Caribbean med student to derm resident.

Started by Dr.LX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean...that's your opinion? Lol and people are anti-Caribbean because they are prejudiced and have misinformation. I would tell my friends to pick the best school for them, not restrict them in terms of location. I did what was best for me, and I am happy I did it.
misinformation? the statistics from your school very clearly indicate that YOU are the one who is misinformed.
 
Once the two the derm programs list their new residents for the upcoming year all will be revealed. Assuming OP is who OP says they are.

Most likely the OP is a school administrator/salesman and not the accepted candidate. These salesmen get a bonus the more students enroll. After all it is a for-profit school. I knew a slew of carribbean grads who never matched and are now 200k in the hole. I don't see why the US allows this and no one has started a class-action law-suit. Threads like these can be used in such law-suit where mis-information is spread by the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Sardinia just out of curiosity, I saw you posted about having been a student at Ross before, but did not complete. Where do you find yourself now? If you do not want to discuss though, I understand.
 
@Sardinia just out of curiosity, I saw you posted about having been a student at Ross before, but did not complete. Where do you find yourself now? If you do not want to discuss, though I understand.
I went back to my old job as a paralegal. I have been working in the legal field since I was a child and it was a fall back option when I couldn't find employment after finishing my B.S. in Biochemistry.
 
There is no verified data. Just like there is no data showing whether students from one med school got admitted into another.
Also, there is a supposition that every med student wants to go into something other than primary care. A 95% match rate is something if most students get into what specialty they want to. Honestly you're coming across as someone that dismisses primary care as a useless match, which is rather offsetting.

This is coming from someone that said "only three matched into primary care" ........ you are dissing primary care just as much as the poster you replied to.

I don't feel like I'm the exception. I can't speak for every single student, but our match rate was extremely high. My entire lab group, of 12 people matched into excellent programs, only 3 into primary care.

Just because you're successful doesn't mean a majority will...... these Caribbean stereotypes exist for a reason because most people fall under it. I am risk averse and would never drink the kool aid you're trying to push.

Pre-meds out there, be weary of this snake oil salesman.
 
@gonnif If I'm not mistaken, the two dermatology spots were listed as being PGY-2 which means they were accepted into the residency program in 2015. We have yet to see the locations of the 2016 dermatology matches which was something the opening poster brought up a little while ago.
Your right, lets give him/her the benefit of the doubt and double that to 0.0276% success rate.
 
You are assuming that the OP is not a troll. I'm not. C'mon, what sane person would actually do this: "I was actually accepted to 2 M.D schools, but because money wasn't a factor for me, and I wanted a different experience, I chose Ross. It wasn't a "second choice" for me."
????


Unless, of course the "2 MD" were SGU and AUA, or other Carib diploma mills?


It's a telling sign though that a major mantra from older students was to keep your head down and not rock the boat. The fact that the OP took measures to make sure they couldn't be identified yet utilized the anonymity of the internet to grand stand their derm placement is probably the most demonstrative effect of how much abuse the school/social pressure stunted their emotional growth as they went into full gunner mode. There's also a degree of sterilization and apathy to the whole thing of going in anonymously to discuss a placement in derm. Although maybe that's perhaps due to not understanding how one could complete their four years without following a specialty of interest over a specialty of prestige when that is already prescribed to finishing school with an "MD".
 
You are assuming that the OP is not a troll. I'm not. C'mon, what sane person would actually do this: "I was actually accepted to 2 M.D schools, but because money wasn't a factor for me, and I wanted a different experience, I chose Ross. It wasn't a "second choice" for me."
????
If I didn't take the OP seriously I'd be down a Macbook. Let me at least choose areas of denial that would improve my QoL for the time being.
 
I know I wasn't the only person waiting for this 😛.

Too bad this guy found a buffet. I bet he's morbidly obese right now.

And boom http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...arib-ask-me-why-you-should-stay-away.1199038/

The problem is that this guy isn't a troll but a hired salesman by Caribbean medschools whose spreading misinformation. This is much more damaging than a troll and can cost some poor soul hundreds of thousands of dollars. SDN shouldn't allow these schools to advertise on SDN. They're like tobacco companies.
 
