Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellow Available for Questions

Started by celling
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you go into a little more detail on the necessary lifestyle change you had to make? For example, how many hours per week do you have to work during residency and as a fellow? How many hours of sleep do you get? What time do you wake up and go to bed?
 
Can you go into a little more detail on the necessary lifestyle change you had to make? For example, how many hours per week do you have to work during residency and as a fellow? How many hours of sleep do you get? What time do you wake up and go to bed?

I'll be blunt. Undergrad and med school are very easy compared to surgery residnecy and fellowship. They will be the hardest things you ever do.

During general surgery, I averaged about 90 hours per week. However, some weeks I only worked 50-60 hours and I worked as much as 150 hours in one week. It all depends on the rotation that you are on and your seniority.

As a junior general surgery resident, I woke up at 4 am and was at the hospital by 5 am. I got home on average around 7-8 pm and was asleep by 9-10 pm. I was averaging 6 hours of sleep on non-call days.

As a senior general surgery resident, I woke up at 6 am and was at the hospital by 6:30-6:45 am. I went home around 6-7 pm and usually got to bed about 9-10 pm. I was averaging about 7-8 hours of sleep. However, I was on at home call every day, so I was getting an average of 4-5 pages per night. So, my sleep was very broken sleep.

As a fellow, I average about 90-100 hours per week. I wake up at 5:30 and get in the hospital around 6-6:30 am. I'm usually home by 7-8pm. I go to sleep around 10pm. On most rotations, I'm on at home call q1 or q2. So, most nights I have broken sleep from a lot of pages. I have one rotation which does in house call q5.
 
I'll be blunt. Undergrad and med school are very easy compared to surgery residnecy and fellowship. They will be the hardest things you ever do.

During general surgery, I averaged about 90 hours per week. However, some weeks I only worked 50-60 hours and I worked as much as 150 hours in one week. It all depends on the rotation that you are on and your seniority.

As a junior general surgery resident, I woke up at 4 am and was at the hospital by 5 am. I got home on average around 7-8 pm and was asleep by 9-10 pm. I was averaging 6 hours of sleep on non-call days.

As a senior general surgery resident, I woke up at 6 am and was at the hospital by 6:30-6:45 am. I went home around 6-7 pm and usually got to bed about 9-10 pm. I was averaging about 7-8 hours of sleep. However, I was on at home call every day, so I was getting an average of 4-5 pages per night. So, my sleep was very broken sleep.

As a fellow, I average about 90-100 hours per week. I wake up at 5:30 and get in the hospital around 6-6:30 am. I'm usually home by 7-8pm. I go to sleep around 10pm. On most rotations, I'm on at home call q1 or q2. So, most nights I have broken sleep from a lot of pages. I have one rotation which does in house call q5.

WOW! What about when you are an attending?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be blunt. Undergrad and med school are very easy compared to surgery residnecy and fellowship. They will be the hardest things you ever do.

During general surgery, I averaged about 90 hours per week. However, some weeks I only worked 50-60 hours and I worked as much as 150 hours in one week. It all depends on the rotation that you are on and your seniority.

As a junior general surgery resident, I woke up at 4 am and was at the hospital by 5 am. I got home on average around 7-8 pm and was asleep by 9-10 pm. I was averaging 6 hours of sleep on non-call days.

As a senior general surgery resident, I woke up at 6 am and was at the hospital by 6:30-6:45 am. I went home around 6-7 pm and usually got to bed about 9-10 pm. I was averaging about 7-8 hours of sleep. However, I was on at home call every day, so I was getting an average of 4-5 pages per night. So, my sleep was very broken sleep.

As a fellow, I average about 90-100 hours per week. I wake up at 5:30 and get in the hospital around 6-6:30 am. I'm usually home by 7-8pm. I go to sleep around 10pm. On most rotations, I'm on at home call q1 or q2. So, most nights I have broken sleep from a lot of pages. I have one rotation which does in house call q5.

/drops premed
 
This is why I won't be doing surgery... glad there are people intelligent and dedicated enough for it, though.

I'll be blunt. Undergrad and med school are very easy compared to surgery residnecy and fellowship. They will be the hardest things you ever do.

During general surgery, I averaged about 90 hours per week. However, some weeks I only worked 50-60 hours and I worked as much as 150 hours in one week. It all depends on the rotation that you are on and your seniority.

As a junior general surgery resident, I woke up at 4 am and was at the hospital by 5 am. I got home on average around 7-8 pm and was asleep by 9-10 pm. I was averaging 6 hours of sleep on non-call days.

As a senior general surgery resident, I woke up at 6 am and was at the hospital by 6:30-6:45 am. I went home around 6-7 pm and usually got to bed about 9-10 pm. I was averaging about 7-8 hours of sleep. However, I was on at home call every day, so I was getting an average of 4-5 pages per night. So, my sleep was very broken sleep.

As a fellow, I average about 90-100 hours per week. I wake up at 5:30 and get in the hospital around 6-6:30 am. I'm usually home by 7-8pm. I go to sleep around 10pm. On most rotations, I'm on at home call q1 or q2. So, most nights I have broken sleep from a lot of pages. I have one rotation which does in house call q5.
 
WOW! What about when you are an attending?

Depends on your specialty and your practice. Typically, private practice guys work more hours but make more money. Academics don't work as many hours but don't get paid as well.

CTS and neurosurgeons are known to work the most hours. You'll probably work less hours than during training, but 70-80 hour weeks occasionally is not unheard of.
 
There's been a lot of questions on the Med School and Surgery Residency boards about Cardiothoracic Surgery.

Thought I'd see if the next generation of doctors had any questions about this amazing specialty.

Obviously, I'm still in fellowship, so I won't be able to answer specific questions about being an attending, but anything else is open for questions.
Hi, I just wondered if during redo aortic valve replacement, what is the likely outcome of the bypass femoral cannula being attached to the external distal iliac vessel? This happened in my op, my abdomen was soon noted to be very distended, no oxygenated blood for 13 minutes which caused a cerebral infarct, laparotomy was done and repair to iliac artery.