Feasibility of EM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninjawiz500

Reaction score
Hey,

I am an Aussie BSc-MD student and I am interested in going into EM. I applied to a handful of DO schools in the US after my BSc (as a non-citizen my options were very limited) and I've gotten an offer and some interviews. I decided to apply mainly because 1) I really find the DO training interesting (even if I don't end up exactly using OMM, I feel the training would make me more comfortable with palpating for landmarks, dislocation reductions, etc. which are relevant to EM) and 2) I would prefer to enter a US EM residency program as the training is much shorter compared to Australia and residents get comparatively much more responsibility early on. I am perfectly happy with a more regional academic program or a community program, and I was wondering if this is feasible with a DO degree or whether I would be discriminated against when applying? Additionally, would there typically be discrimination against DOs when seeking out attending positions? (Sorry I am not too familiar with the job implications of DO vs MD as we only have MD in my country)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll match EM as a DO. Some programs will not take you as a DO but in EM even top programs often will still consider DOs. It’s all about your EM experience and audition rotation performance that determines if you’ll match. I was a below average DO student and applied before the job market issues (so the most competitive year for EM) and got like 30 interview invites (2 top ten programs) and matched my number one.

You’ll match EM as a DO. Some programs will not take you as a DO but in EM even top programs often will still consider DOs. It’s all about your EM experience and audition rotation performance that determines if you’ll match. I was a below average DO student and applied before the job market issues (so the most competitive year for EM) and got like 30 interview invites (2 top ten programs) and matched my number one.
That sounds great, thanks!