Cardiology w/ DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellatha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to get into cards if one is in a DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

Classmate of mine graduated middle of the pack, did IM residency in community hospital, then did Cards at another community hospital, then did EP fellowship in NYC. Graduating fellowship this summer with job offer in hand.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible but more diffcult. DO match rate about 47/76= 62% MD match 514/570= 90%. Lots of outside factors to consider when looking at the these stats, but you have to consider it will be more difficult.

1617673285729.png

Yup. Matching will be harder for everyone in the future. Match rates were down around 2% this year for MDs and DOs. Gotta put a good app together and play the match game well. 62% is almost 2 out of three. Good but not great odds.

Reactions: 1 users
It is possible but more diffcult. DO match rate about 47/76= 62% MD match 514/570= 90%. Lots of outside factors to consider when looking at the these stats, but you have to consider it will be more difficult.

View attachment 334176
It sounds like it’s much safer going MD

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of DO cardiologists. Completely doable. It is one of the most competitive IM subspecialties along with GI so it isnt easy but if you work hard and play your cards right you can definitely make it happen! Work hard in med school so you can match at a uni/academic IM residency which will make matching cards less of an uphill battle

Reactions: 4 users

View attachment 334176
I think this is from 2018 and doesn't take into account the match rate and the total number of DO's who matched in the AOA fellowship match for cards that year.

I think this is from 2018 and doesn't take into account the match rate and the total number of DO's who matched in the AOA fellowship match for cards that year.
true but that's the most recent fellowship charting outcomes that NMRP has released. This year 102 DOs matched from the data they published, they only posted full data for MD so far.
There used to be about 25 former AOA programs, if each took 2 fellows a year that would the total matched to around a 100 maybe and that's speculation. I can't find any hard data from past AOA matches but from previous forums, they claimed CV match rate in 2018 was 68% so not bad but still close to that 2/3 number mentioned before.
It is possible to match CV just it's going to be hard since the number of students is increasing and I can not see the number of spots growing due to saturation.

true but that's the most recent fellowship charting outcomes that NMRP has released. This year 102 DOs matched from the data they published, they only posted full data for MD so far.
There used to be about 25 former AOA programs, if each took 2 fellows a year that would the total matched to around a 100 maybe and that's speculation. I can't find any hard data from past AOA matches but from previous forums, they claimed CV match rate in 2018 was 68% so not bad but still close to that 2/3 number mentioned before.
It is possible to match CV just it's going to be hard since the number of students is increasing and I can not see the number of spots growing due to saturation.
But woulndnt it be higher than 68%? Since there were more DO's who matched in the AOA match and it wasn't included in that data?

But woulndnt it be higher than 68%? Since there were more DO's who matched in the AOA match and it wasn't included in that data?
I have no idea. Like I said I can not find any data and that is just what an old thread said. I have no idea how many true positions the AOA match and how many people applied.

Honestly get into an academic university IM and that percentage probably looks better. Since our advising sucks/non-existent, I have classmates with fellowship aspirations and higher scores than me going into community programs this year because of reasons like:
- the "feel"
- picking university-affiliated over university because it's the same
- new program but PD promised they'll have my desired fellowship up and running soon
Everyone has their reasons. If you're neurotic enough to peruse through sdn regularly, you'll likely have a better idea about how/where to apply come match season

I have no idea. Like I said I can not find any data and that is just what an old thread said. I have no idea how many true positions the AOA match and how many people applied.
Either way it went from like 42 DO matches in 2018 to 103 DO matches this year, so I am sure its higher than 68%..

Either way it went from like 42 DO matches in 2018 to 103 DO matches this year, so I am sure its higher than 68%..
But we aren't counting any AOA so we have no idea how many programs there were, how many spots or how many applied and didnt match. this year the total Cards were around 66% including MD, DO and IMG. I would imagine DO match rate is close to the average but alittle below, but we cant know for sure till they come out with a new charting outcomes. So no use in speculating till then.

But we aren't counting any AOA so we have no idea how many programs there were, how many spots or how many applied and didnt match. this year the total Cards were around 66% including MD, DO and IMG. I would imagine DO match rate is close to the average but alittle below, but we cant know for sure till they come out with a new charting outcomes. So no use in speculating till then.
Nah overall DO match rate into fellowships is around 78-81% each year, the IMG match rates are in the 40-50's and bring the average down, the DO match rate into cards with the former AOA programs(vast majority made acme) is roughly in the 70-75% range per year and has been in that range historically(this is according to a Cards PD whose program made it to ACGME affiliated with my school)

Nah overall DO match rate into fellowships is around 78-81% each year, the IMG match rates are in the 40-50's and bring the average down, the DO match rate into cards with the former AOA programs(vast majority made acme) is roughly in the 70-75% range per year and has been in that range historically(this is according to a Cards PD whose program made it to ACGME affiliated with my school)
if you can show me some actual numbers that would be great. I tried to show you the numbers available but I don't care about what someone said.

Plenty of DO cardiologists. Completely doable. It is one of the most competitive IM subspecialties along with GI so it isnt easy but if you work hard and play your cards right you can definitely make it happen! Work hard in med school so you can match at a uni/academic IM residency which will make matching cards less of an uphill battle

I got a chuckle out of this. Dad jokes for days.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users