Carribean Grade forgiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sh5678

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools in the carribean practice grade forgiveness? Im specifically asking about AUC, SGU, AUA, Ross, and Saba?

I currently have a 3.28 gpa but with grade forgiveness and a 505 mcat (planning to retake maybe) so I am trying to see which schools I have a decent chance of getting into.

Members don't see this ad.

Sgu does grade forgiveness, only if you retook the classes at the same institution. None of the others on your list do.

Which schools in the carribean practice grade forgiveness? Im specifically asking about AUC, SGU, AUA, Ross, and Saba?

I currently have a 3.28 gpa but with grade forgiveness and a 505 mcat (planning to retake maybe) so I am trying to see which schools I have a decent chance of getting into.

AUA reviews the GPA as printed on the transcript, but the committee also receives all transcripts and will ask why courses were repeated especially pre-requisite courses. An MCAT isn't required for consideration into AUA but the 505 will help show you've overcome any academic deficits, it's also in the range for our Dean's award. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Grade forgiveness" in the Caribbean? That seems redundant.

-Skip

Reactions: 4 users

With a 505 mcat you will literally get into any carib school you apply to and most of them will give you scholarship money.

With a 505 mcat you will literally get into any carib school you apply to and most of them will give you scholarship money.
really? i thought it was on the low end since my gpa is pretty low, i was aiming for a 512, was getting 509 510s on the practice but kinda panicked at the real test and hence the 505. without grade forgiveness, my gpa is like a a 3.1. Ideally, I want to get into sgu or auc so thats why i was rethinking taking the mcat in april before i apply in june

really? i thought it was on the low end since my gpa is pretty low, i was aiming for a 512, was getting 509 510s on the practice but kinda panicked at the real test and hence the 505. without grade forgiveness, my gpa is like a a 3.1. Ideally, I want to get into sgu or auc so thats why i was rethinking taking the mcat in april before i apply in june

My friends in AUC liked it there, don't know about SGU though but there's a lot of vlogs on youtube of SGU students.

Scholarship money from the Caribbean? [Citation needed].

This is what you said (my underlined bolding for emphasis...)

You were then challenged, to which you replied:

sure, ok.

Ross starts giving scholarships to applicants with at least a 490 MCAT

Opportunity Scholarship

Okay, I think you know this is b.s.

"Most" Caribbean schools will NOT give you scholarship money, contrary to what you said. And, I think it is implicitly understood that the "Opportunity Scholarship" (which is a single program at a single school, not "most" Carib schools) is for so-called underrepresented minorities going into medicine who otherwise would not have an opportunity to study medicine. Their first semester, which I would be the last person to shirk at, tuition is "forgiven". They are responsible for the rest of it, including if they fail, have to repeat, etc.

To suggest otherwise, namely that such scholarship programs are widely available and gifted generously by "most" of these schools to the majority of the students, is disingenuous. And, you know it (or at least should).

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Go USA med. school

Reactions: 3 users

You'd be perfectly fine with your GPA and MCAT if you apply broadly DO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

"Most" Caribbean schools will NOT give you scholarship money, contrary to what you said. And, I think it is implicitly understood that the "Opportunity Scholarship" (which is a single program at a single school, not "most" Carib schools) is for so-called underrepresented minorities going into medicine who otherwise would not have an opportunity to study medicine. Their first semester, which I would be the last person to shirk at, tuition is "forgiven". They are responsible for the rest of it, including if they fail, have to repeat, etc.

To suggest otherwise, namely that such scholarship programs are widely available and gifted generously by "most" of these schools to the majority of the students, is disingenuous. And, you know it (or at least should).

-Skip

You are seriously the most argumentative person I have ever had the displeasure of interacting with.

The opportunity scholarship is MERIT based. Not for "underrepresented minorities."

