Caribbean Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kodyfied

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm thinking about applying to 1 or 2 Caribbean medical schools as back up. I know there are several out there, and I was wondering which ones were the best. I'm currently in the process of doing some research on them. Is there a site where I could get really useful information about them, such as rankings? Also, do these schools have application deadlines? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I'm thinking about applying to 1 or 2 Caribbean medical schools as back up. I know there are several out there, and I was wondering which ones were the best. I'm currently in the process of doing some research on them. Is there a site where I could get really useful information about them, such as rankings? Also, do these schools have application deadlines? Thanks.

There is a caribbean board on SDN where folks could probably answer your questions better than here. I believe the bigger names in caribbean med schools are Ross, Saba, SGU and AUC. My personal view is that it often benefits people to try and improve their stats/scores for a year or two first to get in stateside before they pull the trigger on offshore options, as the year or two it takes to improve stats tends not to be significant in a 45 year career. Good luck.

There is a caribbean board on SDN where folks could probably answer your questions better than here. I believe the bigger names in caribbean med schools are Ross, Saba, SGU and AUC. My personal view is that it often benefits people to try and improve their stats/scores for a year or two first to get in stateside before they pull the trigger on offshore options, as the year or two it takes to improve stats tends not to be significant in a 45 year career. Good luck.

Carribean is more expensive, with fewer instructors and larger class sizes. I am also considering it as a last resort, but I would suggest comparing the cost of attending a US school for 4 years to a Carribean school for 9 trimesters, and factoring into your spreadsheet the expected compounded interest (higher for SABA b/c it's not eligible for staffords) for 3 to 5 years of residency + starting off time. Now look at the total numbers. This is ignoring the fact that as an IMG you will be starting off at a lower salary. Now I am not one to consider finances as a serious motivation for going into medicine, but the difference is eye-opening. Paying more for a worse education feels so wrong... lol

Members don't see this ad :)

TWO things to say here:
I think go to SGU or the AUC if you can get in. After all, if you waste 2 years trying to get accepted to U.S. schools and don't get in you would have already been in CLINICAL rotations in the U.S. by the time you started medical school. Unless you have an MCAT of 27 or above, I'd go to the SGU, AUC or even consider D.O.

AND the second:
There is no difference in starting salary for someone coming from the BIG 4 in the Carribean. They took the same tests, passed them, and competed in residency and became 100% U.S. liscensed physicians. Your school is not even a question after residency placement and getting your liscence. There is also a shortage of physicians so newbies from India that are practicing in plastics for example are easily making 7 figures if they wish to. Also, an education at the BIG 4 is not a worse education compared to the states. Harvard Calibar? Probably not... University of Kansas-City Missouri or Ponce? Probably Better. I actually knew someone that tried to transfer to another U.S. school and got rejected while a SGU student transfered there that same year. Just goes to show...

definately think about going to D.O schools over the carribean. It is absolutely foolish to consider going to the carribean over D.O schools. D.O schools have smaller class sizes, better professors, you can match into ANY residency (M.D or D.O). You can work in all 50 states, no questions asked. By going to the carribean, you have to worry about making sure ALL clinical rotations are ACGME approved, lot more red tape, some states are very hard to get licenses to practice in, on and on and on.... try to get into an M.D school in the U.S.. if not then go D.O.... and if that doesnt work out..and you absolutely want to be a doctor..THEN go carribean....my two cents...

peace

TWO things to say here:
I think go to SGU or the AUC if you can get in. After all, if you waste 2 years trying to get accepted to U.S. schools and don't get in you would have already been in CLINICAL rotations in the U.S. by the time you started medical school. Unless you have an MCAT of 27 or above, I'd go to the SGU, AUC or even consider D.O.

AND the second:
There is no difference in starting salary for someone coming from the BIG 4 in the Carribean. They took the same tests, passed them, and competed in residency and became 100% U.S. liscensed physicians. Your school is not even a question after residency placement and getting your liscence. There is also a shortage of physicians so newbies from India that are practicing in plastics for example are easily making 7 figures if they wish to. Also, an education at the BIG 4 is not a worse education compared to the states. Harvard Calibar? Probably not... University of Kansas-City Missouri or Ponce? Probably Better. I actually knew someone that tried to transfer to another U.S. school and got rejected while a SGU student transfered there that same year. Just goes to show...