Guys stop responding to this thread. And start responding to the one about not going to the Caribbean. Let's let this one die out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On Studentdoc the Caribbean poses a "risk". In real life, it doesn't. I was actually accepted to 2 M.D schools, but because money wasn't a factor for me, and I wanted a different experience, I chose Ross. It wasn't a "second choice" for me. I studied hard like all med students, and most of my close friends got into competitive residencies. I lived in paradise for 2 years, and had a world class education for 4. I would advise premeds to do what they feel like they should.

I would say this right here is how you managed to match into derm. How many of your parents and relatives are physicians who helped you get interviews? Congratulations on your well-deserved success, but to come on here and suggest that your experience can be matched by the average medical student from the Caribbean is privileged and naive at best and dishonest and cruel at worst....
 
That really is your opinion that it was foolish! My classmates and I beg to differ 🙂

And that's your opinion! The great thing is that we all get our own🙂

Like I said over and over again: the less than 5% who haven't matched right now are looking for matches. Considering 94% of US students match the first time, i'll be counting over here🙂

Thank you for being sweet and polite! My step score was good, but not the best like what you would expect for derm. My class was very competitive, so even though I wasn't at the top, I still had a good academic record. I actually talked a lot about my decision to decline to go to a US medical school in my interviews. They were impressed that I enjoyed my time abroad, and I think that opened a lot of their minds to the fact that the Caribbean isn't a bad choice🙂

Good thing I'm not selling to you🙂 This is for pre-meds who want to learn more about different med schools. Not for someone that dismisses data and facts because they don't like them!

Oh btw : anyone who thinks I'm a troll is more than welcome to believe what they want🙂 One of the best qualities emphasized in my medical education is compassion and care. Some of those things are lacking in other programs I believe.

Feel free to be skeptic! It honestly doesn't affect me. 🙂

I mean I said earlier there was a 95% match rate. This is before the scramble. So I'm glad that future students will see what they're getting into🙂

This is kind of ridiculous now lol. Yeah give me an example of 1 out of thousands. You don't think people should get a degree in the Carib. I get it. I disagree, and am extremely proud of my future career 🙂

I'm really happy I started this thread. I have received messages from several pre-meds who have questions about Ross, but feel the environment on this forum is not conducive to discourse about Carib. schools. So thank you everyone who has responded, whether you were polite or not🙂

Where I come from it's impolite to discuss money 😉

Questions about the quality of medical school education at Ross.🙂

Absolutely!! If any pre-meds have questions make sure to get ALL the information. 🙂 Glad other members agree with me on this!

I'm too happy at my accomplishments to let someone bring me down🙂 Best of luck to you!

Hmmm... have to disagree there🙂

And you didn't answer how my grammar was strange! lol
And I disagree. But since you don't have any valid points, I guess it's a good thing you're ending the conversation. 🙂

Ahhh i'm sorry you are wrong 🙂 Although you probably don't believe me, and that's fine too.

Ross isn't the only med school that teaches it, but it teaches it very well🙂

On the contrary, several potential students have actually messaged me about Ross. I think when people get both sides of a subject, they become more interested. So thanks for that! You've helped others see Ross in the positive light it should be in🙂

May I ask how? I'm really 100% sure you don't. I made sure my name would not be accessible before I came on here🙂

STOP! You're going against the SDN people by saying something good about the Caribbean. 😉They want you to think we all end up in the middle of Montana.

I wasn't addressing you in the previous comment, and because I don't think we are able to have a polite conversation without you accusing me of something or belittling my success, I'm going to wish you the best in whatever you do. 🙂

If you think this is a joke, there is a button that says ignore🙂 I tried to end this thread a long time ago, but people have questions. And I think it's fair that they get both sides, instead of the "I hate the Carib, you're going to practice FM in Oklahoma" side. 🙂 Best to you.

So everyone, i'm out of this thread for good. I really do hope everyone has a successful medical journey, and truly wish you all the best of luck. 🙂
Final quote suggests troll. Classic move. Stir up controversy and argument's and then take his leave. You could tell when he responded to someone's quote with nothing but an emoji, and he asked if they couldn't type properly, yet look at all these smiley faces. Lol
 
Final quote suggests troll. Classic move. Stir up controversy and argument's and then take his leave. You could tell when he responded to someone's quote with nothing but an emoji, and he asked if they couldn't type properly, yet look at all these smiley faces. Lol

Then stop feeding the troll. Yeah the troll contributed to this mess,but we just keep coming back and saying our piece, and it brings more attention to the whole thing.
 
