Carribean Med School Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinyteethforme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I've been researching about Carribean Medical Schools for quite some time but have yet to get a "straight" answer about its admissions.
Here are a few questions that I had regarding the medical schools there.
1) Which Carribean Schools have guarantee rotations and residency in all 50 states? I hear SGU and Ross are a few. What about AUC?
2) What are the GPA and MCAT requirements for these schools? (Again, I couldn't find any definite answer)
3) If I have a 3.3 undergrad GPA, and haven't taken the MCAT yet, should I apply for a post bacc to increase my GPA if I want to go to the Carribean?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you actually did the research you would have found these answers already.

I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered:

1. You can have your rotations and residency in all 50 states if you go to SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba. Saba, however, isn't eligible for federal loans like the other three are, but that's a separate consideration entirely.

2. It's best to call the admissions offices and ask each one individually.

3. That GPA is good for all the top Caribbean schools, so there shouldn't be any real need for a post-bacc.

A good source for information about Caribbean schools is http://valuemd.com

Also, remember to consider all your options before considering the Caribbean route (such as some of the "lower-tier" osteopathic schools). The top Caribbean schools have graduated thousands of fine physicians, but it'll always be a bit easier to be a U.S. grad when it comes to finding a good residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered:

1. You can have your rotations and residency in all 50 states if you go to SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba. Saba, however, isn't eligible for federal loans like the other three are, but that's a separate consideration entirely.

2. It's best to call the admissions offices and ask each one individually.

3. That GPA is good for all the top Caribbean schools, so there shouldn't be any real need for a post-bacc.

A good source for information about Caribbean schools is http://valuemd.com

Also, remember to consider all your options before considering the Caribbean route (such as some of the "lower-tier" osteopathic schools). The top Caribbean schools have graduated thousands of fine physicians, but it'll always be a bit easier to be a U.S. grad when it comes to finding a good residency.

Thank You So Much!
=) I appreciate all the information. And yes, this was just a back up option. I prefer DO anyways.

3) If I have a 3.3 undergrad GPA, and haven't taken the MCAT yet, should I apply for a post bacc to increase my GPA if I want to go to the Carribean?

If I were you, I would take the MCAT and do a post-bacc to try to get into US schools, if anything. Assuming you have a good MCAT score, a US school may take you if your GPA considerably improves with your post-bacc grades. 3.3 will probably be sufficient to get you into one of the big four Caribbean schools, so if you just want to go to the Caribbean, you probably won't need a post-bacc.

However, the Caribbean should really be a last resort, if you've tried at least twice to get into US schools, and have really worked to improve your application, and still haven't managed to get in. I suggest you try to ace the MCAT, then apply to a post-bacc to improve your GPA, and then apply to both US MD and DO schools first.