Hello everyone!
My husband thinks I'm nuts, he's a PCP and thinks midlevels are eventually going to get less money because there's going to be a huge influx of them and it might cause saturation in the medical field. I agree, but I don't think it'll happen for some time.
I'm a previously trained teacher and now becoming a school psych. I'm a bit sad about how the school psych field has limited itself, and with the growing field of midlevels, heck, why don't I get involved? I'm constantly researching my own stuff medical wise (because I have to), I correctly diagnosed myself with an extremely rare condition that only 1 out of 100 people get, and another condition which only 2% of women get, lucky me. Point is, I already read a lot of medical literature, however, the psych stuff is what I find interesting. I just learned about the direct entry MSN programs which would only take me two years to become a NP. I'm interested in only one speciality which would be a psych NP, probably outpatient. My question is, how hard is NP school? What is the pay like really? I'm worried I'm thinking the grass is greener on the other side when it isn't. However, I love the idea of looking at the person in a holistic approach, therapy, building rapport, and prescribing medication. However, I don't want to change fields to only get paid 80k, would I really have the potential to earn 90-100k? If so, about how long would that take? Also, should I finish my school psych degree? Would that help me at all with becoming a psych NP? Not in the way of prerequisites, but I'd think it could help me with a kid having problems in the school system and if I was working with them as a psych NP. I just wonder what these NP programs would think of my experience as a school psych, would it kind of be a whatever or maybe helpful?
Thanks!