You figure 2016 would be a perfect time to "recruit" prospective premeds over to the Caribbeans when the fully implemented single accreditation system kicks in 2020. Just saying...
 
Hello guys! So my first account got suspended:
1) I guess I am a troll- i'm completing my Ph.D in Psychology, and a small part of my thesis is "how trolling affects online communities"
2) I dislike Carib schools- cousin went to one, yeah she got a residency, but not the one she wanted
3) Any potential pre-med that messaged me, I directed them to forums about why the Carib is not the best
4)Thanks for everyone that responded.I know you guys hated me, but I got some good stuff for my paper.
5) Especially the ones that were die-hard about Carib schools- you're doing pre-meds a service there.
I know you guys hate me, but best! And Thanks.
 
Hello guys! So my first account got suspended:
1) I guess I am a troll- i'm completing my Ph.D in Psychology, and a small part of my thesis is "how trolling affects online communities"
2) I dislike Carib schools- cousin went to one, yeah she got a residency, but not the one she wanted
3) Any potential pre-med that messaged me, I directed them to forums about why the Carib is not the best
4)Thanks for everyone that responded.I know you guys hated me, but I got some good stuff for my paper.
5) Especially the ones that were die-hard about Carib schools- you're doing pre-meds a service there.
I know you guys hate me, but best! And Thanks.

lol what. If true...great job.
 
Hello guys! So my first account got suspended:
1) I guess I am a troll- i'm completing my Ph.D in Psychology, and a small part of my thesis is "how trolling affects online communities"
2) I dislike Carib schools- cousin went to one, yeah she got a residency, but not the one she wanted
3) Any potential pre-med that messaged me, I directed them to forums about why the Carib is not the best
4)Thanks for everyone that responded.I know you guys hated me, but I got some good stuff for my paper.
5) Especially the ones that were die-hard about Carib schools- you're doing pre-meds a service there.
I know you guys hate me, but best! And Thanks.


W
 
Hello guys! So my first account got suspended:
1) I guess I am a troll- i'm completing my Ph.D in Psychology, and a small part of my thesis is "how trolling affects online communities"
2) I dislike Carib schools- cousin went to one, yeah she got a residency, but not the one she wanted
3) Any potential pre-med that messaged me, I directed them to forums about why the Carib is not the best
4)Thanks for everyone that responded.I know you guys hated me, but I got some good stuff for my paper.
5) Especially the ones that were die-hard about Carib schools- you're doing pre-meds a service there.
I know you guys hate me, but best! And Thanks.

If true, I would really like to see this dissertation.
 
Hello guys! So my first account got suspended:
1) I guess I am a troll- i'm completing my Ph.D in Psychology, and a small part of my thesis is "how trolling affects online communities"
2) I dislike Carib schools- cousin went to one, yeah she got a residency, but not the one she wanted
3) Any potential pre-med that messaged me, I directed them to forums about why the Carib is not the best
4)Thanks for everyone that responded.I know you guys hated me, but I got some good stuff for my paper.
5) Especially the ones that were die-hard about Carib schools- you're doing pre-meds a service there.
I know you guys hate me, but best! And Thanks.

I am so tempted to report you to the ethics board for your "research"

What you've done could have posed a serious risk to people's futures and had the potential to negatively impact the lives of many naive but well-intentioned students.

2/10 troll job, please gtfo.
 
I am so tempted to report you to the ethics board for your "research"

What you've done could have posed a serious risk to people's futures and had the potential to negatively impact the lives of many naive but well-intentioned students.

2/10 troll job, please gtfo.
A) Any potential med student that made up their mind in this one thread to go to the Carib. does not deserve to be a physician, if their mind is that easily swayed.
And B) My dissertation was already approved by my ethics board because they couldn't see how saying an "opinion" would harm anyone else. If someone is this naive the truth is harsh, but it's that maybe you should consider another field.
C)Dude, don't threaten me about my work please.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello guys! So my first account got suspended:
1) I guess I am a troll- i'm completing my Ph.D in Psychology, and a small part of my thesis is "how trolling affects online communities"
2) I dislike Carib schools- cousin went to one, yeah she got a residency, but not the one she wanted
3) Any potential pre-med that messaged me, I directed them to forums about why the Carib is not the best
4)Thanks for everyone that responded.I know you guys hated me, but I got some good stuff for my paper.
5) Especially the ones that were die-hard about Carib schools- you're doing pre-meds a service there.
I know you guys hate me, but best! And Thanks.

