Caribbean/1st Gen African/American

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espadaleader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Has anyone noticed the distinction between Caribbean Americans, 1st generation Africans Americans and traditional African Americans? I live in a major NY city and I have not yet to meet a pre-medical student that was not of Caribbean descent or a 1st generation African. As a traditional African American I feel even more "left out". The small private college I go to has a 5% black student population. I am the only traditional African American in the sciences. The other blacks in the sciences are not. I plan on writing a paper on the phenomenological and psychological differences between these three groups. Any comments will help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, most Black pre-med students I know are Black Americans (descendants of slaves) but when I started interviewing at medical schools, I noticed that the majority of the Black students (including at the HBCUs) are Caribbean or 1st gen African Americans. This is not the case at my school, which probably has less than 10% Blacks so I'm not sure why many of the pre-med Black Americans are not matriculating to med school, other than the fact that it's not an easy path to take. I was a soc major so I'm sure I could come up with something but I'm half sleep right now lol I would love to read your paper after you write it!

Well, I am still in HS (note the status) but most of the people I know planning on going into health fields (nursing, med school, etc)are the first generation caribbean americans , including myself. The AA I know plan on going into engineering/business. I believe it really doesnt have a correlation though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think that this tendency has to do with the fact that 1st generation / Caribbean students come from families that push for careers that have stability. Healthcare is perceived to provide job security.

I personally think that this tendency has to do with the fact that 1st generation / Caribbean students come from families that push for careers that have stability. Healthcare is perceived to provide job security.

You are right on the money.

A random post from this thread:

I know plenty of African immigrants, all of which are well-to-do hardworking professionals.

Most of which would be upset to be associated with African American "ghetto" culture.

+1

In my experience, when it comes to black URMs in medicine, descendants of immigrants are vastly overrepresented.

The Immigration Act of 1965 probably has something to do with it. The combination of a family provision with a skills-based provision in that Act ensured the immigration of a highly skilled, well-educated professional class (which ended up being primarily from Africa, India, and China) and the subsequent chain migration of their family members. The result are ethnic networks replete with enough enduring transferable cultural capital (with US economic utility -- i.e., physicians, engineers, computer scientists) to successfully influence each generation born into their respective professional class immigrant culture.

An analogous scenario is likely occurring with Asian ethnic demographics, where I'm sure the Hmong, Laotians, and Cambodians are chronically and sorely underrepresented in the med school applicant pool. Those SE Asian groups came over here largely under asylee/refugee status during the Vietnam war but because they had little transferable cultural capital (being largely from rural mountainous areas) they had trouble adjusting and continue to experience poor societal outcomes (e.g., with HS graduation rates nearly half of blacks).

When it comes to who ends up in the US and what their level of academic success is there is a definite trend. Those who came here through the established naturalization processes are usually of middle-to-upper class professional backgrounds. Their US enclave cultures propel those raised in it to achieve similar or greater status. More importantly, they are often benefited by having an accessible pool of role models and information networks within their ethnic network to make this task all the more easier. For non-US black ethnic groups, it is all too easy to use these set of advantages to highlight distinctions between them and the negative stereotypes of the endogenous black US population, which can actually sustain further achievement of the former (via a process that has been termed "group contrast effects").

On the other hand, those who belong to communities of people who came forcibly (slaves, lmao), as asylee/refugee status (the aformentioned SE Asian groups), or who overcame minimal barriers to migration -- legal or not (parts of the Haitian and Mexican diaspora) -- often come from more disadvantaged backgrounds and consequently have a more problematic assimilation.

A random post from this thread:

+1

In my experience, when it comes to black URMs in medicine, descendants of immigrants are vastly overrepresented.

The Immigration Act of 1965 probably has something to do with it. The combination of a family provision with a skills-based provision in that Act ensured the immigration of a highly skilled, well-educated professional class (which ended up being primarily from Africa, India, and China) and the subsequent chain migration of their family members. The result are ethnic networks replete with enough enduring transferable cultural capital (with US economic utility -- i.e., physicians, engineers, computer scientists) to successfully influence each generation born into their respective professional class immigrant culture.

