Career Changer Pre Med Post Bacc Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packers2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All - I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.

In a few months I will be a senior in college in an information systems major with a 3.8 GPA. I also had a SAT score in the 98th percentile. A naive college freshman, I picked my major somewhat arbitrarily. I was never truly interested in business, and having done 3 competitive internships in the US and abroad at top businesses in industry and in consulting, I think I have given it a real shot. I do not find my major fulfilling, and I cannot see myself enjoying it down the line.

To the point, I know my heart lies with medicine. Unfortunately, I did not have any natural science classes or pre-med prerequisites in my major; the only relevant classes i have taken are in statistics, programming, a philosophy ethics class, a class on the brain nutrition and behavior, and an AP credit in Psych. For the last 3 years I have done volunteer work for national cancer organization and regular activities with elementary school students.

In high school, I volunteered at a hospital and shortly shadowed three doctors, and look back on those experiences very fondly. I didn't initially pursue medicine because many practicing physicians, whom I talked to (at length) were very cynical about the future of our healthcare system, and said medicine isn't what it used to be - that it is becoming a business - and it is hard to help the patient in some circumstances when the bottom line is making the ultimate decision. This really turned me off from medicine initially and made me quite sad. Medicine requires a lot of dedication and schooling, so to me, if you are not 100% sure that is what you want to do, don't do it. Knowing what I know now, I believe I am passionate enough to pursue medicine as a career.

I have started reading Chemistry and Biology textbooks this summer to prepare for classes, and I plan to shadow a doctor for a week in august before school starts and over holiday breaks during my senior year. I also want to volunteer at a local hospital during the semester and work on a research team.

What are my chances of getting into a career changers pre medical post bacc program right after college? What else could I do to enhance my chances?

Also if anyone knows, what generally are the admission statistics into these type of post bacc programs?

Members don't see this ad.