Ross also has these other MERIT based scholarships:
Deans- MCAT starting at 500
Dean’s Academic Merit Scholarship

Chancellors- MCAT starting at 505
Chancellor's Academic Achievement Award

Almost ALL of the Carib schools have MERIT based scholarships

SGU:

SGU has a Chancellors too- MCAT starting at 506
Medical School Scholarships, Loans and Tuition Information at St. George's University

AUA:
AUA scholarships- Deans scholarships starts at 505 MCAT
Scholarships – American University of Antigua – Med School

AUC:
AUC scholarships- Merit based scholarships start at MCAT 500+
AUC - American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine

above a 505 MCAT

above a 510 and you get a free term AUTOMATICALLY

You can look up the rest of the schools yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well damn
You are seriously the most argumentative person I have ever had the displeasure of interacting with.

The opportunity scholarship is MERIT based. Not for "underrepresented minorities."

Ross also has these other MERIT based scholarships:
Deans- MCAT starting at 500
Dean’s Academic Merit Scholarship

Chancellors- MCAT starting at 505
Chancellor's Academic Achievement Award

Almost ALL of the Carib schools have MERIT based scholarships

SGU:

SGU has a Chancellors too- MCAT starting at 506
Medical School Scholarships, Loans and Tuition Information at St. George's University

AUA:
AUA scholarships- Deans scholarships starts at 505 MCAT
Scholarships – American University of Antigua – Med School

AUC:
AUC scholarships- Merit based scholarships start at MCAT 500+

above a 505 MCAT

above a 510 and you get a free term AUTOMATICALLY

You can look up the rest of the schools yourself.
Based on my 2.8 and 501 mcat I should’ve qualified for like 3 of those. WHERES MY MONEY ROSS.

Well damn

Based on my 2.8 and 501 mcat I should’ve qualified for like 3 of those. WHERES MY MONEY ROSS.

Ask your admissions person. Tell them you are considering other schools like AUA/AUC/SABA/Etc.

Your GPA is low so they may say you dont fully qualify, but if they think you are a serious potential student and you can get federal loans, I bet they'll give you a couple thousand dollars at least.

Haha "underrepresented minorities".... majority of the people in the school are Brown or Asian. I guess caucasians would be considered minorities

You point to the opportunity scholarship at Ross, which is clearly designed to provide an “opportunity” for someone who otherwise might not have a chance to go to medical school (i.e. URMwith low scores). Then, you point to a bunch of other merit-based scholarships that exist only to attract otherwise highly qualified applicants who probably could get into a U.S. school... just to bolster your fallacious argument.

Me argumentative? You’re just tiresome. And mostly (and often) wrong.

So, why don’t you do this: provide us a list of how much scholarship money these schools have provided, “Dr.” former DeVry Consultant whose confidentiality agreement has expired and graduated from a top-10 medical school but for some reason continues to slum it on a Caribbean forum. I’m sure you still have this somewhere in your extensive files, right?

-Skip

Your grades are plenty fine for some DO. Just make sure your ECs are up to par and youll be good my friend

You point to the opportunity scholarship at Ross, which is clearly designed to provide an “opportunity” for someone who otherwise might not have a chance to go to medical school (i.e. URMwith low scores). Then, you point to a bunch of other merit-based scholarships that exist only to attract otherwise highly qualified applicants who probably could get into a U.S. school... just to bolster your fallacious argument.

Me argumentative? You’re just tiresome. And mostly (and often) wrong.

So, why don’t you do this: provide us a list of how much scholarship money these schools have provided, “Dr.” former DeVry Consultant whose confidentiality agreement has expired and graduated from a top-10 medical school but for some reason continues to slum it on a Caribbean forum. I’m sure you still have this somewhere in your extensive files, right?

-Skip

I've said this before, but your obsession with me is borderline unhealthy.

500 MCAT and 3.5 GPA is not "highly qualified" and those applicants are likely not even getting into DO schools, let alone UD MD schools. The scholarship money given by Caribbean schools is used to lure students. It gives the student a false sense of confidence ("not only did I get in, I got a scholarship!") and can "seal the deal" with students who are on the fence about going the Carib route. I cannot fathom why you would argue about scholarship awards that are not only published publicly (with specific eligibility requirements), but are also used in marketing. This isn't some deep dark secret I am sharing. Anyone who has done even a cursory research about Carib schools would know about this...

