Opinions Regarding IM/Psych Joint Residencies and Career Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercifulCamper

Reaction score
I'm early in my medical school training, but the two specialties that interest me are IM and Psych. Furthermore, I have a history as a caretaker of a family member with a chronic and life-altering psychiatric disease. Moreover, I have enjoyed my exposure to IM so far. I find myself being pulled in both directions at the moment. I want to get people's thoughts on IM/Psych combined residency programs, whether they are worth it, and what career paths are for those going down this route.

I'm also drawn toward a future fellowship in hem/onc for several reasons. However, one of the primary reasons is that I enjoy helping people through vulnerable times, finding out what matters at the end of life, and handling these difficult conversations. If that's the route I end up setting on, it makes zero sense to do a combined residency.

Members don't see this ad.

The worst reason to do an IM/Pysch residency is that you can't decide which you want. Ultimately you figure that out by your PGY-3, and are stuck with 2 more years of training.

The worst reason to do an IM/Pysch residency is that you can't decide which you want. Ultimately you figure that out by your PGY-3, and are stuck with 2 more years of training.
I understand this. I was asking more what career options are for those that go the IM/Psych route. I was hoping to get input from those that have gone through this training path and from those who have seen clinicians in the hospital/clinic working as well. How practical is it? Do you have to end up settling on practicing one over the other?

My school does not have this program and to be quite honest very few academic centers have it.

I'm also drawn toward a future fellowship in hem/onc for several reasons. However, one of the primary reasons is that I enjoy helping people through vulnerable times, finding out what matters at the end of life, and handling these difficult conversations. If that's the route I end up setting on, it makes zero sense to do a combined residency.
You've got plenty of time to decide. Given these interests, think about a palliative care fellowship. I'm pretty sure you can get there from either psych or IM.