An analogous scenario is likely occurring with Asian ethnic demographics, where I'm sure the Hmong, Laotians, and Cambodians are chronically and sorely underrepresented in the med school applicant pool. Those SE Asian groups came over here largely under asylee/refugee status during the Vietnam war but because they had little transferable cultural capital (being largely from rural mountainous areas) they had trouble adjusting and continue to experience poor societal outcomes (e.g., with HS graduation rates nearly half of blacks).

When it comes to who ends up in the US and what their level of academic success is there is a definite trend. Those who came here through the established naturalization processes are usually of middle-to-upper class professional backgrounds. Their US enclave cultures propel those raised in it to achieve similar or greater status. More importantly, they are often benefited by having an accessible pool of role models and information networks within their ethnic network to make this task all the more easier. For non-US black ethnic groups, it is all too easy to use these set of advantages to highlight distinctions between them and the negative stereotypes of the endogenous black US population, which can actually sustain further achievement of the former (via a process that has been termed "group contrast effects").

On the other hand, those who belong to communities of people who came forcibly (slaves, lmao), as asylee/refugee status (the aformentioned SE Asian groups), or who overcame minimal barriers to migration -- legal or not (parts of the Haitian and Mexican diaspora) -- often come from more disadvantaged backgrounds and consequently have a more problematic assimilation.

Yes. Great feedback. Thank you.

Hello everyone. Has anyone noticed the distinction between Caribbean Americans, 1st generation Africans Americans and traditional African Americans? I live in a major NY city and I have not yet to meet a pre-medical student that was not of Caribbean descent or a 1st generation African. As a traditional African American I feel even more "left out". The small private college I go to has a 5% black student population. I am the only traditional African American in the sciences. The other blacks in the sciences are not. I plan on writing a paper on the phenomenological and psychological differences between these three groups. Any comments will help. Thanks.

Good topic.

How many 1st generation Caribbean or African students grow up in single parent households? How many of them are latchkey inner-city kids? How many live in rural towns where higher education is a luxury? There are distinct cultural differences between us.

Of course, there are claims that traditional AAs lack the work ethic shared by other blacks. There's some truth to that, I would think. Furthermore, I've noticed a tendency for traditional AAs to enter the humanities, the social sciences, or professions such as law rather than enter fields like engineering, natural sciences, or medicine. As a whole, our interests may lie elsewhere.

FWIW, I'm one of a few traditional AAs going the pre-med route at my school--and I'm a post-bacc.

Good topic.

How many 1st generation Caribbean or African students grow up in single parent households? How many of them are latchkey inner-city kids? How many live in rural towns where higher education is a luxury?
A lot of 1st generation Caribbean students grew up in the aforementioned situations. This is especially true in cities that have a high percentage of immigrants from the islands.
(i.e NYC). It's all about familial mentality regarding education and its purpose.

A lot of 1st generation Caribbean students grew up in the aforementioned situations. This is especially true in cities that have a high percentage of immigrants from the islands.
(i.e NYC). It's all about familial mentality regarding education and its purpose.

Yeah, those kids are different though. They have seen in their homelands black doctors, lawyers, police, presidents...everything is black. A island family can be super poor, but they psychologically are better prepared. A traditional AA family probably has never seen a black doctor before, never had a black professor or teacher etc. It is a huge barrier --- a lot of us wonder is it possible.

(i.e NYC).

Operative phrase being "first generation". African-Americans have been living in those conditions for decades, even centuries now.

It's all about familial mentality regarding education and its purpose.

No, it really isn't that simple. It has a lot to do with one group not experiencing the psychological barriers that the other group has been subjected to for an extended period of time. After getting hit in the head so many times, eventually you give up.

Operative phrase being "first generation". African-Americans have been living in those conditions for decades, even centuries now.

No, it really isn't that simple. It has a lot to do with one group not experiencing the psychological barriers that the other group has been subjected to for an extended period of time. After getting hit in the head so many times, eventually you give up.[/QUOTE]

No matter how you spin it. The facts are evident no matter what type of "black" person you are, you are still black and you are treated accordingly. Very few people can tell the difference between a first generation AA or a black. What is sad, is you forget that there are sereral legacies of African Americans or "blacks" that pride themselves on academic excellence. Hence, why there are great HBCUs etc. In contrast, there many first generation immigrants that appear to desire to assimilate into the American culture. What do you think they copy?---See BET. The reprecussion on slavery on blacks period run deep and affects resonate far beyond the scope generational lineage.Parents may push for higher education but it doesnt neccesarily mean you will listen.... actually more likely you will not listen and listen to your peers. Thats' psychology 101. And the bolded part is pathetic on your part.

