Carribean Medical School Stats - OFFICIAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

ekimsurfer

Hey guys,
I was doing some research and came across this website which actually has the stats for several of the carribean schools that they officially document and have decided to release on their own accord. They seem pretty legitimate to me. Here is the link:

http://www.iaomc.org/databank.htm

Scroll to the bottom. Schools listed are:

Saba School of Medicine
Ross University School of Medicine
St. Matthews School of Medicine
Medical University school of Lublin
Medical University of Silesia

Members don't see this ad.

I took back some of my posts, I looked into it after some thinking but I'm still not satisfied to the real worth or validity, this is not the LCME this is different. ACCM should be continued since they are active and they should be improved upon why must everyone reinvent the wheel?

This is a great idea. The organization is young, but they have the goal of setting up some standards and reviewings chools. It is about time someone established some organization that is similiar to LCME for Caribbean schools. I'm surprised nothing like this has been started earlier by Ross, Saba, AUC, SGU since they applied to LCME and were denied based on the fact they must be founded in the US. A LCME review never took place.

With the vast expansion of caribbean med schools in the last 10 years some kind of accredidation standard is needed. If residency directors know Caribbean schools have standards that are reviewed in an LCME like format by a governing body; it will help quickly to rid the prejudice some have against Caribbean IMG's. In theory the schools will have a reason to improve to meet these standards to be accredited by this organization. Also, the schools with shady and dubious records will be more likely to close and we will hear less stories about people getting shafted!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great idea. The organization is young, but they have the goal of setting up some standards and reviewings chools. It is about time someone established some organization that is similiar to LCME for Caribbean schools. I'm surprised nothing like this has been started earlier by Ross, Saba, AUC, SGU since they applied to LCME and were denied based on the fact they must be founded in the US. A LCME review never took place.

With the vast expansion of caribbean med schools in the last 10 years some kind of accredidation standard is needed. If residency directors know Caribbean schools have standards that are reviewed in an LCME like format by a governing body; it will help quickly to rid the prejudice some have against Caribbean IMG's. In theory the schools will have a reason to improve to meet these standards to be accredited by this organization. Also, the schools with shady and dubious records will be more likely to close and we will hear less stories about people getting shafted!

Again the Idea is good, but the Org may not be effective I fear, there is the ACCM a real org who accredits the Caribbean schools among others.

Until it is verified I do not take mch stock in the org, the USA DOE recognizes the ACCM not this org..................

I changed this cause it seems it may be real but without teeth...................I still do not know....................

AAIMG all over? Another Scam? Never heard of this before!

"Past president of the world medical association" What is that? It's not WHO!

Why are you so against the establishment of an organization like LCME for Caribbean schools?

UNIVERSAL STANDARDS IN EDUCATION ARE A GOOD THING!

Personally I think the good schools would welcome it and students should too. The only schools that would try to discredit and not want this organization are the schools that know they can't meet the standard over time. The Tier I (50 state approved)and Tier II schools ( NY state approved) can distinguish themselves. It could bring some kind of order to the mess of 20+ off shore schools with no way to tell standards. It could eventually eliminate many of the questions on this board about schools standards, records, etc.

Again the Idea is good, but the Org is a fake I fear, there is the ACCM a real org who accredits the Caribbean schools among others.

Until it is verified I do not take mch stock in the org, the USA DOE recognizes the ACCM not this org..................

AACM I tried to google it and didn't get an appropriate hit. Do they have a website? I'd like to see who they have accredited. If they accredited places like Spartan than I would be skeptical of them.

AACM I tried to google it and didn't get an appropriate hit. Do they have a website? I'd like to see who they have accredited. If they accredited places like Spartan than I would be skeptical of them.

Why would you put your faith in CON MEN, AAIMG was a CON and this may be, Questioning the legitimacy of an org is the right thing not the wrong thing, this may be another marketing ploy, the school that is listed 4th is known to do such things. Have you ever heard of them? They are an Eastern European school...................................I know of them.

ACCM accredits the Big 4 and SMU.

It is right on the web sites if the Big 4. And the USA DOE ( department of Education ) calls them Legit. ANd no they have no web site. It took me time to check them out before the visits they have made to my school, real MD's Visted ( well MBBS's )

Decisions: Countries Determined to Have Comparable Accreditation Standards for Medical Schools

The countries listed below have been reviewed by the NCFMEA and found to use standards to accredit their medical schools that are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the United States. The date(s) in parentheses is (are) the date(s) of the Committee's decision(s) of comparability.

AUSTRALIA (2/95 and 3/01) - Australian Medical Council (AMC)
(Note: The Australian Medical Council also accredits medical schools in New Zealand under the terms of an agreement with that country.)

CANADA (2/95 and 3/01) - Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS)

CAYMAN ISLANDS (9/02, 9/03 and 9/04) - Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM)
(Note: In September 2002, the NCFMEA determined that based on the most recent information and materials received, the standards and processes to be used by the Cayman Islands to evaluate and accredit St. Matthew's University School of Medicine are comparable to those used to accredit medical schools in the United States. However, the NCFMEA limited the period of comparability to one year. In September 2003, the NCFMEA extended the period of comparability for another year. In September 2004, the NCFMEA extended the period of comparability for three years.)

