Caribbean med sch and back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you couldn't afford finishing two years in the Caribbean, how do you plan on funding a post-bac/SMP followed by US med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you couldn't afford finishing two years in the Caribbean, how do you plan on funding a post-bac/SMP followed by US med school?

I paid out of pocket the whole two years and I was on a track scholarship in college so I will just use my loans.

Perhaps I'm misremembering, or just ignorant, but I feel like it is a huge detriment to an applicant when you have to check the box stating you've previously matriculated to medical school somewhere? And as @Goro likes to point out, it shows poor judgment to have gone there in the first place (instead of trying to improve and going the US route).

Have you already applied in the US? You'll be both a reapplicant AND someone who has already been accepted to AND attended medical school, which I'm pretty sure will have your application ignored, no matter what SMP/post-bacc work you do. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the reality.

Reactions: 1 users
At this point you have nothing, so you have nothing to lose, except for maybe a little time and money. If your scores are competitive send in applications and best of luck! Just be ready to explain why the Caribbean didn't work out.

As others have said your chances are slim to none, but if you don't apply they are definitely none.

Reactions: 1 user
I paid out of pocket the whole two years and I was on a track scholarship in college so I will just use my loans.
Can't Caribbean medical students use US federal/Stafford Loans, or no?

Either way, could you not have gotten some private loans to finish out those final two years on the island?

I wouldn't say you were crazy, but I do suspect you don't understand the magnitude of the vast odds against you. My honest suggestion would be that you go back and finish at the school where you started and then take your chances when it comes to trying to get a residency in the US, or else move on to some other career altogether. As others have said, no US school is going to be interested in taking someone who got halfway through an unaccredited Caribbean program and then dropped out, especially since the reason why you went to that school in the first place is because your app was too weak to get into a US school. Your kind of situation is exactly why so many of us recommend that people NOT try the Caribbean route, or at most, try it only as a Hail Mary/very last resort when all other avenues have failed.

Reactions: 1 user