Immigrants of races have a problem with thier childeren throwing away their culture to assimilate. While this may not be academic sucide for some races.... A first generation AA subscribing to what the media illustrates as "Black culture" will either result in spot superstar, an entertainer, a prison inmate and a single parent mom. As you see being an intellectual is not among the options.

No matter how you spin it. The facts are evident no matter what type of "black" person you are, you are still black and you are treated accordingly.

Never said this wasn't the case--just that there are fundamental differences between African-Americans and blacks from other areas (Africa, Latin America, Europe, etc.).

Very few people can tell the difference between a first generation AA or a black.

Which has little to do with the current discussion.

What is sad, is you forget that there are sereral legacies of African Americans or "blacks" that pride themselves on academic excellence. Hence, why there are great HBCUs etc.

I haven't "forgotten" about anything. Yes, the African-American community does have a rich history with regard to educational pursuit. But educational history does not explain the disparity in the numbers of African-Americans who pursue technical careers. This is where social science comes into play.

In contrast, there many first generation immigrants that appear to desire to assimilate into the American culture. What do you think they copy?---See BET.

Please. Hardly anybody over the age of 25 watches BET anymore on a regular basis, so I highly doubt that immigrants, many of whom are hellbent on trying to separate themselves from African-Americans, would watch BET.

The reprecussion on slavery on blacks period run deep and affects resonate far beyond the scope generational lineage.Parents may push for higher education but it doesnt neccesarily mean you will listen.... actually more likely you will not listen and listen to your peers. Thats' psychology 101.

You want to preach Psychology 101--yet you want to overlook the fact that African-Americans living in compromised living conditions are the victims of a damaged psyche fueled by decades of race-based oppression. Okaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy.... :rolleyes:

Perhaps the reason why youth listen to their peers rather than their parents (who may push the importance of education) is because they, like others before them, do not see the immediate benefits of pursuing an education.

And the bolded part is pathetic on your part.

No, the bolded part indicates that years of oppression leads to apathy. The "promise" and "hope" that immigrants seem to emanate has long dissipated from many African-Americans living in harsh conditions because they no longer see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Immigrants of races have a problem with thier childeren throwing away their culture to assimilate. While this may not be academic sucide for some races.... A first generation AA subscribing to what the media illustrates as "Black culture" will either result in spot superstar, an entertainer, a prison inmate and a single parent mom. As you see being an intellectual is not among the options.

I think you overestimate the effects that African-American culture have on immigrants and you assume that immigrants WANT to fully assimilate into the culture of American blacks. In the years that I've spent in classrooms with first generation Africans and Caribbeans, this isn't entirely accurate. They want to be as popular as the African-American kids but at the end of the day they want to hold on to their own cultural identities. They want to be "black" (hip, popular, cool) without actually having to be "black" (victims of oppression, subjected to racial stereotypes, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you overestimate the effects that African-American culture have on immigrants and you assume that immigrants WANT to fully assimilate into the culture of American blacks. In the years that I've spent in classrooms with first generation Africans and Caribbeans, this isn't entirely accurate. They want to be as popular as the African-American kids but at the end of the day they want to hold on to their own cultural identities. They want to be "black" (hip, popular, cool) without actually having to be "black" (victims of oppression, subjected to racial stereotypes, etc.).

As a 1st generation African, AGREED! ready2rumble's assertions are spot on. We constantly hear from our parent's, "take the good aspect of your culture and the good aspect of their culture and join them together."
Also, even back home, we are brought up to think that we can conquer the world, despite less than ideal situations at times. We have good examples in our parents, or those surrounding us.
I think it is all in your family background. If you have your family constantly pushing you, and telling you that you can accomplish anything, you will. (That is, if finances, and life do not get in the way.)

