carribean MD over US MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trapperjohn

Trapper John
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering......has there ever been someone who was accepted into a US MD school but chose to attend a carribean MD school? i assume this would be HIGHLY unlikely since even the lowest tier US MD schools in the worst areas to live seem to be the better choice overall for physician preparation and better residency matches. if there has been, why did you chose to go to the carribean??

Members don't see this ad.

LOOK there are tons of Carib vers USA threads here all that will happen is bashing of the Carib. :scared:

Really one should go to school in the US but if the only way to persue medicine is the Carib then thats where you go. :confused: :sleep:

trapperjohn said:
just wondering......has there ever been someone who was accepted into a US MD school but chose to attend a carribean MD school? i assume this would be HIGHLY unlikely since even the lowest tier US MD schools in the worst areas to live seem to be the better choice overall for physician preparation and better residency matches. if there has been, why did you chose to go to the carribean??
When I was at ROSS, there was one girl of some East-Aisian descent, who was accepted to US allo school. The common knowledge was that she couldn't stay in the States because her parents were so overbearing that she "ran away" from them. Way too many ppl who knew her personally (I did not) told me that. Well she maintained 4.0 GPA, even in such craphole like Dominica. I tend to believe it was true i.e she was accepted in U.S. She definitely was not the type"oh, I could get in Harvard, just didn't want to wait a another year" or "I get my MD in 38 months, and I like to travel and adventure" :rolleyes: :smuggrin: . Well, I guess the answer to your Q is "Yes", but certainly not by choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
billydoc said:
When I was at ROSS, there was one girl of some East-Aisian descent, who was accepted to US allo school. The common knowledge was that she couldn't stay in the States because her parents were so overbearing that she "ran away" from them. Way too many ppl who knew her personally (I did not) told me that. Well she maintained 4.0 GPA, even in such craphole like Dominica. I tend to believe it was true i.e she was accepted in U.S. She definitely was not the type"oh, I could get in Harvard, just didn't want to wait a another year" or "I get my MD in 38 months, and I like to travel and adventure" :rolleyes: :smuggrin: . Well, I guess the answer to your Q is "Yes", but certainly not by choice.

By they way.....8 students have transferred out of Ross to US allopathic schools within the last year!

Reasons .....they all want careers like CT surgery, cardio, etc....

trapperjohn said:
Whoever did was a ******. US Med will make life and finances much more easier for you.