I agree with most of the above statement, however, I feel that Ross and SGU are the two bets Carribean medical schools and one should look at those two rather than SGU or AUC in order to be given the most opportunities possible as far as Carribean is concerned. Additionally, DO schools are also another good route, but many people I know have pride issues and cannot fathom having DO after their name rather than MD. Therefore, you must also ask yourself if this is a problem you have. Many DO's are now being placed in a competitive residency just as Carribean grads are. The problem I believe lies in the recruitment of patients. I personally know of many people that will not go to a D.O. based on the fact that they don't even know what that stands for...that is where the M.D. after the name plays a role. Call it general ignorance or what have you, but I believe that as more and more DOs are seen it will change. Take care and good luck.

I am starting medical school in the fall in the US but am living in Grenada (where SGU is located) with my fiance who is in the vetrinary program. (I'm taking a year off.) Our roommate is in the medical program. I have been very impressed with the medical program down here. Most motivated students score very highly on their Step 1, largely because the professors teach you specifically whats going to be on the test as they are aware their students will have something to prove. The classes are also taught "semester-long" rather than in "short blocks" so you can integrate what you are learning in different subject areas (biochem, histo, etc).

Some other things to consider... Grenada is an isolated island. Sometimes we go to the grocery store and can't by bread because they ran out and there isn't another shipment until Friday. Without TV and internet in the dorms, life can get very boring. Calling home is very expensive as is rent, groceries, going out and basically being alive. However, the students are all look out for one another and you get used to all the hassles. Not to mention when you do get a break the island is unbelievably beautiful and fun! (www.sgu.edu)

In short, if you can't get into school in the US, seriously consider SGU. Also I have heard good things about Ross. And to answer an originally posted question, I'm not sure about due dates on the application, but things are pretty flexible. My fiance turned his app in late second semester, interviewed in the summer, got accepted July 23 and started August 15.

-Hope this helps!

The problem I believe lies in the recruitment of patients. I personally know of many people that will not go to a D.O. based on the fact that they don't even know what that stands for...that is where the M.D. after the name plays a role. Call it general ignorance or what have you, but I believe that as more and more DOs are seen it will change. Take care and good luck.

Perhaps some people would make this kind of poorly informed choice, but it is my general impression that patients usually don't know and don't give a hoot whether you are an MD or DO; they just want to be treated well and conveniently. If you go to a busy ER and get treated, you don't even know most of the time what degree they have until you receive the doctor's bill. If you choose a primary care physician in a provider listing, the degree will likely be present on the listing, but most people choose based on convenience and word of mouth recommendation rather than on degree. I'm sure there are people who just refuse to go to a DO based on ignorance, but I don't think this is the usual thing. I've never heard of a DO wanting for patients any more than an MD in a similar practice. Probably depends a little on location though.

Perhaps some people would make this kind of poorly informed choice, but it is my general impression that patients usually don't know and don't give a hoot whether you are an MD or DO; they just want to be treated well and conveniently. If you go to a busy ER and get treated, you don't even know most of the time what degree they have until you receive the doctor's bill. If you choose a primary care physician in a provider listing, the degree will likely be present on the listing, but most people choose based on convenience and word of mouth recommendation rather than on degree. I'm sure there are people who just refuse to go to a DO based on ignorance, but I don't think this is the usual thing. I've never heard of a DO wanting for patients any more than an MD in a similar practice. Probably depends a little on location though.
Ditto.I have shadowed D.O. and M.D. and some r great and some suck on both sides.Basically they r the same except D.O. does OMM,which a lot don't do b/c it takes too much time.People don't hear about D.O much,b/c when u hear doctor u immediately think m.d. however that is changing,as more schools b/c available in different regions of the U.S.

Ditto.I have shadowed D.O. and M.D. and some r great and some suck on both sides.Basically they r the same except D.O. does OMM,which a lot don't do b/c it takes too much time.People don't hear about D.O much,b/c when u hear doctor u immediately think m.d. however that is changing,as more schools b/c available in different regions of the U.S.

yes and let's not forget that the doctor=MD connotation is why foreign grads with MBBS degrees are legally allowed to present themselves as MDs over here. (and that's a pretty massive chunk of the primary care docs in my area)