Carib Vet Schools

Started by kinkajou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still waiting on 4 other schools myself (Wisconsin, Oregon, Guelph & PEI). But I know how you feel...I applied to 23 in total...it was rejection after rejection. But I can kind of laugh about it now, lol.

I was always leaning towards SGU (b/c I knew more about the school than I did ross) but I still gave Ross a fair chance. I researched both schools for the longest time (read the school websites, current/past student journals, etc). But it came down to SGU partly because of what Jeff just mentioned in this thread; and partly because of all the negative remarks I read about Ross. I can't recall reading anything bad about SGU (I probably did, but if I don't remember it, it couldn't have been that bad). All the bad stuff about Ross just stuck in my head. One example...One of the biggest was that the administration could care less how you're doing as a student...no support whatsoever. They would rather fail you out so another student can take your place. (This occurs especially in the first year.) One kid was off on one of his exam by like 2.3 points and his professor moved to expel him....he went over to SMU or SGU after that. Ross just seems money hungry instead of encouraging its students to become great vets.

So yeah...that was one of the bigger ones for me. If you want to know more don't hesitate.
I recently went to Ross for two semesters. Sadly, I was one of those to not acclimate well to their environment. It's a long story, and I'm happy to answer any questions via PM but I'm not really up to writing out a sob story for you here.
As to Ross being money hungry: I have mixed feelings about this. The school does provide an excellent education for its students. However, I left in December 08 and the incoming Spring 09 class was slated at something like 135 students! Which is astronomical, in my opinion. And the class sizes just seem to keep growing; mine was 120 (Summer 08), then 125+/- (Fall 08). A lot of people get 'culled out' by the end of second semester (hand raised here), I think my class is at around 75 or 80 now. But still, I can't help but wonder at admitting soooo many students expecting X number to fail instead of admitting fewer and giving them a potentially better chance of staying?
I am off to SMU in May, mainly because I feel my performance at Ross during second semester had too many "ifs" and I know I can do this. Even my professors (three of whom wrote my LORs for SMU) know I can do this. It was just a shame Ross wasn't willing to give me a second chance to prove myself.
(and yes, I realize second chances in life are rare. all we can do is ask and hope.)
I feel I can give a pretty well-rounded opinion/information about Ross, should any of you want to PM me. Most of my anger/disappointment/frustration lays squarly on my own shoulders!
To all of you who got in this year: CONGRATS!
To all of you awaiting answers: GOOD LUCK!
To all of you still working your ass off in undergrad/pre-reqs: IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT IN THE END!!!
🙂
 
I did go to Ross, and the answer is yes, if you fail ONE course you can repeat the semester. Actually, you have two "chances" like this (i.e. you can fail twice overall). But if you fail TWO (or more) courses in one semester, then you are out. There have been a few exceptions to this rule, mainly people who have extinuating circumstances like medical issues or family trouble back home (i.e. death), stuff like that.

But ultimately, once you are out, you are out.