COSTA RICA (3/99) - Consejo Nacional de Ensenanza Superior Universitaria Privada (CONESUP)

CZECH REPUBLIC (3/98 and 9/04) - Czech Republic Accreditation Commission (CRAC)

DOMINICA (10/97 and 3/01) - Medical Board/Ministry of Health & Social Security

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (10/97 and 3/04) - National Council of Higher Education, Science and Technology (SEESCYT)

GRENADA (9/96 and 3/01) - Grenada Ministry of Health, Social Security, The Environment, and Ecclesiastical Relations in conjunction with the New York State Department of Education's Office of the Professions

HUNGARY (3/97 and 3/03) - Hungarian Accreditation Committee (HAC)

INDIA (3/97 and 3/03) - Medical Council of India (MCI)

IRELAND (3/97 and 9/03) - Irish Medical Council (IMC)

ISRAEL (9/99) - Council for Higher Education

MEXICO (10/97 and 3/04) - Mexican Board for the Accreditation of Medical Education (COMAEM)

MONTSERRAT (10/97) -See ST. MAARTEN

NETHERLANDS(3/98) - Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science

PAKISTAN (3/97 and 3/03) - Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC)

PHILIPPINES (3/99 and 3/04) - Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU)

POLAND (10/97 and 9/03) - Ministry of Health/Accreditation Committee of Polish Universities of Medical Sciences (ACPUMS)

SABA (3/03) - Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM)

ST. LUCIA (3/03) - Ministry of Health/Medical Accreditation, Approval, and Monitoring Committee
(Note: At the March 2004 meeting, the NCFMEA voted to limit St. Lucia's comparability determination to the accreditation of medical schools presently participating in the Federal Family Education Loan program, pending the request of additional information as outlined in the staff report. At the September 2004 meeting, the NCFMEA voted to extend the limitation on St. Lucia's comparability determination, pending the receipt of additional information for review at the Spring 2005 meeting.)

ST. MAARTEN (3/98 and 3/04) - Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM)
(Note: Because of volcanic activity on Montserrat, the one medical school on Montserrat accredited by the Accreditation Commission is now located on St. Maarten.)

SWEDEN (9/00) - National Agency for Higher Education

TAIWAN (3/02) - Taiwan Medical Accreditation Council (TMAC)

THAILAND (10/98) - Ministry of University Affairs and the Thai Medical Council

UNITED KINGDOM (9/96 and 9/01) - General Medical Council

For More Information

For information on the NCFMEA and its activities, please contact:

NCFMEA Executive Director
US Department of Education
Rm. 7110
1990 K St., N.W.
Washington, DC 20006
Voice: (202) 219-7009, Fax: (202) 219-7008

For information on specific foreign medical schools and their participation in the Federal Family Education Loan Program, contact:

US Department of Education
Foreign Schools Team - Room 73C3
FSA/Schools Channel/CMO
830 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20202-5340
Voice: (202) 377-3168 Fax: (202) 275-3486

From the US DOE web Site the ACCM shows up for a few schools there.

OK I did a lot of reading and really I cannot decide on this one as of yet they have not done too much so really time will tell us if they have a real impact and power or not. So yes I question everything always have.........................

OK I did a lot of reading and really I cannot decide on this one as of yet they have not done too much so really time will tell us if they have a real impact and power or not. So yes I question everything always have.........................

At the site you can see that it is an organization and nothing extremely "official" as every Carribean school is actually accredited by its own native accreditation process/body. Therefore, there is no unified accreditation organization which is what this one is trying to achieve. Furthermore, I feel that they are merely trying to bring some more concrete statistics to help rid the stigma that the Carribean schools have. Overall I think it will be a positive thing, but who knows if the data is skewed as Ross or any of the others can give whatever data they want. I was surprised, however, to see that St. George's was not in their databank as I would like to see their data compared to the others to gain a more insightful look as to how these schools compare. It is definitely an organization to keep track of as they may bring about many positive things in the future. My .05...since it was a little longer..haha.

At the site you can see that it is an organization and nothing extremely "official" as every Carribean school is actually accredited by its own native accreditation process/body. Therefore, there is no unified accreditation organization which is what this one is trying to achieve. Furthermore, I feel that they are merely trying to bring some more concrete statistics to help rid the stigma that the Carribean schools have. Overall I think it will be a positive thing, but who knows if the data is skewed as Ross or any of the others can give whatever data they want. I was surprised, however, to see that St. George's was not in their databank as I would like to see their data compared to the others to gain a more insightful look as to how these schools compare. It is definitely an organization to keep track of as they may bring about many positive things in the future. My .05...since it was a little longer..haha.

Yeah thats why I took it back, I'm so tired of scams to get students to other schools, this may be positive, any regulation can only help in the end.

How does one know that they can trust this resource? How do we know that these numbers are legit? Even if they did actually get the numbers from the schools, how do we know that the schools didn't make up the numbers? What organization is verifying all this information?

Anyways, this is old information. It is from 2004. Do they have more recent stats?

How does one know that they can trust this resource? How do we know that these numbers are legit? Even if they did actually get the numbers from the schools, how do we know that the schools didn't make up the numbers? What organization is verifying all this information?

Anyways, this is old information. It is from 2004. Do they have more recent stats?

Use the stats from ECMFG and some of the schools have some stats, really this is one of the arguments about Caribbean schools little to no regulation.