Carib Vet Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard of anybody transferring from Ross to a US school? is sgu > ross (in the aspect of students transferring into US schools) what are you guys' thoughts on that?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you mind to ask any of them to contact me? My friend knows one of the students who transfered into the 1st year class- I am dying for him to call me :)

Do you mean "him" as in the one male who transferred into my class, or is the "him" your friend? Happy to pass along the info--feel free to send me a PM. :)

Does anyone have any more information about SGU's accreditation? I know they started the process by having a first site visit, but that's about all I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
Can you plesae clarify - 14 student were accepted into the 2nd year! I thought that the US schools did not accept the course work from the Carib Schools? It would make SGU a lot more attractive if one could study there for a year and then transfer into a AVMA accredited school and not lose that year.

Hello,
Can you plesae clarify - 14 student were accepted into the 2nd year! I thought that the US schools did not accept the course work from the Carib Schools? It would make SGU a lot more attractive if one could study there for a year and then transfer into a AVMA accredited school and not lose that year.
Jennifer, I have no idea how it is for medical schools.

I do know that transfering into an AVMA-approved college of veterinary medicine is possible, though not with every college. We happened to have seats available to fill because we lost some students--otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to accept any transfers.

The people in my class completed 3 semesters at SGU and are now starting in our class--second semester first year--so it's not a completely perfect transfer for them.

If I tried to get into SGU, I couldn't take my squirrel. Not like my 3-legged neutered squirrel could take over the island or anything....but I swore I'd never abandon a pet just to get into school. I know, I know....it's just a bushy-tailed tree rat...but I love that tree rat. And squirrels are one-person owners.

If I tried to get into SGU, I couldn't take my squirrel. Not like my 3-legged neutered squirrel could take over the island or anything....but I swore I'd never abandon a pet just to get into school. I know, I know....it's just a bushy-tailed tree rat...but I love that tree rat. And squirrels are one-person owners.

Has someone had some adult beverages?:D

I had a cockroach on my scull this am. Rowed all the way back so it wouldn't drown in the water. I'm such a sap.

I had a cockroach on my scull this am. Rowed all the way back so it wouldn't drown in the water. I'm such a sap.

Wow. I saved a butterfly once before, but a cockroach? Never. Besides, they don't need anyone's help. They will inherit the earth regardless of what we do to it. Blech!

Wow. I saved a butterfly once before, but a cockroach? Never. Besides, they don't need anyone's help. They will inherit the earth regardless of what we do to it. Blech!

Yeah, you're right. This one was special, though. It sorta turned toward me and listened while I sang off-key (cause I was so bored).

It wasn't anybody's day to die.

has anyone heard of anybody transferring from Ross to a US school? is sgu > ross (in the aspect of students transferring into US schools) what are you guys' thoughts on that?

Yup! One of the vets I work with spent his first year at Ross, then transferred to Tennessee for the last 3 years. He said that all he had to do to be accepted into the 2nd year for UT was take the first year final exams, which he said were pretty easy; he thought Ross prepared him for them very well. In case you're wondering about a time frame, this was about 15 years ago, give or take. He's a fantastic doctor and he said he really loved Ross! Ever since he learned that I was applying to vet school, he's been encouraging me to go there. :rolleyes: He wrote my recommendation for Ross, too! If you have any questions about it, PM me and I can ask him. He'll love it, too; he's really into reminiscing about his vet school days. :D

Yup! One of the vets I work with spent his first year at Ross, then transferred to Tennessee for the last 3 years. He said that all he had to do to be accepted into the 2nd year for UT was take the first year final exams, which he said were pretty easy; he thought Ross prepared him for them very well. In case you're wondering about a time frame, this was about 15 years ago, give or take. He's a fantastic doctor and he said he really loved Ross! Ever since he learned that I was applying to vet school, he's been encouraging me to go there. :rolleyes: He wrote my recommendation for Ross, too! If you have any questions about it, PM me and I can ask him. He'll love it, too; he's really into reminiscing about his vet school days. :D

Forgive me for what may sound like cynicism, I'm really just curious. Whenever I hear about someone raving about an overseas school when they transferred into a US school after 1 year, I always wonder why, if it's so great, they chose to leave. Is it just because of the accreditation/additional qualifying exams issue?

Like I said, I really don't mean this skeptically. I'm just curious why someone would leave a place they really really loved.

Forgive me for what may sound like cynicism, I'm really just curious. Whenever I hear about someone raving about an overseas school when they transferred into a US school after 1 year, I always wonder why, if it's so great, they chose to leave. Is it just because of the accreditation/additional qualifying exams issue?