Also, just google it. All the schools brag about how much money they give in scholarships...
Twenty-Eight St. George's University Medical Students Awarded Merit Scholarships

I've said this before, but your obsession with me is borderline unhealthy.

500 MCAT and 3.5 GPA is not "highly qualified" and those applicants are likely not even getting into DO schools, let alone UD MD schools. The scholarship money given by Caribbean schools is used to lure students. It gives the student a false sense of confidence ("not only did I get in, I got a scholarship!") and can "seal the deal" with students who are on the fence about going the Carib route. I cannot fathom why you would argue about scholarship awards that are not only published publicly (with specific eligibility requirements), but are also used in marketing. This isn't some deep dark secret I am sharing. Anyone who has done even a cursory research about Carib schools would know about this...

Also, just google it. All the schools brag about how much money they give in scholarships...
Twenty-Eight St. George's University Medical Students Awarded Merit Scholarships
For this current cycle I've seen ORMs getting in DO schools with MCAT as low as 496 (especially the new DOs). Check this thread if you don't believe me
Acceptance Stats DO Class of 2022

I'm a URM and I got accepted to two DO schools with MCAT 499 and 3.7 GPA. Also, I had a whopping 12 DO IIs (only attended 5 of them) out of the 25 schools I applied to. I, myself, was very surprised by all these love I was getting because it's not like I only took the MCAT once, but 5 times (18, 487, 492, 500, 499). I thought I was going Caribbean as well, and I even applied and got accepted to SGU, but I guess the universe had other plans for me.

Lol at the people who go to sgu with a 3.7...

Reactions: 6 users
For this current cycle I've seen ORMs getting in DO schools with MCAT as low as 496 (especially the new DOs). Check this thread if you don't believe me
Acceptance Stats DO Class of 2022

I'm a URM and I got accepted to two DO schools with MCAT 499 and 3.7 GPA. Also, I had a whopping 12 DO IIs (only attended 5 of them) out of the 25 schools I applied to. I, myself, was very surprised by all these love I was getting because it's not like I only took the MCAT once, but 5 times (18, 487, 492, 500, 499). I thought I was going Caribbean as well, and I even applied and got accepted to SGU, but I guess the universe had other plans for me.

You are 100% correct that the newer (particularly the provisionally accredited) DO schools are taking students with low MCATs. I think the trend from what I've seen over the last few years with the DO schools is to focus on GPA rather than MCAT, but you need to have one or the other be decently strong. I am sure there are exceptions (there is to every rule after all) because at the end of the day those schools need to fill their classes too.

I have heard rumblings that the MCAT scoring is going to be reevaluated/re-calibrated now that there is a sufficient data pool. I have believed that the scoring on new test is much hard than the old so it will be interesting to see if the data shows that.

Congrats on your acceptances!

I got accepted into SGU, Ross, and AUC with a 3.5 gpa and a 494 mcat. AUC gave me a merit based scholarship so that is where I am heading in January :) Not sure how the other schools work with scholarships but hope this helps....

Nice!

Then I agree, go to AUC

SGU has slightly better residency relationships

(but not 35K better)

Are you not worried about SXM post-hurricane?

No not really... The current students said that everything is pretty much back to pre-hurricane conditions. But I am worried about future hurricanes haha

This is for SGU specifically. Any people from New York or New Jersey interested in SGU and worried about the financial cost should look into the CityDoctors Scholarship program available to students who are residents of NYC or Bergen County. These scholarships pay a substantial amount of your tuition. To be eligible for these scholarships you commit to primary care. Most people think primary care is only family medicine or internal medicine but even surgery and OB-GYN can apply to this commitment. It is definitely worth checking out and shows how strongly SGU is tied with NY/NJ area.