Cardiology unmatched II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.ashish

Reaction score
Hello folks,

One of my friends, he didn't for match for cardiology. He had like 25-26 publications, 240+ scores, good letters. Only red-flag is; he has extension of 2 months in residency due to some unavoidable circumstance (visa issues). What he should to increase his chances to match next year.
Non-ACGME fellowship vs preventive cardiology vs clinical research.
Any advice guys, would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Going into non-ACGME cardiology fellowship is a good idea. He will make connection, stay clinically active and once he match into general cardiology and finishes it he can "convert" it into ACGME accredited.

The other option is if his visa is still an issue, then some program may hesitate to accept him due to the previous history of visa problems. Working as a cardiology hospitalist is another option and he will be able to get a green card via his employer.

I don't think clinical research would help that much especially since he is already well published.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Going into non-ACGME cardiology fellowship is a good idea. He will make connection, stay clinically active and once he match into general cardiology and finishes it he can "convert" it into ACGME accredited.

The other option is if his visa is still an issue, then some program may hesitate to accept him due to the previous history of visa problems. Working as a cardiology hospitalist is another option and he will be able to get a green card via his employer.

I don't think clinical research would help that much especially since he is already well published.

Good luck
Thank you so much!

Hello folks,

One of my friends, he didn't for match for cardiology. He had like 25-26 publications, 240+ scores, good letters. Only red-flag is; he has extension of 2 months in residency due to some unavoidable circumstance (visa issues). What he should to increase his chances to match next year.
Non-ACGME fellowship vs preventive cardiology vs clinical research.
Any advice guys, would be much appreciated. Many thanks!
The biggest red flag is the visa.. unfortunately you can’t change that.:.