Like I said, I really don't mean this skeptically. I'm just curious why someone would leave a place they really really loved.

That's what I said when he told me he went there for a year and loved it. It was definitely the accreditation issue for him. He said the tuition was about the same at both schools, but the accreditation exam would have cost too much money. Also, when he says he loved Ross, I take it with a grain of salt because I take everything he says with a grain of salt. This is the same doctor who once responded to a client who asked what he did with the testicles from a neuter that we feed them to the squirrels out back. :rolleyes::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I said when he told me he went there for a year and loved it. It was definitely the accreditation issue for him. He said the tuition was about the same at both schools, but the accreditation exam would have cost too much money.

That's what I expected. Still, had to ask. :) So I guess when/if Ross, etc. become accredited, then the decision to transfer or not might be different for those folks who seem to love that environment.

has anyone heard of anybody transferring from Ross to a US school?

Yes, one of the vets I know went to Ross (this was several years ago now!) and then transfered to Kansas.

I know a lot of people transfer out of the University of Glasgow back to a US vet school. I had/have the same questions as you - if you really loved it, then why transfer? Glasgow is an AVMA accredited school, so it seems silly.

But the main reasons seem to be: 1. Cheaper in the USA (tuition and cost of living), 2. Closer to family/SO/support network in the USA, and 3. Some people really can't handle the change in education system and culture

But the main reasons seem to be: 1. Cheaper in the USA (tuition and cost of living), 2. Closer to family/SO/support network in the USA, and 3. Some people really can't handle the change in education system and culture

Ah, those make sense, too. And help explain the choice in the context of accredited overseas school. Thanks!

how do transfers happen anyways? do people from island/international schools apply for spots in us schools and then wait for vacant spots to open up?

People make it seem like it's no big deal to transfer from any of the Caribbean schools to US schools.

It's not easy and I wouldn't plan on it--especially if your undergraduate GPA isn't so hot. Most vets schools have precious little spots open to begin with. That said, you are basically reapplying all over again. Some schools do not accept transfers at all...Auburn comes to mind.

People make it seem like it's no big deal to transfer from any of the Caribbean schools to US schools.

It's not easy and I wouldn't plan on it--especially if your undergraduate GPA isn't so hot. Most vets schools have precious little spots open to begin with. That said, you are basically reapplying all over again. Some schools do not accept transfers at all...Auburn comes to mind.

Very true. In fact, it's very competitive--and only a few schools accept transfer students. The process isn't any picnic, either. These people applied in the fall (special application but very extensive, I believe), flew from Grenada to Kansas just before Christmas for their interview, and were accepted. They had three weeks before the semester started in which to find housing, try to make arrangements to have their stuff moved from Grenada, etc. Paying double rent for a couple of months...they couldn't even tell their friends on the island they were applying because they wanted to minimize competition for the spots--so they didn't even get to say goodbye! Not fun. And NOT a piece of cake. It's definitely not a backup plan.

Plus, SGU is now kind of upset that we took so many of their tuition-paying students, so it might become even more difficult in the future.

Just read on another board that SGU's consultative site visit went "well." They are expecting their next site visit in 2009 or 2010.

In regards to the SGU AVMA accredidation...I went to a meeting from SGU on Valentine's day (yes, they had a meeting Valentine's day evening!!) and was told that they already had their first meeting and were given things to improve/add upon. They are expecting their next meeting with the AVMA this summer (I'm only assuming that SGU changed what the AVMA had suggested, otherwise there would be no point in them coming to check on SGU again!).

I asked the rep how that would translate into their accreditation status and was told that if all goes well it could take 1-5 years depending on how long the AVMA takes. In that case, if one were to attend SGU next year they could be 'grand-fathered' in with accreditation (assuming all goes well).

As far as Ross goes, I have no idea about their accreditaion status except that I believe they are in the same boat with SGU in that they are trying to attain it.

Again, this is all heresay and for all we know, in 10-15 years from now SGU and Ross could still be unaccredited. I just thought I'd let you all know what I have been told!:D

As far as Ross goes, I have no idea about their accreditaion status except that I believe they are in the same boat with SGU in that they are trying to attain it.

Ross has been on the road to AVMA accreditation for quite some time now. I have visited the island (2007), talked to folks in the know, and the consensus is that Ross is deficient in original research activities and minor physical plant issues. Ross is actively working to correct this. I don't remember when the next round of AVMA visits will be, but I think they recently had a site visit...

You ask that like it's a problem! !?!?!? :D :laugh:

Naw...I mean nothing by it! Just joking!

Heck, you're entitled to a lot of adult beverages after all you've been through!

Love your new avatar!

