Confused International Student: Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntStuAus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have spent the whole day reading old treads and still currently confused due to my unique situation. So, I would like to open a thread to begin a discussion about my current situation.

I am a recent graduate from Australia, complete Bachelors of Biomedical Sciences. I just recently got accepted for my green card to the US. So, I am moving over to be closer to family. I have submitted my transcripts for evaluation (WES) and still awaiting for a result. It is however expected that my GPA, when transferred to US grading scale, would be 3.0. Apparently, there is no in-between, so I either get 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.0.

I have completed various lower and upper level sciences courses which includes Biology, Chemistry, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Pathophysiology & Pharmacology and Psychology. However, given the fact that I have an international baccalaureate credits, I may only satisfy few of the prerequisites. Hence, I need to repeat all/some of the core subjects required for medical school admissions.

I have been extremely involved in various clubs and organisations back in my university. Been the President of my faculty association. Done a lot of volunteering (non-health or non-medical related). Also volunteered in a health clinic overseas for 3 weeks for 5hrs/day in a 3rd world country. Whist studying, I have been working part-time as well. All my science subject include Lab work which is 3-4 hours per fortnight and some 3-4 hours a week. I however haven't shadowed a doctor or volunteer in a medical setting due to strict regulations in Australia.

I have decided to pursue medicine late in my degree so I have bit played myself during my first semesters and have to deal with family problem during my middle semesters however I have redeemed myself and have shown improvement in my last 2 semesters of University (A Bachelors is 3 years w/ 6 semesters in Australia)

Should enrol myself to an enhancement program (as my GPA is not that great) or to a career changer program (as I haven't met half of the required prerequisite for medical schools)?

Money isn't really a problem as long as it helps me get into medical school. I will be moving to California however willing to move states for better prospect / post baccalaureate program.

I need some help and guidance please. Which school should I consider applying and which program? Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The programs discussed in this subforum aren't what you should be looking for.

Pick a few med schools and devour their admissions web pages. You'll see that most med schools require foreign-educated students to do about 2 years of full time undergrad. You'll see that most med schools require you to do the basic med school prereqs in the US.

One way to get there is to do a 2nd bachelors. Some universities won't allow you to go this direction, and some will put up obstacles. If you're willing to quit because it gets hard, just quit now. Because it'll be hard.

Also you can do everything right and still not get into med school. No guarantees.

You should not consider community college, despite this being less expensive and frequently just as rigorous as university study. >60% of US med school applicants get rejected every year. You have to compete for a seat. Don't take short cuts.

Generally your foreign coursework isn't taken seriously, not for undergrad, not for med school. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get freshman status at a CSU or UC.

All of this takes money. With a greencard you can get US federal loans, but they don't typically cover the cost of attendance. If your family has $, great, otherwise assume you won't get 2 years of school done in 2 years because you have to work. If your family has $ then just go with a good private college to save time & aggravation.

Generally your exposure to healthcare systems outside the US is interesting but not at all sufficient. You're expected to clock hundreds of hours in US clinical settings. If you get into med school you'll be at the beginning of a 7+ year training program in US hospitals, and you're expected to know what that means, good and bad, as a med school applicant.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users