Career Advice - Neuroimaging Research Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mconnect26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in cognitive science and previous experience as a research assistant in a neuroimaging lab and really enjoyed that area of research (functional connectivity, default network, DTI, fMRI analysis in SPM, etc.). I want to advance my career but don't think a PhD is the best fit for me. Is there a way I can continue this work at a higher-level? I worry that there's either work for entry-level RAs only a few years out of college, graduate students working on their PhD degree, or bio-statisticians, but not someone with more years of experience in the field. If I get a masters degree, I'm not sure that will open up more opportunities either. If I become a clinical coordinator or nurse researcher, I fear that I won't be able to be involved in that kind of analysis, but will be more on the management/regulatory side of clinical trials. Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A research-based psychology master’s degree could potentially advance your research career. Given your disinterest in doctoral programs, I’m not sure what other options you’d have to move up in the research world.