Here's hoping we'll all be part of some vet school's class of 2012 ;)

Naw...I mean nothing by it! Just joking!

Heck, you're entitled to a lot of adult beverages after all you've been through!

Love your new avatar!

Here's hoping we'll all be part of some vet school's class of 2012 ;)

That's why I put the smilieys after my original comment! :D
I can't believe I found the avatar, but needed a change! :)

Ive seen presentations by SGU/Ross reps every year for the last 4 years and they always say they should be accredited within the next year or two.

^ Really? I went to a Ross one last year and they didn't mention that at all.

so who's off to the caribbeans this summer? i applied and am waiting on their response *sigH*

Ive seen presentations by SGU/Ross reps every year for the last 4 years and they always say they should be accredited within the next year or two.

this is what our SGU transfer students said, too. That they say this every year.

Currently, there is no research going on at SGU. One of the big things they have to do is establish buildings, funding, projects, etc in order to meet the AAVMC's research requirement. (In my not-so-educated interpretation, it seems like this alone would take several years, especially if there's a requirement for quantity of publications generated from original research onsite, or whatever.)

There are many other things they have to do, too. It's a third-world country and animal use isn't nearly as regulated as it is here--though I'm not sure how/if that fits into the accreditation requirements.

so who's off to the caribbeans this summer? i applied and am waiting on their response *sigH*

Have you interviewed yet? I receieved acceptances for both Ross & SGU a couple of days after my interview...so if you already had yours, you should hear back in no time! :)

but I was just accepted to Glasgow...so I think that's where I'm headed. (As a side note: I would've chosen SGU had Glasgow not been thrown into the mix).

Have you interviewed yet? I receieved acceptances for both Ross & SGU a couple of days after my interview...so if you already had yours, you should hear back in no time! :)

but I was just accepted to Glasgow...so I think that's where I'm headed. (As a side note: I would've chosen SGU had Glasgow not been thrown into the mix).

Wow a few days! I had to wait 8 weeks for my Ross acceptance (which was torture since they told me 4-6). But i also was just accepted to Glasgow. So i have to decide in the next 5 days what i want to do before the Ross deposit is due.

no not yet...i barely mailed my transcripts into ross and am turning in SGU's online app. this week..so im hoping one bites bcuz the avma schools i applied to didn't accept me :(

but congrats on getting into Glasgow...and may i ask you why you would've chosen SGU over Ross (if Glasgow was not in the picture)

It seems there is a lot for me to address in this thread. For those of you who do not know me, I am the Enrollment Counselor for the vet school at St. George's University. I come in peace so please don't bite.

Transfer students...... Yes we have a couple of students from each class that transfer out to U.S. schools. Please do not come to SGU with the mindset that you will transfer out. Please come to SGU for what we have to offer (which is a lot). SGU has not ever gotten mad about losing students to the states. We have always and will always helped those select students in the transition of schools, and we are proud of the fact that Kansas State looks to us when they lose some of their own students.

Accreditation: Yes we are in the process and started the process right after we had our first graduating class in 2003. We did have a site visit in the summer of 2007 which we feel went well. We do not want to mislead any of our students by giving a date. We have always been upcoming and realistic about the time frame of when it could occur to our students. Once we request a final visit, it could take 6 or more months to eventually get a date for that visit, so that alone makes it difficult to predict when it will happen. I can tell you the the school is working full force to make sure everything is in place for the final visit. All of our current students can attest to the amount of constructiont that has occured on our campus over the past year solely for the vet students.
Somone mentioned research was a weakness for us, which is not true. Our campus has the Windref research facility that has been in existence for several years. I was just in Grenada last week, and sat through hours of research presentations that our vet faculity and grad students have completed or are currently working on. It is our goal to be ready for a final site visit in the fall of 09 or spring of 2010.

If you guys have any questions/concerns, PLEASE feel free to e-mail me. I am not here to push my school on anyone. I just want to make sure everyone who is interested has the correct information so they can make the best decision for their own individual needs.

Ross has told me I have an interview, but I don't know when it is yet. I'd really like to have it already, so I can know what's going on this fall. I applied back in September, but they wouldn't do anything until they had my transcripts, then they granted me an interview but haven't called me about it yet. I'm kinda going bonkers. I super duper want to start in May, but I have a prereq that I'm finishing this semester, and since my school was silly and didn't start classes 'til the end of January, my finals aren't until the end of May.

I come in peace so please don't bite.

I think he maybe understands how crazy most of us are getting with anxiety! :)

I wish more schools had a resource like you, Jeff (that posts here, specifically) .... it would really help a lot of the debates we get ourselves into ...

