Careers after EM/FP residency

About the Ads

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
  1. Medical Student
    Maybe an urgent care type center where you could also see reoccuring patients?? I remember I needed stitches once, small cut - no emergency- so instead of waiting for 3 hours at an ER I went to an urgent care center and got all fixed up. Seems like the type of place where you could use both.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 2, 2002
    New England
    1. Attending Physician
      Maybe an urgent care type center where you could also see reoccuring patients?? I remember I needed stitches once, small cut - no emergency- so instead of waiting for 3 hours at an ER I went to an urgent care center and got all fixed up. Seems like the type of place where you could use both.

Urgent care = fast track = either EM or FP. So again, waste of time being double boarded. It's like meds/peds. What's it going to be? You do those things more for self knowledge than increasing job/career prospects.

bliksem

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      May 12, 2006
      California
      1. Medical Student
        Y18EED, I have a professor who works part time at the ED as part of some group, but also has a family practice that incorporates OMM. If you'd like, PM, and I'll get you in touch with her. She's one of the nicest professor at our school.

Last edited:

han14tra

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        May 22, 2007
        1. Medical Student
          I want to become a family doc, but also moonlight in a rural ER. I'm also interested in being a medical command physician. What sort of residency should I do?

bigDinLV

10+ Year Member
          Dec 13, 2008
          Vegas baby!
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            I want to become a family doc, but also moonlight in a rural ER. I'm also interested in being a medical command physician. What sort of residency should I do?

If you want your primary job to be FP, then just do FP. If you are going to pick up extra hours in a small town ER, you can probably still do that with just FP. Many small towns use their IM or FP or whoever will work there for the ER. One small place in iowa that I know of had a neurologist that also did their little ER.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.