Career after doing preventive medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't a specific forum for this residency, so I thought I'd just ask everyone.... what sorts of things do people who did a preventive medicine residency end up doing? I feel like I can't find my niche in traditional medicine, so I am looking for 'alternative' careers for physicians. If anyone has thoughts or experience, please do share! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in preventive medicine and I've done some research on the subject. There are three areas of focus with this training: 1. aerospace medicine (often working for the military and/or NASA), 2. occupational medicine (environmental influences within workplaces that affect health, and 3. public health (larger population issues of health). If you choose to do a residency in preventative health then you've excluded the possibility of practicing clinical medicine. The residency is one prelim clinical year, one year of study (often earning an MPH in the process), and one year of a practicum. The career opportunities are vast within these areas and you'd be best served by Googling 'preventative health residency' to learn more.

I responded in the PH forum, but I'd like to add to Roadrunner's post. You can get dual boarded (look for combined internal med / preventive med, etc). Dartmouth offers PM with just about any of their other programs, for example. So, it is possible to have clinical responsibilities in addition to working on larger public health issues. But, this would greatly depend on your work setting.

how long would a combined IM/PM residency be??

dante201 said:
I responded in the PH forum, but I'd like to add to Roadrunner's post. You can get dual boarded (look for combined internal med / preventive med, etc). Dartmouth offers PM with just about any of their other programs, for example. So, it is possible to have clinical responsibilities in addition to working on larger public health issues. But, this would greatly depend on your work setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.