Career and personal time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minigirly17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that being in the medical career can be both exciting and rewarding, but it can also be very stressful and demanding. I was wondering when you do become a doctor if you would have any leisure time to yourself and or possibly with family if you chose to. And if yes, what types of specialties allow this to happen while being a M.D.:) Some people are telling me that you can't do both, I would really appreciate a comment.

Members don't see this ad.

It's true. At the med school graduation ceremony they actually implant a small computer chip in your brain that officially makes you an automaton, and thus completely incapable of a life outside of medicine. The only graduates they exempt from this minor surgery are those who matched into dermatology, which is why it is such a competitive field.

It's true. At the med school graduation ceremony they actually implant a small computer chip in your brain that officially makes you an automaton, and thus completely incapable of a life outside of medicine. The only graduates they exempt from this minor surgery are those who matched into dermatology, which is why it is such a competitive field.

Quick note to say, I love your responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that being in the medical career can be both exciting and rewarding, but it can also be very stressful and demanding. I was wondering when you do become a doctor if you would have any leisure time to yourself and or possibly with family if you chose to. And if yes, what types of specialties allow this to happen while being a M.D.:) Some people are telling me that you can't do both, I would really appreciate a comment.

I heard you don't have time for family. I start medschool in the fall, and in keeping with that doctrine, I just divorced my wife.

Seems about in line with your other ideas. ;)

Was a good idea BTW. She was already complaining about us not spending enough time together(and I only work 40 hours plus 9 hrs of school). Imagine what she would say during residency.