This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RozeK

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have question about something that isn't talked much about in these forums, and that is the research opportunities in the Physical Therapy profession. To quickly preface: I am currently an undergrad studying Biomedical Engineering on the Pre-PT route. I've been exposed to the field since high school and have had the honor to work in multiple PT settings for both observation hours and as a part time PT Aide.

I am also, however, extremely interested in working on the bionic side of rehabilitation (basically robotic limbs for amputees instead of your regular prosthetic). I would really love to work in this field while also being a PT (though, probably part time PT) and just wanted your input on the research opportunities for someone like me who has a technical background. Did you guys have very many opportunities to work in the research field with your DPT, or did your schools offer programs where you could work with engineers and researchers to understand/develop this kind of technology?

Members don't see this ad.

University of Pittsburgh has a DPT/PhD dual degree program in bioengineering that you may want to consider!

Reactions: 1 user
I have considered these programs but I'm not sure about the costs associated with it.