As a 1st generation African, AGREED! ready2rumble's assertions are spot on. We constantly hear from our parent's, "take the good aspect of your culture and the good aspect of their culture and join them together."
Also, even back home, we are brought up to think that we can conquer the world, despite less than ideal situations at times. We have good examples in our parents, or those surrounding us.
I think it is all in your family background. If you have your family constantly pushing you, and telling you that you can accomplish anything, you will. (That is, if finances, and life do not get in the way.)

As I first generation African I never heard such words come out my parents mouth. Well I guess it has to do with the fact I am half black and half african..whatever that means. I have never been to Africa, I see the United States as my home.... born and raised here.

Never said this wasn't the case--just that there are fundamental differences between African-Americans and blacks from other areas (Africa, Latin America, Europe, etc.).

Which has little to do with the current discussion.

I haven't "forgotten" about anything. Yes, the African-American community does have a rich history with regard to educational pursuit. But educational history does not explain the disparity in the numbers of African-Americans who pursue technical careers. This is where social science comes into play.

Please. Hardly anybody over the age of 25 watches BET anymore on a regular basis, so I highly doubt that immigrants, many of whom are hellbent on trying to separate themselves from African-Americans, would watch BET.

You want to preach Psychology 101--yet you want to overlook the fact that African-Americans living in compromised living conditions are the victims of a damaged psyche fueled by decades of race-based oppression. Okaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy.... :rolleyes:

Perhaps the reason why youth listen to their peers rather than their parents (who may push the importance of education) is because they, like others before them, do not see the immediate benefits of pursuing an education.

No, the bolded part indicates that years of oppression leads to apathy. The "promise" and "hope" that immigrants seem to emanate has long dissipated from many African-Americans living in harsh conditions because they no longer see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think you overestimate the effects that African-American culture have on immigrants and you assume that immigrants WANT to fully assimilate into the culture of American blacks. In the years that I've spent in classrooms with first generation Africans and Caribbeans, this isn't entirely accurate. They want to be as popular as the African-American kids but at the end of the day they want to hold on to their own cultural identities. They want to be "black" (hip, popular, cool) without actually having to be "black" (victims of oppression, subjected to racial stereotypes, etc.). [/QUOTE]

I am talking about black culture, this "hip, popular and cool" you are talking about is not always but can be associated with black culture but it is not black culture. The premise of your arguement rest of the belief that isolated family culture trumps societial culture and this is just not true. This can be seen with African Americans that are raised with white parents. Although the statistics are lowered they are still more likely than thier white peers to be in prison. Why is this the case? Because societial pressures are evident.. And for the notion that 1st generation do not wish to assimilate that goes against any literature I have read. In addition, I think you will be hard pressed to find any that backs up your conclusion.

The premise of your arguement rest of the belief that isolated family culture trumps societial culture and this is just not true. This can be seen with African Americans that are raised with white parents. Although the statistics are lowered they are still more likely than thier white peers to be in prison. Why is this the case? Because societial pressures are evident.. And for the notion that 1st generation do not wish to assimilate that goes against any literature I have read. In addition, I think you will be hard pressed to find any that backs up your conclusion.[/QUOTE]

I would not consider you a 1st generation African. If you were not born in Africa, then you are considered African American.

I do not think ready2rumble said that 1st generations refuse to assimilate. All she is saying is that they do not take in the negative aspects of the AA culture.

Also, how many African Americans do you know are "raised with white parents?"

I concur with the OP :D. My parents are from Jamaica and I am a first gen college students. Healthcare fields are very well-respected in my household. I don't think traditional AA have that Je ne sais quoi to them, lol (well the ones that I know). Plus I was discipline when I was younger for getting bad grades or stuff :mad: But it all work out in the long run :cool:

Yeah, those kids are different though. They have seen in their homelands black doctors, lawyers, police, presidents...everything is black. A island family can be super poor, but they psychologically are better prepared. A traditional AA family probably has never seen a black doctor before, never had a black professor or teacher etc. It is a huge barrier --- a lot of us wonder is it possible.
You are absolutely right.It is all about the mental state.I am a first generation African who was in a relationship with an African American.I did not grow up in luxury in Africa but I picked up good work ethics.I came to America as a 20 yr old refugee and have come a long way finding myself on the premed route.This of course does not apply to every AA but is my personal experience.I am far from a gunner,but I did get very frustrated with the habits,priorities and points of view.If the desire to succeed is present,then usually its the know -how.This results in a person constantly fighting themselves and slowing their own progress due to lack of self-confidence,self-worth,exposure to positivity or whatever I don't know.Its a disheartening situation but I hope like all things,it will change for the better with time.

