Caribbean Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st.exupery

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any feedback on which schools in the Caribbean are relatively good?

Or any word on the school in Guadalajara? (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara).

It's been difficult for me to get non-biased information.

Members don't see this ad.

My pre-med Advisor told me to apply to SGU and Ross if i ever decide to apply to a caribbean school. These 2 schools have clinical settings in the USA that will increase your chances of getting residency position in the US. Plus they teach all their courses in English, and you can easily obtain loans to go there.

Ross U. came to my school and did a presentation to our pre-med seminar group. They seemed like a pretty good school, with lots of high-tech resources and all the stuff that gildas mentioned above.

Members don't see this ad :)
st.exupery said:
Anyone have any feedback on which schools in the Caribbean are relatively good?

Or any word on the school in Guadalajara? (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara).

It's been difficult for me to get non-biased information.

If you want to apply to the Caribbean, you need to look at all the schools and see what you are looking for. What kind of lifestyle you want while you are on the island, see what residencies the students are placed in, USMLE scores, how long the schools have been there, etc.

Ross, AUC, and SGU are some of the big names. If want a lifestyle that is going to be similar to what you have now, I hear AUC is the way to go. I am not trying to start anything with this, but from what I heard most of the other islands the electricity and water are not as dependable. But AUC has conditions that are most similar to the U.S (not the same, still have some power outages and things like that). I don't know how to what extent these problems are or anything. But I have heard that is why a lot of people choose AUC.

I've sort of been through this last year.

1. Ross is a "factory" school and its definately sink or swim. The profs all suck and if you can't make the cut, you fail. Something like 300+ start and only a fraction make it to sit for step 1. Also when applying for residency, you will be a FMG and ROSS does nothing to help you place into a program. Be careful about ROSS and I'd forget about all the other schools out there (except for maybe SGU).

2. A coworker of mine "graduated" from UAG. He's forty (started med school in his 20's and kept getting "diverted") and still not in residency. He was working as a labrat on clinical trials... I would not recommend this school at all. Plus its in spanish, exams, patients and all.

3. Plus, all these foreign programs are equally as expensive if not more than acredited US programs.

I would not have said this a year ago, but I will today, If MD is totally out of the question in the US then do DO.

I did tons of research, and in the end applied to just one school as I felt it was the perfect fit for me - AUC (starting in 27 days. :eek: ) However, different people have different priorities, so I can't say what's right for you.

I can say that I only considered the 4 schools that have California approval and offer licensure in all 50 states. Those schools are AUC, Ross, Saba, and SGU. All do clinical rotations in the US.

You should look at the forums at valuemd.com which is where most Caribbean students post.

Good luck!