Careers after EM/FP residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Y18EED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am looking into doing EM/FP residency vs doing just EM. Does anyone know what most EM/FP docs do after residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, either work one or both. The compensation for EM is higher than FP, on average, so if that were me ...

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you do EM but open up some sort of FP thing that is staffed with PAs to do the bulk of the work and you just sign off on it. Is this feasible?

Maybe an urgent care type center where you could also see reoccuring patients?? I remember I needed stitches once, small cut - no emergency- so instead of waiting for 3 hours at an ER I went to an urgent care center and got all fixed up. Seems like the type of place where you could use both.

Maybe an urgent care type center where you could also see reoccuring patients?? I remember I needed stitches once, small cut - no emergency- so instead of waiting for 3 hours at an ER I went to an urgent care center and got all fixed up. Seems like the type of place where you could use both.

Urgent care = fast track = either EM or FP. So again, waste of time being double boarded. It's like meds/peds. What's it going to be? You do those things more for self knowledge than increasing job/career prospects.

Y18EED, I have a professor who works part time at the ED as part of some group, but also has a family practice that incorporates OMM. If you'd like, PM, and I'll get you in touch with her. She's one of the nicest professor at our school.

Last edited:
I want to become a family doc, but also moonlight in a rural ER. I'm also interested in being a medical command physician. What sort of residency should I do?

I want to become a family doc, but also moonlight in a rural ER. I'm also interested in being a medical command physician. What sort of residency should I do?

If you want your primary job to be FP, then just do FP. If you are going to pick up extra hours in a small town ER, you can probably still do that with just FP. Many small towns use their IM or FP or whoever will work there for the ER. One small place in iowa that I know of had a neurologist that also did their little ER.

Agreed, in a rural area they are usually desperate for people to man the Emergency Department regardless of FM or EM boards. If you wanted to live in a more popular area and wanted to moonlight in the ED it'd probably get a bit trickier.