Career Changers: What did you do before this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfoster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question for those of us changing careers -- What did you do before this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a software developer

Members don't see this ad :)
High school math/science teacher.

Concert violist, youth orchestra coach.

Bored after only 2+ years. Obviously time for a career change... :D

Respiratory Therapy and System Administrator (IT)... besides other things...

Wow, really a Nuclear Reactor Operator?? I LOVE it!!!

Me: HR manager

I'm a software developer

I was a software engineer.

(That past tense feels really nice, even when I'm stressed about the biochem I should be studying.)

art historian (see quote in sig) ;)

bicycle messenger, 15 years on the road.

Cellist.
Lab Technician (Neonatal brain injury lab)
Research Associate (Spinal trauma lab)
Security and Hospitality at a 1200 seat music venue.
Swing/Salsa dance instructor.
Public High School Math/Science Teacher
Molecular Biologist
Nurse's Aide

Wow.. such a diverse group. Why did you decide to pursue a medical career? All of you seem to be leaving/have left pretty successful careers.

Attorney / Critical Care Paramedic

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Physician Assistant

A labor and employment lawyer.

Respiratory Therapist and Registered Nurse

public relations and freelance writing (yeah, I totally did a 180). :)

ACCEPTED! Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia Class of 2013!!!!

I was a campus minister...and worked in non-profits.

Also a 180...Airline Pilot...

bicycle messenger, 15 years on the road.

Do you read Bike Snob NYC? My husband's a cyclist, and he's gotten me hooked on that blog! I've gotta have my Snob fix every day!

:hijacked: sorry guys - back to careers. :D

Oh, and speaking of which: nontradfogie, I think you're my hero - I love the variety!!

Software Engineer for 3 years
Stay at Home Mom for 4 years

I am a registered massage therapist and 4th year nursing degree student, awaiting MCAT results and an interview offer:oops:

I'm a translator.

I am the Supervisor for several urgent care clinics. Prior to that I was the executive director of an assited living community. I joined as a first step to becoming a doctor. I read many of the forum discussions and blogs and found a great deal of helpful information. I am giddy excited about this first step as I want to be a physician more than anything.

Wall Street (20 years). Research analyst, then portfolio manager, specializing in health care stocks.

I can't compete with nontradfogie, but I once waited tables at a really crappy pizza place.:)

Childcare provider/wedding,family,portrait photographer. . . and pretty much most "side jobs" that come along...

Still am a Clinical Lab Manager (MLT to MT hopefully to DO or MD)

Certified Public Accountant - with 20 years in hospitals and clincs as well as health insurers. And I still am a CPA - my state still continues to extract a license renewal fee from me every two years, even though I am officially inactive and have pleaded poverty as a medical student. I'm sure I'll keep paying it - I worked too bloody hard for that certificate to just mail it back. Although I'll never use the title professionally again, of course - "Non-TradTulsa, MS, MD, CPA" is a little scary even to me. :laugh: The "MS" I will keep, though - just to honor the fact that I had a previous life.

I was an instructor/coach for 7 years, then worked in the intellectual property field for two years(not as an attorney, more formalities, filing patents). Now I'm doing informal post-bacc and taking the prereqs. Why'd I take geology as my lab science? :(

4yrs USMC
2yrs Civil Engineering Tech
1yr Cook "hamburger joint during college"
6months Wal-mart sporting goods "during college"
1yr Machinist CNC "during college"
2yrs Math Tutor "college"
1yr Adjunct Instructor Dept. Math
5yrs HS math, science, coach "baseball, basketball, tennis, and track"
2 years concurrent with teaching mowing lawns as side job
Damn I feel old.

Last edited:
I did a lot of temp jobs as a means to an end to get back in school. I'm a navy wife, so having temporary living situations was not conducive to me going back to school (I withdrew when I met my husband and moved across the country). My wanting to go back to school was second to his career, so I worked menial jobs until I had my daughter and then stayed home for a year with her. Now with overwhelming support and motivation, I'm a full time student again.

Life insurance actuary. Man... that job was terrible.

Nuclear power is way too much of a George Jetson job. It requires long hours, and I never really found any reward in it. I'm hoping with medicine, it'll be different. :p

Although... I just got a job offer for 95k doing nuclear power and someone brought up that doctors have to pay ridiculous insurance coverages now. Is being a normal GP still worth doing these days?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)

Nuclear power is way too much of a George Jetson job. It requires long hours, and I never really found any reward in it. I'm hoping with medicine, it'll be different. :p

Although... I just got a job offer for 95k doing nuclear power and someone brought up that doctors have to pay ridiculous insurance coverages now. Is being a normal GP still worth doing these days?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)
I love this post, I have seen similar ones posted before. Other jobs included millionaires, more ex-lawyers than I thought, and even a brick layer, hahaha, pretty cool stories. I love the bicycle messenger ones, wow, how did you end up in that job and how did you get out of it and discover medicine?

M1A1 Tank Commander..

Last edited:
I'm a mechanical engineer who worked as a patent examiner :sleep:

Currently doing post-bac and will apply to med schools this June.

Attorney for 6 years, stay at home mom for 4 years and counting!

RN (ICU) and part-time court mediator, but I have done everything from working at KFC to selling high-end ladies shoes.

Currently L&D RN, about to receive acceptance to midwifery school and decided to throw caution to the wind and go for my MD instead..

I'm an environmental wastewater consultant. Too lonely and too much regulation/ not enough science!