Career freedom and personal time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minigirly17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that being in the medical career can be both exciting and rewarding, but it can also be very stressful and demanding. I was wondering when you do become a doctor if you would have any leisure time to yourself and or possibly with family if you chose to. And if yes, what types of specialties allow this to happen while being a M.D.:)

Members don't see this ad.

The Chief of Surgery I keep in contact with says,

"You can either be a surgeon, or have a family, pick one or the other."

Luckily, I don't want kids nor do I want to get married :thumbup:

Of all my cousins, aunts, uncles who are cardiologists, pediatricians, GI docs, and 1 radiologist none are really ever home except for the radiologist. But that might be because they all choose to work longer hours and moonlight for extra cash.

I know that being in the medical career can be both exciting and rewarding, but it can also be very stressful and demanding. I was wondering when you do become a doctor if you would have any leisure time to yourself and or possibly with family if you chose to. And if yes, what types of specialties allow this to happen while being a M.D.:)

You may get more responses if you post in one of the allo/osteo forums rather than one geared toward an exam.

From what I have seen and have heard from docs depends on the field they work in. The chief of trauma/surgery at our hospital told me "I have been married twice and f@$#ed up two kids and I don't regret a second of it." However, there are a lot of fields where you have the ability to have a family and life outside of the hospital. FP is one such field. ER also has the ability to work a specific schedule with normal hours, etc.. Just be aware of what you want out of life and find a field to accomodate that. Do your research