CaRMS matches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canucker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Any news regarding Canadians at Australian schools participating in CaRMS this year? Were there any matches from Australian schools?

Cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad.

canucker said:
Hey,

Any news regarding Canadians at Australian schools participating in CaRMS this year? Were there any matches from Australian schools?

Cheers, canucker

I have know of at least 2 from USyd. One was in Family Practice and the other in Ortho. I have heard rumours there were others but I am not sure of those. No clue how many actually went through the full match process, as every year more people talk about doing it than actually fulfill all the necessary requirements.

Hey guys,

any more info on this?

Also, as a canadian citizen in australia coming back to canada, am i considered an IMG?

As far as I know, we can participate in 1rst round CarMS matching as canadian citizens....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
As an Australian graduate you are considered and IMG. Doesn't matter that you are a Canadian citizen.....still an IMG as for as CARMS is concerned.
Check www.carms.ca for the most up to date info regarding matching as an IMG. This year (ie 2007 match) they have changed the system a bit so that in some provinces (Maritimes, NFLD, Quebec, Ontario, BC) IMG's will compete for dedicated spots reserved for IMG's. Majority of them are FM and some internal med. Return of service committment is required though. Alberta and Sask. are not offering 1st round spots through carms. Manitoba is an open match where you compete directly with Canadian grads. The second round will be open to all and will have all the left over spots.
It sounds great, "IMG's in the 1st round"....but when you look deeper into it not much has changed and if anything things might have gotten worse!
Best of luck......

AFMC MOTION
Since Canadian medical schools are the principal source of the physician workforce for Canada

Be it resolved by the AFMC Board of Directors:

That all graduates of Canadian medical schools be assured access to a residency position in Canada to complete training necessary to enter practice,

That access to postgraduate training organized by the Residency Match in Canada be through a defined and transparent process for eligible graduates of LCME/CACMS accredited medical schools and also for eligible graduates of international medical schools,

That these processes must be defined by July 1 of the calendar year to ensure proper implementation can occur,

That we affirm that eligibility for a postgraduate training program is determined by each Canadian medical school,

That participation in the first iteration of the Canadian Residency Match be restricted to eligible graduates of LCME/CACMS accredited schools or international medical schools, who have had no previous RCPSC/CFPC/ACGME accredited postgraduate training.

Approved by AFMC Board, May 2nd, 2006.
London, Ontario

Guess Im headed to the US after Syndey for Medicine residency in a nice position.... Canada sucks...