Carribean schools and endocrine specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering going to med school in the carribean, but i was wondering if that would significantly affect my chances of getting a residency in endocrinology, if at all. Does any one know? thanks for your help.
 
Endocrinology is great 👍

Endocrinology training consists of a residency in internal medicine followed by a fellowship in endocrinology. Internal medicine residencies are quite easy to get into, even for MDs from the carribeans. For the fellowship your performance during residency is much more important than where you went to medical school. So I think it should be possible.

Of course, if possible at all you should go to a US school though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hardy said:
Of course, if possible at all you should go to a US school though.

I agree. It's just that applying to a carrbean school would save time, as i can just complete my pre-reqs next year and apply (i already have a bachelor's and completed the mcat with a 27). For a US school, I would probably have to re-do the MCAT, and go through an SMP (like georgetown etc) on top of completing pre-reqs to make up for my 3.1 cgpa, which would take an extra year. I'm not completely decided at this moment though, as i'm still considering my options.
 
bravotwozero said:
I agree. It's just that applying to a carrbean school would save time, as i can just complete my pre-reqs next year and apply (i already have a bachelor's and completed the mcat with a 27). For a US school, I would probably have to re-do the MCAT, and go through an SMP (like georgetown etc) on top of completing pre-reqs to make up for my 3.1 cgpa, which would take an extra year. I'm not completely decided at this moment though, as i'm still considering my options.
I agree that getting into Endocrine should not be problem for an IMG who has completeted IM at a reputable program.However dont make a choice of a med school based on this.Keep your options open as the liklihood of changing your mind about specialties is high.There are reasons Endo is not highly competitive and perhaps you will consider other options down the line.
 
ny skindoc said:
I agree that getting into Endocrine should not be problem for an IMG who has completeted IM at a reputable program.However dont make a choice of a med school based on this.Keep your options open as the liklihood of changing your mind about specialties is high.There are reasons Endo is not highly competitive and perhaps you will consider other options down the line.


i 100% agree with ny...also...don't forget that things that are not competitive NOW may be so in the next 5-10 years, and things that ARE comeptitive now may not be so...

GI comes to mind....while it's rediculously hard to get a fellowship in it now (whether you are an IMG or an AMG), it was relatively easy 5 or so years back....ever since colonoscopies became a standard of care, GI became progressively more difficult to get in....