat one...helpful for cards fellowship also. It's WON'T help you for 2nd year though so I'd hold off for now. Sometimes there are slightly used or newish copies on Amazon for $15 (instead of the usual $50) so I bought one during 3rd year of medical school.