Career Options with just PharmD (no residency)?

Started by DoctorAJ
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorAJ

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

I'm a P3 and am just now starting to wonder, besides staff pharmacist at a hospital and staff pharmacist at retail drug stores, what else can I do with JUST a Doctor of Pharmacy? So far in school they've only scratched the surface about this topic, I think mainly because my school pushes for EVERYBODY to get a residency...I however do not want to do a residency, therefore I want to begin this research NOW as oppose to May 2010 when I graduate about what my career options are with just a Pharm D....I want to know any and every option I have so that I can weigh the pros and cons of each....

So if can somebody can be so kind and please point me towards a good resource (website, book, etc...) that helps narrow down ALL career options I have with a Doctor of Pharmacy I would appreciate it.... I'm sure I won't be the only one who could benefit from such a resource...thanks for all your guys help🙂
 
I'm sure you can find some more "clinical" jobs that are still out there. You just have to be lucky I guess. Anyone have any opinions? I'd like info on this as well...
 
You can get training and do nuclear.

Ambulatory Care (Coumadin clinic, etc).

Academia (sometimes).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you can go into informatics


also, you can be "just" a staff pharmacist.....especially since, in my opinion, it doesn't matter how many "clinical" people there are to monitor vanco levels etc, you can't really do that unless someone is there to ensure that these drugs are safely dispensed to the floors. i take great pride in the years i spent as "just" staff, and continue to do so as often as i can....i believe that doing the work in the trenches, and doing it well, is very important

of course, if you can't stand the heat, get a cushy "clinical" job and not "just staff" ...and stay out of retail!
 
Nothing...You will be unemployed and living in a box on the street.....Its hard out there with out a residency...How were we ever able to practice pharmacy before there were PharmD's and residencies?....
 
You can go "clinical" at a rural community hospital. Pharmacists are hot-ticket items in many enlightened rural areas.