caribbean med schools and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traumaMD

D O double C
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if you guys can tell me how difficult it is to get a residency in the US after attending a caribbean med school. Does everyone from the caribbean med schools who apply for US residency get positions?

Members don't see this ad.

caribbean med students have a hard time finding good residency programs...i knwo two people that went there and they're both in some small ass town working in family medicine...one girl likes it, but the other guy say he should have gone to a DO school instead...also, most residency programs in US don't rank caribbean grads high enough in their program...

Originally posted by traumaMD:
•i was just wondering if you guys can tell me how difficult it is to get a residency in the US after attending a caribbean med school. Does everyone from the caribbean med schools who apply for US residency get positions?•

Probably not. But then again, there are US students who don't get residencies either.

It is true that Caribbean graduates, like most IMGs, carry a stigma and many programs will not consider them for residency. However, with a good application, some wise applying and flexibility (where you want to live and do) you may do very well. No one will be able to tell you exactly how difficult it is, because it is based on your application, the programs you apply to and the specialty you apply to.

Best of luck.