I am a former US military intelligence officer, now a medical student. One of the ways that Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden were outed and identified was by matching language, sentence structure and word choice between anonymous and identified posts. These clearly do not match. While I hope this is true and you were just trolling, I do not believe this at all. This thread is harmful and I really hope no pre-meds actually believe the Caribbean Kool-Aid spouted here.
 
I am a former US military intelligence officer, now a medical student. One of the ways that Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden were outed and identified was by matching language, sentence structure and word choice between anonymous and identified posts. These clearly do not match. While I hope this is true and you were just trolling, I do not believe this at all. This thread is harmful and I really hope no pre-meds actually believe the Caribbean Kool-Aid spouted here.

Lmao okay? Mr. Military Officer, why would I have even made this new account then?.....I"m required by my board to disclose this. Also, I don't really care if you don't believe this, it doesn't really affect me.
 
Lmao okay? Mr. Military Officer, why would I have even made this new account then?.....I"m required by my board to disclose this. Also, I don't really care if you don't believe this, it doesn't really affect me.
Also...any pre-meds that made up their mind about attending a Carib. University simply because of this thread need to consider if they can become a physician. They are going to get conflicting reports when they are doctors, and if one report can skew their mind, I hope they're not my doctor.
 
ppl intentionally make threads like this bc they know they are going to get reactions..they are bored and want attention.... we can see right through this. of course you would make a thread about a caribbean grad matching into derm on SDN of all places....LOL do you think we are fools? *don't feed the troll*
 
Lmao okay? Mr. Military Officer, why would I have even made this new account then?.....I"m required by my board to disclose this. Also, I don't really care if you don't believe this, it doesn't really affect me.
Lol, first of all, if you are the OP, you are misgendering me, something the OP clearly had an issue with. Secondly, a lot of people who are motivated to direct students away from the misinformation spread here could EASILY have made a new burner account, claim to be the OP, and admit to be trolling.

Again, I do hope you are the OP, or that the OP is just a troll. I just do not believe it based on the evidence.
 
I am a former US military intelligence officer, now a medical student. One of the ways that Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden were outed and identified was by matching language, sentence structure and word choice between anonymous and identified posts. These clearly do not match. While I hope this is true and you were just trolling, I do not believe this at all. This thread is harmful and I really hope no pre-meds actually believe the Caribbean Kool-Aid spouted here.

Yeeeeeeeah there's definitely still something weird about the whole situation. Someone- maybe two someones getting their jollies for...who knows.
For one, it does not say on the original poster's thumbnail that the account is suspended, on hold, or banned.
For two, why would one need to start a troll thread oneself to show how trolls affect online communities?
For three, why choose SDN and that topic over...I don't know, reddit, 4chan, etc?

*Edit * Versus just watching an another troll situation play out, I mean.
 
Lol, first of all, if you are the OP, you are misgendering me, something the OP clearly had an issue with. Secondly, a lot of people who are motivated to direct students away from the misinformation spread here could EASILY have made a new burner account, claim to be the OP, and admit to be trolling.

Again, I do hope you are the OP, or that the OP is just a troll. I just do not believe it based on the evidence.

The fact that he got approval to do trolling on a site shows how trash his "research" is. No legit research even in the social science circles would stoop to something like this.

Probably some low tier for profit PhD mill. I hear there are plenty in the US catering to people's desire for attaining an advanced degree.

Man this really supports the notion that even PhD candidates/ PhDs can be absolutely *****ic.
 
Where are the admins?

image.jpeg
 
What does it mean to have insufficient privileges? That's what happened when I tried to use my original account....
 
@gonnif If I'm not mistaken, the two dermatology spots were listed as being PGY-2 which means they were accepted into the residency program in 2015. We have yet to see the locations of the 2016 dermatology matches which was something the opening poster brought up a little while ago.

Nah, someone can match into a PGY-2 spot in 2016 that does not start until 2017. Presumably that individual will simultaneously match into a PGY-1 intern year that runs from 2016-2017.

Ross's website lists its two derm placements as PGY-2 positions at SUNY HSC Brooklyn (i.e. Downstate) and GWU. Someone really diligent/stalkery could check the resident rosters at those two places in 2017 and see who the Ross grads are. I do not believe either of them is the OP.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.