You have mail, Jeff. :)

It seems there is a lot for me to address in this thread. For those of you who do not know me, I am the Enrollment Counselor for the vet school at St. George's University. I come in peace so please don't bite.

Transfer students...... Yes we have a couple of students from each class that transfer out to U.S. schools. Please do not come to SGU with the mindset that you will transfer out. Please come to SGU for what we have to offer (which is a lot). SGU has not ever gotten mad about losing students to the states. We have always and will always helped those select students in the transition of schools, and we are proud of the fact that Kansas State looks to us when they lose some of their own students.

Accreditation: Yes we are in the process and started the process right after we had our first graduating class in 2003. We did have a site visit in the summer of 2007 which we feel went well. We do not want to mislead any of our students by giving a date. We have always been upcoming and realistic about the time frame of when it could occur to our students. Once we request a final visit, it could take 6 or more months to eventually get a date for that visit, so that alone makes it difficult to predict when it will happen. I can tell you the the school is working full force to make sure everything is in place for the final visit. All of our current students can attest to the amount of constructiont that has occured on our campus over the past year solely for the vet students.
Somone mentioned research was a weakness for us, which is not true. Our campus has the Windref research facility that has been in existence for several years. I was just in Grenada last week, and sat through hours of research presentations that our vet faculity and grad students have completed or are currently working on. It is our goal to be ready for a final site visit in the fall of 09 or spring of 2010.

If you guys have any questions/concerns, PLEASE feel free to e-mail me. I am not here to push my school on anyone. I just want to make sure everyone who is interested has the correct information so they can make the best decision for their own individual needs.

Wow a few days! I had to wait 8 weeks for my Ross acceptance (which was torture since they told me 4-6). But i also was just accepted to Glasgow. So i have to decide in the next 5 days what i want to do before the Ross deposit is due.

I called and receieved an extension on the deposit deadline for both schools...perhaps you could try that if you're still trying to make up your mind.

no not yet...i barely mailed my transcripts into ross and am turning in SGU's online app. this week..so im hoping one bites bcuz the avma schools i applied to didn't accept me :(

but congrats on getting into Glasgow...and may i ask you why you would've chosen SGU over Ross (if Glasgow was not in the picture)

I'm still waiting on 4 other schools myself (Wisconsin, Oregon, Guelph & PEI). But I know how you feel...I applied to 23 in total...it was rejection after rejection. But I can kind of laugh about it now, lol.

I was always leaning towards SGU (b/c I knew more about the school than I did ross) but I still gave Ross a fair chance. I researched both schools for the longest time (read the school websites, current/past student journals, etc). But it came down to SGU partly because of what Jeff just mentioned in this thread; and partly because of all the negative remarks I read about Ross. I can't recall reading anything bad about SGU (I probably did, but if I don't remember it, it couldn't have been that bad). All the bad stuff about Ross just stuck in my head. One example...One of the biggest was that the administration could care less how you're doing as a student...no support whatsoever. They would rather fail you out so another student can take your place. (This occurs especially in the first year.) One kid was off on one of his exam by like 2.3 points and his professor moved to expel him....he went over to SMU or SGU after that. Ross just seems money hungry instead of encouraging its students to become great vets.

So yeah...that was one of the bigger ones for me. If you want to know more don't hesitate.

Yea..i do get the impression that SGU seems very supportive of its' students (i.e. Jeff being such a great recruiter) and judging from the contacts I have been getting from Ross, they do seem a bit rushed with everything and not really accomodating to any questions or issues I may be having.

I'm still waiting on 4 other schools myself (Wisconsin, Oregon, Guelph & PEI). But I know how you feel...I applied to 23 in total...it was rejection after rejection. But I can kind of laugh about it now, lol.

I was always leaning towards SGU (b/c I knew more about the school than I did ross) but I still gave Ross a fair chance. I researched both schools for the longest time (read the school websites, current/past student journals, etc). But it came down to SGU partly because of what Jeff just mentioned in this thread; and partly because of all the negative remarks I read about Ross. I can't recall reading anything bad about SGU (I probably did, but if I don't remember it, it couldn't have been that bad). All the bad stuff about Ross just stuck in my head. One example...One of the biggest was that the administration could care less how you're doing as a student...no support whatsoever. They would rather fail you out so another student can take your place. (This occurs especially in the first year.) One kid was off on one of his exam by like 2.3 points and his professor moved to expel him....he went over to SMU or SGU after that. Ross just seems money hungry instead of encouraging its students to become great vets.

So yeah...that was one of the bigger ones for me. If you want to know more don't hesitate.

