Career change question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pilottodr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first time visiting this site and I'm glad your professional opininions are available. I'm currently a commercial pilot who has just left the airline industry due to the instability and other factors. I am and have been extremely interested in pharmacy for some time now thanks to speaking with those in the profession and shadowing a pharmacist for a few months. Unfortunately due to a lack of maturity and other events in college, my GPA suffered to a 2.5 when I left after three years to attend flight school. I have been taking classes since I've left and haven't made below a "B". I'm looking at going back to school and retaking the necessary classes, which will be about three semesters worth, to raise my GPA and take the pre-reqs to get into a pharmacy school hopefully in GA. I understand the competition is fierce for seats in these schools. I'm wondering if my life experiences as a pilot would help to show maturity and responsibility and my willingness to return to school would help in showing my determination and dedication. I'm 24 now and understand that I'll be 30 when I would graduate pharmacy school. This would be a huge leap of faith but I'm not afraid of the work. Do any of you see hope or have been in a similar situation? Thank you for any advice...

Members don't see this ad.

pilottodr said:
I have been taking classes since I've left and haven't made below a "B". I'm looking at going back to school and retaking the necessary classes, which will be about three semesters worth, to raise my GPA and take the pre-reqs to get into a pharmacy school hopefully in GA. I understand the competition is fierce for seats in these schools. I'm wondering if my life experiences as a pilot would help to show maturity and responsibility and my willingness to return to school would help in showing my determination and dedication. I'm 24 now and understand that I'll be 30 when I would graduate pharmacy school. This would be a huge leap of faith but I'm not afraid of the work. Do any of you see hope or have been in a similar situation? Thank you for any advice...

My understanding is that UGA only looks at GPA on the actual pre-reqs they have and do not look at any other course GPA, so in your case that might be a big advantage. Understand that to get in there, you will have to have a very good PCAT score. If you look at their website, there is information on specific prereqs and average GPA/PCAT scores.

Mercer has lower average GPA/PCAT scores; one thing important with them is that they do rolling admissions and you need to apply very early in their cycle to get the best chance of getting in - this is not a secret, they are very upfront about it on website. I do not know anything about South.

I think the school won't put as much emphasis on your GPA before as long as now you continue to do well. I started pharmacy school after a career change and I explained my situation in my letter and my application. I also had a "lower" GPA and then improved my grades drastically and I'm sure they noticed the improvement. It also helped that my better grades were in much more difficult upper level and graduate science courses.

It is a huge leap of faith to change careers, but if this is something you really want to do you should go for it.

Good luck!