Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2009
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
I used to be "premed" (bio major) but now I am kinda lost. I am planning to take my GRE to enter grad school (master's or Ph.D., still am not sure what to pick since some schools have the same subject but there are both degrees) but I don't want to tear myself from the sciences/medical/health. Can you guys help me out in what kind of careers that can be taken from a grad degree that has branched off from biology (physiology, anatomy, biomedical sciences, cellular biology, molecular genetics, neuroscience, public health, health administration, and the list goes on...). I don't want to get a degree and find out that I am stuck without a job/career. I was wondering if any of you can give insight as to what degree you might have had and what job goes along with it. Or if you have any info that you could pass along to me. I have a large scope of interest so any suggestions?

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Firstly, I think you are looking for the non-traditional forum, not the post-bac forum.

Secondly, even then its off topic

Thirdly, this is a website dedicated to medical-related career paths. Not really general science-related jobs.

Fourth, why not do your own research? Figure out what you like, and what jobs might involve it.

OP
mediterranean
May 13, 2009
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
Firstly, I think you are looking for the non-traditional forum, not the post-bac forum.

Secondly, even then its off topic

Thirdly, this is a website dedicated to medical-related career paths. Not really general science-related jobs.

Fourth, why not do your own research? Figure out what you like, and what jobs might involve it.
1) Okay.

2) Yes because I am still in school and am young so of course its "Off-topic"

3) I am still interested in medical stuff like anatomy, physiology and biomedical.

4) If you have nothing good to help me with, then don't comment. I seen alot around these forums and no wonder everybody hates you. You just boil everyone's blood around here. Surprised that mods here haven't kicked you off already. But then again you are mod-potential. And yes, I have done weeks even MONTHS of research and I refuse to waste my time any further. So thanks but no thanks, useless poster.

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol you crack me up.

good luck

OP
mediterranean
May 13, 2009
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
To add a little bit of info of what I found. Even with a master's of biology, someone (absolutely not me since I still have to finish my bachelor's first) could not a find a job after months of job searching. So I definitely want to specialize but do not want to be stuck without a job after I graduate. I would rather have someone who was a "career-changer," as they call it, comment on what are the strongest fields out there. Catch my drift? No more pointless posting please.

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was a career-changer of sorts who got a job with a bachelors degree without a problem.

Its not always about the level of degree - it can be about the scale of jobs applied for, GPA, how good the person interviews etc etc etc. I wouldn't take one person's scenario as being indicative of everything out there. The other thing is one needs to keep in mind where the jobs are;
As an outlandish example - there is no good looking for a job as a cowboy in NYC....like there isnt much point looking to work in a hospital if the area you are in doesnt have a hospital. I hear this kinda thing a lot about someone not willing to me or relocate or commute more than 15mins and whining about lack of work.

And i'll post as a please until told by someone in authority here otherwise

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Sunny South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
I used to be "premed" (bio major) but now I am kinda lost. I am planning to take my GRE to enter grad school (master's or Ph.D., still am not sure what to pick since some schools have the same subject but there are both degrees) but I don't want to tear myself from the sciences/medical/health. Can you guys help me out in what kind of careers that can be taken from a grad degree that has branched off from biology (physiology, anatomy, biomedical sciences, cellular biology, molecular genetics, neuroscience, public health, health administration, and the list goes on...). I don't want to get a degree and find out that I am stuck without a job/career. I was wondering if any of you can give insight as to what degree you might have had and what job goes along with it. Or if you have any info that you could pass along to me. I have a large scope of interest so any suggestions?
Let me ask you this are you a "people person" or a "lab rat"? If you're from the former medicine and public health will be more your speed. For the latter a Ph.D. in a medical related subject would be better. The careers with a masters are more limited. I'd say go PhD or go home really, as masters are an awkward in between fit. You'd be overqualified for bachelors-requiring jobs and not good enough to be a professor etc. With a wide interest an MPH is your best bet as it is a better choice than most other masters choices as it gives some flexibility. PhDs are focused by design.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You're asking people to decide what field you should go into? Why?

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Or if you have any info that you could pass along to me.
If you want to be employable for good pay, and you don't have a network, then you need a record of employment and references. Experience waiting tables, for example, tends to make future interviewers perceive that you have a work ethic, because if you don't hustle you don't make tips. I got my first high-paying job out of college because I'd worked in crap jobs until I was given responsibility. Everybody had a degree; I had a resume.

If you want to work in health sciences research, you should be looking for a lab, and you should expect to wash glassware for about $8/hr until you earn the right to do interesting things, and you should work hard, and you should be respectful to your PI so that he/she will mentor you and help you clarify your goals and help you get connected.
Still in college, hasn't had a career, not a nontrad.

2) Yes because I am still in school and am young so of course its "Off-topic"
How does this motivate me to help you? Are you this rude when you don't have anonymity to hide behind?

4) If you have nothing good to help me with, then don't comment. I seen alot around these forums and no wonder everybody hates you. You just boil everyone's blood around here. Surprised that mods here haven't kicked you off already. But then again you are mod-potential. And yes, I have done weeks even MONTHS of research and I refuse to waste my time any further. So thanks but no thanks, useless poster.
This is what is called "thin skin" and "immaturity". It tends to make people not want to work with you. It tends to make you difficult to manage, and it lowers the quality of your job references. Why would you get upset at someone who took the time to offer help? Help was offered. If you don't want the offered help, it's polite to say "thank you" and decline the help.

And i'll post as a please until told by someone in authority here otherwise
A mod, if we had one, would shoo the OP.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
Had a few complaints here. Not one to really close threads or infract but given that the thread is already going downhill before it starts, OP I suggest you browse the other health-science related forums (MPH for example) and pose your questions in one of those locations (Off-Topic forum, or a variety of other forums that may address your needs) or message me to answer your questions. Postbac forums are generally for those who intend to go into medical school and require an academic record enhancer or to fulfill AMCAS requirements after graduating- I don't think this fits your bill. I'm going to close this now, please PM with questions or for personal advice/questions. As with any threads anyone headbutts in, when you post, you're going to get attacked, don't respond if it doesn't relate to your question, additionally, if you don't have anything helpful to say, don't post it. Street works both ways.

Last edited:
OP
mediterranean
May 13, 2009
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh DrMidlife. I nearly complimented you. So close and yet so far. I am the nicest person ever until any poster writes the most rediculous things. drizzt, I am not telling people to pick my career, I just wanted to know what is out there so I don't have to pack my bags every few months since all I have seen were temp jobs in the sciences, even the higher ones with master's and doctorate reqs. And robflanker, I am not whining about 15 minute commutes, I am talking about other state commutes as in hours of driving. Don't want to have a pennies job and have to spend it all on gas just to work. Think twice about making stupid comments. Many people drive to borderline states to make more money and come back but I don't want it to be so far as to spend half my day traveling there. Thanks for all those who offered unbiased help. Sometimes I just wish SDN would crash for a whole year to scare away those that like to jump down other people's throats and continually bash people that are just looking for help.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
A mod, if we had one
Sorry, it's been busy on clerkships. I generally don't mod much here because there are few reported posts, and upkeep is generally not as high demanding. I do get a lot of PMs that I respond to so I maintain my moderation/advisory this way. Thanks for the help on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.