I called and receieved an extension on the deposit deadline for both schools...perhaps you could try that if you're still trying to make up your mind.

Thats a really good idea - thanks for the advice! :)

I called the AVMA.

Ross nor SGU has applied to have their final AVMA accreditation visit. I called both schools- which stated exactly what Jeff did. Basically, "decision visits" are planned for a few years. So I am not holding my breath.

I'm still headed towards Ross, only for a few reasons. It's a little shorter flight and I could get a non-stop from NYC. The accelerated program will allow me to graduate with my friends that are already in vet school, and get home sooner. The main reason is that I can get Stafford and Direct Loan loans, and can defer my student loans interest free while at Ross (according to Direct Loans, I could not defer them while at SGU).

I called the AVMA.

Ross nor SGU has applied to have their final AVMA accreditation visit. I called both schools- which stated exactly what Jeff did. Basically, "decision visits" are planned for a few years. So I am not holding my breath.

I'm still headed towards Ross, only for a few reasons. It's a little shorter flight and I could get a non-stop from NYC. The accelerated program will allow me to graduate with my friends that are already in vet school, and get home sooner. The main reason is that I can get Stafford and Direct Loan loans, and can defer my student loans interest free while at Ross (according to Direct Loans, I could not defer them while at SGU).

have u visited their campus? i just applied there and am assuming I will have an interview w/ them soon cuz my status says "interview stage" and what do you think of the school? do u think they provide you with enough support to have got you through the admission process?

My friend is actually at Ross now and the vet I work for went to Ross as well....and they both recommend it highly! They say it is beautiful there!! The vet actually goes back every so often to visit and she says that everyone on the island actually remembers you even if it has been a couple years!

I didn't apply there due to the accreditation issues, but I think anyone that goes there gets a great education!!! Good Luck!!!

I have not been to either SGU or Ross. o.

Last edited:
I have not been to either SGU or Ross. A professor said he went to SGU and was very very impressed.

I'm older and determined. I have heard from students at Ross that it is what you make of it. I'll make it a good deal, where I go.

are you starting ross this september?

from the websites, it looks like SGU has more updated facilities *i.e. dorms/surgery suites/teaching hospital** than Ross....can any current ross/sgu students chime in here regarding this?

Hi everyone,

I thought I would go ahead and put my two cents in on this subject.

As for the campus facilities, I believe that SGU is by far the most advanced and attractive campus. However, when I visited Ross I thought the campus was nice. They have a large anatomy lab and a few neat tidbits like a row of toxic plants (for their toxicology course I'm guessing). The only reason I chose not to go there was because of safety concerns.

St. Matthew's doesn't have the greatest classrooms when compared to those two schools, but they are more than adequate in my opinion. We do alot of anatomy and clinical skills stuff at our surgical clinic, but at the moment it is several miles away from our main campus so we can't just go there whenever we want for a lecture or something. It's mostly for the surgical students anyway.

My roommate was offered a position at Kansas State over Christmas break. And she was not going to have to repeat many classes, except for pharmacology I believe. Anyway, after much debate, she decided to stay, because she really likes St. Matthew's. I then had a classmate who transferred to Murdoch this semester.

With that said, it is totally possible to succesfully transfer into the states. But none of my friends came down here thinking that they would try (or want) to transfer out. If you make good grades at a caribbean veterinary school, transferring is possible.

Don't quote me on this, but it seems like veterinary students have an easier time transferring than the medical students do. I think it may be because there are so few vet schools and all of them know who we are and what we are doing down here. It's a very small community.

Good luck everyone!

In case anyone is interested...I did A LOT of research (from both school websites) when I thought they were my only option and this is what I've noticed about the 2 curriculums (Ross v. SGU):

A) SGU has 1 intro to clinics and 6 clinical skills courses; Ross has 2 intro to clinics and no clinical skills courses
B) Ross has 2 small animal medicine; SGU only has one (which stinks...but perhaps it's just condensed to 1 course, not sure)
C) Ross is about 129 credits for pre-clinical; SGU is about 116
D) Ross gives Diseases of Poultry; SGU avian, fish and pocket pets diseases
E) Ross gives animal nutrition; SGU animal production
F) SGU teaches extra courses: Histology, Neuroscience and an animal welfare, behavior & ethics course (Ross doesn't have these)
G) Ross starts at 20 credits and goes up and down throughout semester; SGU goes from 18 to 20 increasing the # thruout semester (SGU might be an easier adjustment if you had difficulty in undergrad)
H) Ross is 10 semesters (8-10 in US)...SGU is 9 semesters (6-9 in US)
I) Ross has 4-5 courses/semester; SGU has 5-7/semester