Carolinas Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snacker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVED CMC, but had a couple of concerns:

1) During PGY-1 year, your ED months consist primarily of "Fast Track" shifts.

2) You seem to do so much more off-service stuff than anywhere else, eg:
A complete month of each of the following:
OB/GYN
Medicine Wards
Peds Wards
Trauma Surgery
General Surgery
Ortho

Anybody else concerned about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine a current resident or young attending may be the best source for you.

As a 4th yr going into EM, I don't see how a month of peds or medicine makes me a better EM doc, particularly when time is prescious and I see critical care months as being higher yield, as far as off service rotations go. I have not heard a compelling argument for peds/med floor months. I sense that it is political at times.

Curious to hear what others have to say.

My ADHD appears to be in full force. Regarding your first point, I have heard current residents at several programs complain that they don't get any urgent care/fast track. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting some exposure to that aspect of EM during my residency, just not too much.

Finally, my thoughts are not specific to Carolinas. I didn't even apply there. But their rep certainly is top notch.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to remember that out in the community, 90% (or more) will be "fast-track" type patients. You don't make your living on the trauma codes or extremely sick medical patients, even though we still need to know how to manage them. With that being said, Carolinas is a fantastic program with everything one could want in a program. All of the 3rd years that I spoke with said that they feel extremely confident handling all types of patients in all settings. BTW, I plan on ranking it very high, if not number one.

Koko said:
I imagine a current resident or young attending may be the best source for you.

As a 4th yr going into EM, I don't see how a month of peds or medicine makes me a better EM doc, particularly when time is prescious and I see critical care months as being higher yield, as far as off service rotations go. I have not heard a compelling argument for peds/med floor months. I sense that it is political at times.

Curious to hear what others have to say.

Most IM programs I know do EM months, I guess only fair to do a month of 'theirs' ahah. I see your point about critical care months being higher yield, but I think since you do admit to general internal medicine a lot, doing a few rotations on their side will make you better at knowing how they look at patients...

i loved CMC as well and they are definitely in my top 3...i was a little worried about so many months of offservice rotations (mostly because i hate call), but i liked the program SOOO much that it hasn't effected my ROL!!! my biggest concern at the time was the PAPER CHARTS!! they said that the hospital is in no hurry to change to electronic medical records and i have never worked in a system that still had paper charts...still not enough to change my mind though :) the place rocks!!!

I guess I think they've got a balanced curriculum. I know there grads are well trained (I've worked with one) so I don't think the off-service/fast track time hurts them.

It looks like I'm one of the many that loved that program! :( We'll see what match day brings...

Thanks for the thoughts... I'm just curious as well- what kind of reputation does CMC have from where all of you are from? My PD considers it a "top-5" program.

Also, anybody out there gotten any "good vibes" from Dr Hays or anyone else from CMC? Nothing here.

top 5 as far as i have heard as well (im on the west coast) and no love from dr. hays here... :(

I got an email from Dr. Isenhour basically asking me if I had any questions. Unfortunately, she did not go beyond that. I think CMC is one of those programs that dosen't recruit heavily. They know they're awesome, and that they will get who they want.

I doint think any of the top tier places (I wont compile a list :)) "recruit" they know their program sells itself.

EctopicFetus said:
I doint think any of the top tier places (I wont compile a list :)) "recruit" they know their program sells itself.

Whats this carolinas...never heard of 'em, can't be that good.

i think i am spending WAY too much time on this site...i had a dream last night that i matched at carolinas but i was sort of pissed cause they were not my first choice :laugh: all this waiting is making me CRAZY :D !!!