As I first generation African I never heard such words come out my parents mouth. Well I guess it has to do with the fact I am half black and half african..whatever that means. I have never been to Africa, I see the United States as my home.... born and raised here.

I think what you should call it is "half African/American and half African", because, it's all "black". Of course the African American version has lots of mix with other races(white/Native/Hispanic/Asian) etc; unlike the African version which very rarely has mixed blood of other races.

But it's still black.

I have definitely noticed the op's observations at my school. The majority of the black pre-meds are 1st gen African/Caribbean.

I myself am 1st gen (half Caribbean, half African) and have experienced the pressure from my parents to pursue medicine due to job security. They have also been very encouraging and constantly let me know that I can do anything if I work hard.

This encouragement has given me the self esteem and confidence to pursue medicine. IMO I feel that many (not all) black American kids don't have the same family support that immigrant kids have which allow them to realize their full potential.

I am African. It all goes back to the role models that have been a constant in your life. Growing up, all the doctors, lawyers, politicians, heck presidents i knew were all black. This has a profound psychological effect, albeit in an unconscious way. And you don't really realize it until you come to the US. I would have continued living my life knowing I was top of the top, as my mother constantly said lol. Then you come to the US and realize that there is a value placed on you because of your race, and that if you are black then that value is comparatively lower.
But personalities and self worth have already formed and that is why you find most Africans will do remarkably well in places that are 99% white. The microstress of being a minority is cancelled out by the knowledge that if worst comes to worst, you have a place that you can always go back to, to a people that will love you no matter what.

I also think having seen life at its absolute worst puts things in perspective for most Africans. I have walked through slums, where sewage literally flows in front of a person's house. Also you go to hospitals and see people die because of things like a TB or Malaria. And horrible sores in their mouths :eek:. So when you come to the US, a person who discriminates/is racist against you or you are the only black person etc - all these is small fish. There are worse things in life than people who look down on you based on your race, is what I'm trying to say. But remember this is the perspective of one African immigrant :)

But the reality is we are all black, yet our different cultures have a huge effect on the way we view life and how we are treated. Believe it or not, as African, people treat you different when you open your mouth and they hear the accent. Because they realize that you are not 'black' in the American understanding of the word. They become a lot nicer and warmer :wtf:. And some go the other direction - literally ignore you. I will admit I have never understood this.

Oh what a world.

I believe it's a combination of a mindset thing and a selection bias. I will use my family as an example. My grandma came over from the carribean totally by herself. She left her husband, and kids, parents, and siblings and came to new york to seek a better life for her entire family. She worked extremely hard and eventually earned enough to send for her husband, then her kids one by one, then her siblings and parents. It takes an extreme amount of drive, work ethic, and intellect to travel to a foreign land with no support and suceed.

When someone like this yields offspring who have similar genes but who have also seen the the actions and successes of their parents can't help but push and encourage their own kids to similar heights.

So I think there is some self selection for sure and others have already commented on the mindset thing

I am African and starting med sch this fall. I have wondered two things, first off, where do all the pre-meds in the HBCUs go? (I schooled in a predominantly white sch with most premeds being white or asian) When I went on interviews, I was usually the only black person, and the other black people I encountered were African or Carribean. At my second look day, all the blacks were african or carribean, all THREE of us lol. But I am very sure there are alot of african american pre meds, so do they only apply to HBCU? Or are they selected against somehow? I am just curious.
Also, how is it that there are so many african americans WITHIN healthcare, PAs, RNs, Med Techs, ANYTHING but medicine. I realised the extent of it when I went to get a vaccination for matriculation, and the lady, an african american when she heard it was for medical school, she asked "Oh are you trying to be a nurse?"
I felt a bit offended at the stereotype and guessed it must have been a combination of me being female and being black. She tried to save face by stating, medical school, you look so young... I am pretty sure nurses go to nursing school though, or am I wrong? lol. I have been wondering where on SDN to post these questions and Im happy I found this thread. It makes me feel like theres more people out there like me in the US medical schools :)

Also, how is it that there are so many african americans WITHIN healthcare, PAs, RNs, Med Techs, ANYTHING but medicine.

