career advice/ medicine and national security??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pton2017er

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a pre-medical student who has studied intelligence and national security academically (my major is public policy, but I have focused on intelligence and national security within my major), and who has completed internships in this area, I am wondering whether anyone has any ideas on how to integrate this with medicine? I am thoroughly interested in both areas, but I'm not sure what I could be doing down the line that would require expertise in both areas. Something in national security that would require me to have medical expertise...
Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Well. I'm not sure what your views are on antibiotic resistance, but that is a rising medical/healthcare concern that will impact every person around the world. Which is automatically a national security threat. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Also, the current outbreak of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the middle east is a significant national security issue simply based our addiction to middle east interventions.

These are the first specifics that come to mind. But as someone who is highly interested in public policy, I feel where you are coming from.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be a bit of a stretch but something related to international relief, disaster preparedness, public health initiatives on the global level that must take into account armed conflict and political strife. Diplomacy and intelligence have been required in carrying out some vaccine campaigns, for example.

Reactions: 1 user
Bioterrorism and Infectious Disease maybe?