Careers related to vision but not OD

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deegee10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my head set on becoming an optometrist for the past two years. Now that applications are almost due, I feel like I'm second guessing optometry as my career path. I don't doubt my capabilities, rather I'm worried that I won't find a job (the field is saturated in California) and that I won't be paid well (most optometrists aren't happy with their salary). I'm wondering if you guys know of other fields that deal with vision (e.g. vision and the brain, therapy, technology) other than optometry or optician. I'm just hoping to get ideas and explore other avenues. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've had my head set on becoming an optometrist for the past two years. Now that applications are almost due, I feel like I'm second guessing optometry as my career path. I don't doubt my capabilities, rather I'm worried that I won't find a job (the field is saturated in California) and that I won't be paid well (most optometrists aren't happy with their salary). I'm wondering if you guys know of other fields that deal with vision (e.g. vision and the brain, therapy, technology) other than optometry or optician. I'm just hoping to get ideas and explore other avenues. thanks!

Ophthalmology - (MD or DO) (pays more than OD, but more debt from school and have to work harder/longer through med school and residency, can do eye surgery)

Vision Science - (PhD.) (pays less or about the same, less or about the same debt than opto school, heavy on research and teaching, little or no clinical work)

Ophthalmic Technician - (High School Diploma or up) - $15-$25 an hour, work with ophthalmologists

Ophthalmic Photographer - Its a small career, not that many people do it

And don't just worry about the doom & gloom you see on internet forums. Ask many ODs and they say dentistry is superior yet if you go to their forums you see they bitch about the same exact s**t. Commercial take over, high student debt etc. etc.

you could be an associate professor maybe! teaching future optometry srudents

Members don't see this ad :)
Vision Science - (PhD.) (pays less or about the same, less or about the same debt than opto school, heavy on research and teaching, little or no clinical work)

And don't just worry about the doom & gloom you see on internet forums. Ask many ODs and they say dentistry is superior yet if you go to their forums you see they bitch about the same exact s**t. Commercial take over, high student debt etc. etc.

First bolded statement I would disagree with. Most doctoral programs have tuition remission and stipend. I had a grand total of $2500 in debt after my PhD, and that was because our AC went out one summer.

Second bolded statement I found interestingly true. Everyone on here seems to think dentistry is the way to go, but on the dental forums, they are freaking out.

Ocularists are more like artists. The good ones do amazing work. Hard to tell the prosthesis from an actual eye.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using SDN Mobile

I know. I've had one.

Can you elaborate in that? You have had one or you still have it? What was the whole process like?

Had. Past tense. Because of right facial paralysis, I was unable to keep it in my eye socket.

The whole thing was quite boring. I had to sit still for like half an hour so that the ocularist (ophthalmology trained) could paint the prosthetic to match my eye.

I ended up learning to becomfortable without a prosthetic or an eye patch.

Had. Past tense. Because of right facial paralysis, I was unable to keep it in my eye socket.

The whole thing was quite boring. I had to sit still for like half an hour so that the ocularist (ophthalmology trained) could paint the prosthetic to match my eye.

I ended up learning to be comfortable without a prosthetic or an eye patch.

Sorry to hear that. Did you consider being an ocularist yourself?

Sorry to hear that. Did you consider being an ocularist yourself?

No. Definitely not for me. My passions are children, people with disabilities, the Deaf community and the Hispanic community.

I'm pre med. An aspiring pediatrician or ENT.