:caution:
This is not just unique to one group.I would say this is just simple stats. It takes comparatively less resources and effort to be an RN etc compared to being a doctor. Thus every ethnicity has more RNs, Lab Techs etc compared to doctors, just because its so much more easier.

:caution:
This is not just unique to one group.I would say this is just simple stats. It takes comparatively less resources and effort to be an RN etc compared to being a doctor. Thus every ethnicity has more RNs, Lab Techs etc compared to doctors, just because its so much more easier.

Yes I agree. However I still think if there was a ratio of doctors to other healthcare professions, the african american number would be way lower than caucasians, indians or asians. And I wasnt dissing anyone so enough of the yellow flag yo :p Do I get a red now?

I believe it's a combination of a mindset thing and a selection bias. I will use my family as an example. My grandma came over from the carribean totally by herself. She left her husband, and kids, parents, and siblings and came to new york to seek a better life for her entire family. She worked extremely hard and eventually earned enough to send for her husband, then her kids one by one, then her siblings and parents. It takes an extreme amount of drive, work ethic, and intellect to travel to a foreign land with no support and suceed.

When someone like this yields offspring who have similar genes but who have also seen the the actions and successes of their parents can't help but push and encourage their own kids to similar heights.

So I think there is some self selection for sure and others have already commented on the mindset thing

:thumbup:

Immigrated here twelve yrs ago w/ just a cloth on my back & here are my accomplishment thus far: factory employee>medical assistant>BS-PA (physician assistant)/Master degree> & pursuing an MD degree. Would I have higher expectation from my children; absolutely!

Immigrated here twelve yrs ago w/ just a cloth on my back & here are my accomplishment thus far: factory employee>medical assistant>BS-PA (physician assistant)/Master degree> & pursuing an MD degree. Would I have higher expectation from my children; absolutely!

Amazing! :bow::bow:

I am African and starting med sch this fall. I have wondered two things, first off, where do all the pre-meds in the HBCUs go? (I schooled in a predominantly white sch with most premeds being white or asian) When I went on interviews, I was usually the only black person, and the other black people I encountered were African or Carribean. At my second look day, all the blacks were african or carribean, all THREE of us lol. But I am very sure there are alot of african american pre meds, so do they only apply to HBCU? Or are they selected against somehow? I am just curious.
Also, how is it that there are so many african americans WITHIN healthcare, PAs, RNs, Med Techs, ANYTHING but medicine. I realised the extent of it when I went to get a vaccination for matriculation, and the lady, an african american when she heard it was for medical school, she asked "Oh are you trying to be a nurse?"
I felt a bit offended at the stereotype and guessed it must have been a combination of me being female and being black. She tried to save face by stating, medical school, you look so young... I am pretty sure nurses go to nursing school though, or am I wrong? lol. I have been wondering where on SDN to post these questions and Im happy I found this thread. It makes me feel like theres more people out there like me in the US medical schools :)

I graduated from an hbcu and i'm pre-med

Can I throw Canada into the debate?

The "African-Canadian" community is small. The vast majority of black people in Canada are African and Caribbean. Africans and Caribbeans are even more underrepresented in sciences in Canada than they are here in the US. 50% of black males do not graduate highschool on time, regardless of socioeconomic status. Less than 1% of students studying science at the largest university in Canada are black. The largest med school averages 1-3 black students in a class of 200. Some years there are none.

It's great that my parents lived on an island where they saw black people in all different walks of life. However the 20 years of oppression and racism I and others face growing up in Canada (or America) is very powerful.

There are a lot of psycho-social issues to understand. OP, I would love to read your research when you're done.

_____

Another note. Most Caribbean people are descendants of people who were enslaved.

