Carribean or postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwe1450

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a US citizen. I did my undergrad abroad.
Due to change of heart, I decided to pursue a career in medicine. I have 2 options:

enroll in a postbac and take premed prereqs or apply for carribean MD.

I am tempted to choose carribean MD to save the time and debt incurred to do the postbac. Also doing a postbac does not guarantee acceptance into a US MD or DO program.

I understand people do not recommend the carribean schools because it is hard to get a decent residency. For me, I want to pursue medicine because I like helping people. I am fine practicing as a family doctor or pediatrician.

My question is can graduates of Carribean MD schools practice as family medicine without residency or is it easy for them to get pediatrics or family medicine residency in the US?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

To be licensed to practice medicine in the US, you must do a residency in the US (or Canada). The proportion of admitted students to Caribbean schools that eventually get a residency is very small. Do you feel lucky, punk?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding onto what LizzM wrote, the number of Caribbean graduates who match to a residency is quite low (around 50%). This says nothing of the number of students that enroll and either drop or are failed out of the program (also have pretty high rates). You ultimately have to realize that Caribbean medical schools are operated by for profit entities that are trying to make a profit. This means high course enrollment, and subpar facilities to try and extract every cent. By the time you finish your coursework, Caribbean programs pay hospitals in the US to take on their students for rotations. Often times this means students go to several hospitals over the course of two years. You should take note that they are paying for you to do this. They have every incentive for you not to pass your classes and get to this point.

The road to becoming a doctor is littered with the mistakes of those who try and rush the process (one of my best friends included). My advice is take the extra time and try to earn a spot in a medical program that is not trying to spread profits to shareholders. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 3 users
"My question is can graduates of Carribean MD schools practice as family medicine without residency or is it easy for them to get pediatrics or family medicine residency in the US?"

Also I forgot to mention that no medical school graduate from any country including the US can practice medicine in the US without completing a residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Run, don't walk towards your post-bacc. Maintain strong grades and a aim for a 510+ on the MCAT.

Due to change of heart, I decided to pursue a career in medicine. I have 2 options:

What about the option of entering a medical school in the country where you earned your bachelors degree?

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're missing a step here. You have to have something like 90+ credit hours completed in the US to matriculate to a medical school in the US. Meaning, your foreign bachelor's degree won't count for anything. You can't jump to a post-bacc -- you need a full on bachelor's.

Considering the average PRIVATE educational debt accrued by Carribean students, you could take a post bac in the US AND complete a US medical school education with less debt than if you took the immediate matriculation to the Carribean.

Please, don't go Carribean. The disadvantages are hard to ignore and the statistical likelihood of success is far too slim for a 500K gamble.

Hello,

I am tempted to choose carribean MD to save the time and debt incurred to do the postbac. Also doing a postbac does not guarantee acceptance into a US MD or DO program.

I understand people do not recommend the carribean schools because it is hard to get a decent residency. For me, I want to pursue medicine because I like helping people. I am fine practicing as a family doctor or pediatrician.

My question is can graduates of Carribean MD schools practice as family medicine without residency or is it easy for them to get pediatrics or family medicine residency in the US?
Thanks.
Do you like the idea of being unemployed, never able to be a doctor, and driving for Uber? Because that's your more likely fate from going to a Carib diploma mill.

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

FROM THE WISE @gyngyn

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of spots at US schools with grade replacement for these candidates.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really). If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

Medical School at SGU

Also I forgot to mention that no medical school graduate from any country including the US can practice medicine in the US without completing a residency.
Here are the licensure requirements for every state and US Territory: Federation of State Medical Boards

While there are some that allow licensure after one year for American MD grads, nearly all have at least a two-year requirement for International Medical Grads.

I think you're missing a step here. You have to have something like 90+ credit hours completed in the US to matriculate to a medical school in the US. Meaning, your foreign bachelor's degree won't count for anything. You can't jump to a post-bacc -- you need a full on bachelor's.

Hi, I would just like to ask if taking a masters program would count towards the number of credit hours for a foreign degree holder to matriculate to medical school. Or does it have to be an undergrad degree/course? Thank you!

Hi, I would just like to ask if taking a masters program would count towards the number of credit hours for a foreign degree holder to matriculate to medical school. Or does it have to be an undergrad degree/course? Thank you!
To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't count. There's a 90 credit hour minimum that I believe is strictly for undergraduate credits. But it's been 2 years since I looked at AMCAS so you'd have to check that.

Edited to add: Regardless, you have to have an American bachelor's to matriculate, even if you have foreign degrees.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't count. There's a 90 credit hour minimum that I believe is strictly for undergraduate credits. But it's been 2 years since I looked at AMCAS so you'd have to check that.

Edited to add: Regardless, you have to have an American bachelor's to matriculate, even if you have foreign degrees.

Damn, alright. Thanks for the info!

I went to SGU and landed my #1 residency spot in IM. Feel free to PM me if you have a question about offshore.

Hi, I would just like to ask if taking a masters program would count towards the number of credit hours for a foreign degree holder to matriculate to medical school. Or does it have to be an undergrad degree/course?
I've seen both masters and PhD credits count toward the minimum credits required to be earned at some US or Canadian institutions toward US med school requirements for those with foreign degrees.

And while 1-2 MD schools do require an entire BS earned at a US school, that is not true of the vast majority which will be satisfied with any bachelors and the required US/Canadian credits (which vary from 30-90, depending on institution and usually include the basic prerequisites).

Please check with individual schools via website or a phone call before making decisions, as requirements vary widely and are impossible to generalize.

Edit: Old, but helpful thread: Nontraditional International student

Last edited:
Why not do a postbacc/SMP that DOES guarantee acceptance to MD/DO?
Do you know which programs guarantee acceptance to MD/DO? Do you mean like a linkage. I understand linkages are not guaranteed?
Thanks.

VCOM also has one where you have to get a certain MCAT score and correlating GPA. If you get a 490, you have to get a 4.0 in the program, if you get a 494, you have to get a 3.6. Also, they only let you borrow money from wells fargo or Sallie Mae.

OP, have you taken any pre rec coursework or the MCAT? I ask because even if you do really well in the coursework, you might end up bombing the MCAT and/or vice versa. In which case, do not go to the Caribbean.

Its a 50% chance of failing out at the Caribbean. Everyone thinks that they won't be at the bottom 50% of the class, even people at the bottom of the 50%. Keep in mind that those who likely succeed in the caribbean are not the students with the subpar scores, but Canadians who have excellent scores but couldn't get into school in Canada and/or vain premed students in the US who were fine for DO school, but didn't want to go because Mommy and Daddy would have to explain his peasant child was attending a "DO" school instead of an MD one at weddings, what shame (friend of the family actually did this for this reason).

OP, if all else fails, go to podiatry school. It gives you the best chance of actually practicing medicine in the united states if your grades arnt up to par (<3.2 GPA, <495 MCAT). You get to be a surgeon if you choose to and its a pretty sweet lifestyle, you get to help people walk again!
LECOM is one. I think EVMS and Rosy Franklin do the same.