I am African. It all goes back to the role models that have been a constant in your life. Growing up, all the doctors, lawyers, politicians, heck presidents i knew were all black. This has a profound psychological effect, albeit in an unconscious way. And you don't really realize it until you come to the US. I would have continued living my life knowing I was top of the top, as my mother constantly said lol. Then you come to the US and realize that there is a value placed on you because of your race, and that if you are black then that value is comparatively lower.
But personalities and self worth have already formed and that is why you find most Africans will do remarkably well in places that are 99% white. The microstress of being a minority is cancelled out by the knowledge that if worst comes to worst, you have a place that you can always go back to, to a people that will love you no matter what.

I also think having seen life at its absolute worst puts things in perspective for most Africans. I have walked through slums, where sewage literally flows in front of a person's house. Also you go to hospitals and see people die because of things like a TB or Malaria. And horrible sores in their mouths :eek:. So when you come to the US, a person who discriminates/is racist against you or you are the only black person etc - all these is small fish. There are worse things in life than people who look down on you based on your race, is what I'm trying to say. But remember this is the perspective of one African immigrant :)

But the reality is we are all black, yet our different cultures have a huge effect on the way we view life and how we are treated. Believe it or not, as African, people treat you different when you open your mouth and they hear the accent. Because they realize that you are not 'black' in the American understanding of the word. They become a lot nicer and warmer :wtf:. And some go the other direction - literally ignore you. I will admit I have never understood this.

Oh what a world.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I couldn't have said it better.

From my personal experience, I def see separation between the different ethnicities. The 1st gen carib kids were the ones doing their work, while the AA are the ones acting up, disrespecting the teachers, fighting,etc. My aunt would say its because they have everything handed to them and never have to work for anything, they dont appreciate what they have. Where my fam is from you have to pay for school, teenagers dont get cars as birthday gifts, no social programs, electricity 24/7, etc. You had to work for everything you needed.

Absence of "Chip on the shoulder".

From my personal experience, I def see separation between the different ethnicities. The 1st gen carib kids were the ones doing their work, while the AA are the ones acting up, disrespecting the teachers, fighting,etc. My aunt would say its because they have everything handed to them and never have to work for anything, they dont appreciate what they have. Where my fam is from you have to pay for school, teenagers dont get cars as birthday gifts, no social programs, electricity 24/7, etc. You had to work for everything you needed.

I noticed the same thing growing up. I am first generation American (parents are from the carib).

I much prefer Caribbean people...

Really? This sounds a bit ignorant and much more like a stereotype perpetuating division within the Black community. Last I checked, most African Americans ("Regular Blacks" if you will) have not had everything handed to them. I'm not sure where this view is coming from...

Introduce your aunt to google scholar.

This is so ludicrous I had to bump it. :laugh: Say what, now?

Really? This sounds a bit ignorant and much more like a stereotype perpetuating division within the Black community. Last I checked, most African Americans ("Regular Blacks" if you will) have not had everything handed to them. I'm not sure where this view is coming from...

You know, you're right. The idea that African Americans have had everything handed to them is absolutely ridiculous. But I'm not going to lie. From what I experienced , there are a lot of non-American Blacks with this train of thought. Its not so much that African Americans have had everything handed to them, its the thought that African Americans don't take advantage of the opportunity they have in America. An immigrant coming from a country that is not devloped as America may look upon the Blacks in this country and wonder: " What are they complaining about? Their education is free and accessible"

I don't agree with the statement that AA's have had everything handed to them. However, I do agree with the logic behind it. Everyone knows that any body that is successful had to work hard and put in tons of effort. But like Postal said, an immigrant from another country would think that everything is easier here. Where I'm from, there is absolutely no aid for education. If you are poor, you have to work your tail off to afford an education. Regardless of your grades, you still have to find a way to provide for yourself. Additionally, opportunities come rarely. You can dream big where I'm from but if you don't have money and connections, you go no where. In America though, you find the exact opposite. As long as you show determination and dedication to your school work you can get help in accomplishing your goals.

You know, you're right. The idea that African Americans have had everything handed to them is absolutely ridiculous. But I'm not going to lie. From what I experienced , there are a lot of non-American Blacks with this train of thought. Its not so much that African Americans have had everything handed to them, its the thought that African Americans don't take advantage of the opportunity they have in America. An immigrant coming from a country that is not devloped as America may look upon the Blacks in this country and wonder: " What are they complaining about? Their education is free and accessible"